Rewatched the fight and observed...

Jesus, LHW's arent allowed to slow down in brutal title fights without being accused of having inadequate cardio. They arent robots ffs. Not enough people get punched and kicked in the gut for my liking round here.

It honestly didn't seem to me that DC really 'gassed' either.

It really seemed more that after Jones managed to snatch that TD in particular, he just completely lost his 'riddum' so to speak.

Couldn't find proper distance nor hold in the clinch anymore.

Jones just started to be one step ahead.

I really think he did run out of gas (and people shouldn't take this as an excuse as stamina might be the most important attribute in MMA and Jones was better in said aspect which speaks to his quality as a fighter) for the simple reason that he stopped moving his hands even when he was at good distance to do so. He just completely stopped punching in the 4th round and he admitted after that he had to take round 4 off in order to keep enough gas in the tank for round 5.

jones won round 5 by a wide margin.

LOL. Almost nothing at all happened in the 5th outside of DC's half-takedown. Claiming anything about round five being by a wide margin besides "it was the shittiest round" is groundless.

I genrally agree on all points,bu as someone said,it wasnt just cormiers cardio,its all the shots he took walking.in on Jones

Jesus, LHW's arent allowed to slow down in brutal title fights without being accused of having inadequate cardio. They arent robots ffs. Not enough people get punched and kicked in the gut for my liking round here.

I don't think a lot of people are criticizing Jones or Cormier so much as explaining why very little meaningful offense happened in rounds 4 and 5. It was because they set such a hellacious pace and fought such a gruelling style for the first 3 rounds that they slowed down so much (the body work is another relevant point that goes towards explaining this).

Agreed with everything except this.

Body blows won the fight. Nobody takes what Jones landed on the midriff of DC and finishes a fight strongly--particularly at LHW.

DC visibly showed that the body shots hurt him, and he said so after the fight.

Jack Slack pointed out before the fight that DC can't take body shots. The few times people have landed them on him you can see the pain on his face.

Without the body shots, I think DC takes that fight.

Pretty good analysis. Plus, close rounds will always go to the champion.

Nothing in the scoring criteria states this and practice certainly doesn't corroborate this as a firm rule either in light of such fights as Hendricks/Lawler 2, Bendo/Edgar 1, Penn/Edgar 1, etc.

LOL. Almost nothing at all happened in the 5th outside of DC's half-takedown. Claiming anything about round five being by a wide margin besides "it was the shittiest round" is groundless.

Don't forget the great left hook Jones landed after DC thought the fight was over

I don't think a lot of people are criticizing Jones or Cormier so much as explaining why very little meaningful offense happened in rounds 4 and 5. It was because they set such a hellacious pace and fought such a gruelling style for the first 3 rounds that they slowed down so much (the body work is another relevant point that goes towards explaining this).

People here are definitely saying that the fight sucked,didn't live up to the hype because if this and the fact no one died,and that ufc is dying..haha. no pleasing some people!

Most of those points are reasonable, I'd say. I don't give Cormier the 5th, though. I score that 10-10 or give it barely to Jones. Neither did enough to earn the round outright, really, but Jones was at least slightly busier with his striking so if I was going to give it to anyone, I'd give it to Jones. Your point about the perceptions going in skewing the understanding of what actually happened is important. Since many thought Cormier was going to dominate Jones in the wrestling, anything less than that was viewed as a massive victory for Jones. The only round where the grappling was truly one sided was the 4th round.

we need to start seeing 10-10 rounds. so many times a round has no compelling winner.

People here are definitely saying that the fight sucked,didn't live up to the hype because if this and the fact no one died,and that ufc is dying..haha. no pleasing some people!

The fight wasn't very good in the 4th and 5th rounds. It was great for the first 3, but only suspense and the stakes made the last two rounds even interesting. It happens sometimes and you have to take the good with the bad.

DC's cardio only failed because Jones hit him with solid body shots throughout the fight. DC admitted this on FS1. Felt a rib get messed up in the first or second round, then Jon's straight body punches did him in later on.

Agreed with everything except this.

Body blows won the fight. Nobody takes what Jones landed on the midriff of DC and finishes a fight strongly--particularly at LHW.

Mir's kicks to the body hurt DC, Jones doesn't have much power and never really hurt him. It must have made a difference but not that much. DC gassed out because he is a heavier, more muscular build.

2. As of the third round, DC was outlanding Jones by 86 to 81 significant strikes.

According to fight metric at the end of the third round Jones had landed 65 significant strikes to DC's 51.

Significant and Total Strikes:

Jones Rd 1: 25/55 28/55 Rd2: 16/36 21/36 Rd3: 24/43 28/43

Cormier Rd 1: 18/48 21/48 Rd2: 18/46 23/46 Rd3: 15/47 19/47

cormier didn't land 86 significant strikes total for the entire fight. his total was 58 significant strikes and 78 total strikes landed. compared to jones 92 and 126.

cormier clearly won the 2nd round IMO. he got in close and landed some big shots on jones. cormier came out too slow in the 1st and jones was able to outwork him in that round and cormier did the same in the 3rd round.

jones won rounds 4 and 5 by a wide margin.

cormier allowed jones to control the tempo from the beginning of the fight. outside of the 2nd round, jones was able to dictate the fight. both were visibly gassed going into the 4th, but jones dug deeper and did what all great champions do in the championship rounds.

the judges got the score right for once, 4 rounds jones, 1 cormier.

Agreed. I think that scoring the 3rd for DC wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility; but no problem with 4 rounds to 1. Working for the TD in the 5th is what kept him from having any chance at a win (or even a split decision loss based on the score cards.)

DC was gassed by the end of the 2nd

he let emotions get to him

After rewatching the fight, I think Jones every round except for the 2nd round (except, maybe, the 5th where jackshit happened). I thought the 3rd round was close, but after the fight again, I thought Jones won pretty clearly.

The fight wasn't very good in the 4th and 5th rounds. It was great for the first 3, but only suspense and the stakes made the last two rounds even interesting. It happens sometimes and you have to take the good with the bad.

Alot of fights at the upper weights slow down in the 4th and 5th though

I've said it before and I'll say it again
Jones won every round except for the 2nd

Dying ding ding. People are really reaching. That happens after every Jones fight though.

DC felt the superiority of Jones in the first round. He came out like gangbusters in the second because he knew it was his only chance. That's why he won that round and only that round.

Back