Reyes simply has no way to beat Jones...

Of course he does. The blueprint is there. Jones is hittable.

Reyes has to get into and stay in boxing range. He has to land hard when Jones throws kicks, and he has to be willing to take some punishment to get in his range. We've seen glimpses of what it takes from Machida, Rampage and we saw a lot of it from Gus and Santos. It's not easy, but there's a way. I like Santos' chance just fine. Jones has dropped a lot of rounds in his career. I could see Santos landing heavy in the first or second and then doing just enough in the other rounds to win a decision.

Terrible match up for Jones IMO.

Reyes is a superior technical striker with KO power in his arms and legs. He's an accurate counter striker who knows how to pick his spots. Reyes is also an excellent leg kicker. Jones was getting crushed by Santos in that department.

Jones tends to struggle against southpaws and guys who are his size, and he's regressed into a left-side dominant range kickboxer.

Unless Jones's dominant wrestling game reemerges out of nowhere, I think that he's in for a very long night.

This fight should be getting more buzz, but that's on Jones for fucking up so many times and alienating a ton of people.

Like someone else previously mentioned, DC is criminally underrated at LHW. The fact that he was able to defeat Gustafsson and Rumble (twice) and that they couldn't damage him, no matter what, always boggled my mind. He easily destroyed Volkan Oezdemir too.
Wizz, I wouldn't agree fully on that. Daniel is well respected by fans and media as one of the best LHW ever. 2nd best after Jon. He tainted his legacy a bit by losing to Stipe, and people have short memory IMO. But for the more dedicated fans - they know how good he is.
DC was in a war with Gus, tho. DC had to dig deep to pull off the victory.
Daniel is a killing machine if you have obvious flaws in your game. Very different than Jones, who very often lets peope off the hook. I bet you Daniel would just pulverise Lion Heart and Marreta. He wouldn't fuck around for 5 rounds vs journeymen MWs, like Jon did. Daniel's style is much more punishing if you are not 100% prepare to face him in all areas. Anthony Smith's wrestling defence is improved since he left MW, but not good enough for DC, and Santos' wrestling is on similar level + he is very sloppy with his hands.

I guess there's nobody left to try and take if from Jones. 15 title defenses?

Like someone else previously mentioned, DC is criminally underrated at LHW. The fact that he was able to defeat Gustafsson and Rumble (twice) and that they couldn't damage him, no matter what, always boggled my mind. He easily destroyed Volkan Oezdemir too.

Make no mistake - he is an eyepoking cheater that shamelessly resorted to dirty tactics in order to combat Stipe. Before that, he also perpetrated "Towelgate." Still, putting that aside, I think DC was the motivation for Jones to be the best in the LHW division, especially because DC was able to defeat opponents no one thought he would defeat. In other words, if Jones didn't exist, DC would have been the LHW GOAT.

Now that DC is gone, I feel like Jones has declined.

sGpFwmv.gif

giphy.gif

That's exactly what I am talking about. Cormier received devastating blows and it seemed like he recovered immediately. Not just in that fight, but also against Rumble. Cormier was terrifying in his own right. I always pictured him somewhat like a beetle or a turtle. I always had doubts about Miocic defeating him because punches never seemed to have an effect on Cormier's face. Amazingly enough, his body was his weakness.

Still, I can see the argument being made of Gustafsson back in the day having been better than both DC and Jones and having defeated them. In fact, it's because Gustafsson defeated Jones that I didn't see how DC could have given Gustafsson a halfway decent fight, but I was proven wrong.

Unless they let someone else pulse, there is no one at LHW who can touch Jones... except Father Time of course

First 3-4 minutes will decide the fight.

That's exactly what I am talking about. Cormier received devastating blows and it seemed like he recovered immediately. Not just in that fight, but also against Rumble. Cormier was terrifying in his own right. I always pictured him somewhat like a beetle or a turtle. I always had doubts about Miocic defeating him because punches never seemed to have an effect on Cormier's face. Amazingly enough, his body was his weakness.

Still, I can see the argument being made of Gustafsson back in the day having been better than both DC and Jones and having defeated them. In fact, it's because Gustafsson defeated Jones that I didn't see how DC could have given Gustafsson a halfway decent fight, but I was proven wrong.
I thought you meant that Daniel Cormier didn't get hurt in that fight, just a misunderstanding on my part. But yeah, Gus was really close against both Jones and DC. Who knows, some refs could have stopped the fight right there and then against DC after the knockdown. It would be an early stoppage, but still.

I feel like Reyes has to take control of the octagon early and stay in boxing range, which is obviously easier said than done against Jones where the threat of a takedown is always there. But If he let Jones lead and take control of the Octagon, then it's a done deal, Jones wins it comfortably in my opinion.

I think Gus was never the same after Jones war and Rumble knockout, he became lesser fighter.

If Reyes Oblique kicked, then eye poked 2x the kicked Jones in the Jimmy, received his warnings and then KOd Jones what would you be saying? Absolute statements. SMDH.

And Im not calling Jones a cheat, I think he takes advantage of his size and the rules just as he is supposed to do, and does it better to others than others have done to him. So what if Reyes did these things, would you say he beat Jones?

He just has to land one good combo. That being said this is Jones' fight to lose

Santos was the man to beat Jones (he arguably did). I don't think Reyes is as much of a threat but you never know until the fight happens. Jones by RNC

Reyes will box jones' ears to a 3rd rd TKO. Reyes has a wrestling background, and coupled with his athleticism, will be enough to defend against the takedowns.

Jones has used less wrestling in each fight.

As others have said, by cutting angles, staying in Boxing range, and by putting fist to chin.

Defensive wrestling, long-range destruction through leg n body kicks, setting up the head kick.

Reyes Bless.

Where there is a will there is a way. I think that is how that saying goes. Anyway at long shot odds it's still a shot. Many of us are hopeful that Reyes will find a way to pull off that upset.

He has a decent shot if he can avoid or minimize ground fighting and clinch fighting. Still, the longer the fight goes the more it will favor Jones' experience. If he sees some of Reyes' best stuff and doesn't get hurt then I think it's a matter of time before he starts finding Dom's weaknesses and exploiting them.

I like that confidence! I have my fingers crossed.
Not sure if it was really confidence on my part...I was a couple of drinks in when I posted that. :)
But in all seriousness, I think Reyes may very well get this done tonight. Sherdog will go off the goddamn chain if that happens.

Back