Rewatched the fight and observed...

Alot of fights at the upper weights slow down in the 4th and 5th though

Yeah, it's unfortunate. It makes you appreciate the great 15 round HW boxing fights like Norton/Holmes or Ali/Frazier 1 all the more (not to make comparisons between the stamina required for boxing as opposed to MMA and so on).

usually, fighters use their knee to break the wrist grip. was wondering the whole time why dc wasn't. maybe afraid to give up his leg idk.

tumblr_nhno82LfVq1u2ragso1_500.gif

DC looked like he kinda quit after this

I saw much of the same TS, but given my stoking the flames of Jones-white-knighting I avoided making a thread about it.

I was surprised we didn't see more elbows by Jones, but him giving them up to retain wrist control makes sense.

Also, while I saw a lot of people hating the "stalling" outside of the 5th I fond it absolutely fascinating. I cannot recall seeing two men lock horns so often without a cage holding one of them up. It was like watching two elk lock up in an open field.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. It makes you appreciate the great 15 round HW boxing fights like Norton/Holmes or Ali/Frazier 1 all the more (not to make comparisons between the stamina required for boxing as opposed to MMA and so on).

Fk I miss the old days. So much less stalling and hugging. Guys had to work their way outta it back then. Now it's just heg fests 70% of the time.

Fk I miss the old days. So much less stalling and hugging. Guys had to work their way outta it back then. Now it's just heg fests 70% of the time.

Well, that's not always the case. Frazier/Ali 2 and much of Ali's late career involved a ton of clinching. Clinchwork and infighting used to be a much bigger part of boxing than it is nowadays, actually.

[YT]tfy0ZzHYHO4[/YT]

I'm starting to think that this interview needs to have a stickied thread for the next month so people can stop talking about DC's cardio.

He slowed down mostly from the body shots. He was hurt early by one and every one after that sapped him more and more. Combine that with the high pace they fought at for the first 3 rounds and the grueling clinch work and it's clear to see why the last 2 rounds played out the way they did.

Cormier did say he took the 4th round off but to me I don't think he had much muster if he hadn't. His strikes were coming slower already in the 3rd and he was being controlled in the clinch then as well for extended periods.

Jones gameplan paid off.

Jones destroyed an dominated every round from beginning to end

Another point. DC's uppercuts and Jones headkicks were enough to floor about anyone else in the division, yet each man ate them like jabs. That was one of the amazing things by both of them to me

It was annoying when people started saying that close fights that didn't go their were "robberies", now even clear wins are contested. Dc did pretty good, but he lost. DC knows he lost, Jones knows he lost, all 3 judges knows he lost. He lost, it's over.

DC's posture at the end of the 3rd or 4th (can't remember which) showed he had basically given up mentally. His head hung low, and even his cornermen kept telling him something like "head up, get your head up."

He essentially had the look of a beaten man.

I disagree with both point #4's. Cormier barely did any striking in that round. All he had was a slam that resulted in nothing. And his glimmer of wrestling technique still resulted in nothing. It doesn't count as winning the grappling if you got no result from it. It's like saying a guy won the striking exchange for missing a tornado kick only because the other guy was only jabbing.

Otherwise, I agree.

Takedowns score points, as per the rules.

Just another theory from a hater. Cardio wasn't the issue for DC. Jones body punches and knees were big factors. TS like any other hater trying to discredit Jones in the guise of DC having bad cardio. LoL. Hate to break it to you....Aaaand stiiilll!

I agree with you that it wasn't cardio, it was the body punches and knees that gassed Cormier out. But when you create some silly narrative that everyone who disagrees with you only because they hate a certain fighter you just make yourself look stupid. Just argue the facts and drop the stupid children stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back