Review of 3 NYC BJJ Schools

Is this flame? If not, shut the fuck up. The thread starter posted his opinion of the schools based on what he saw. Don't be such an oversensitive little bitch.

To the TS, I think the fees at Renzo's jump up as soon as you get like 3 stripes on your white belt and enter the "purple belt program" or some shit. Then, they jump up again when you are a blue and you enter the "black belt program." And, of course they don't mention this bullshit when you first sign up.

This is what I was told. Feel free to correct it if it is wrong. If it is correct and you don't like me calling it bullshit, tough shit.

go fuck yourself you little dick. he is not stating facts, he is whining more than anything. that is my opinion based on his post. that is a fact. stop being a **** and worry about the post.

TS,

Welcome to the wonderful world of bjj politics. I had to sacrifice my first born son to join Cesar Gracie's academy. I also had to sign a waiver stating I forfeit all my personal possessions if I change schools.

Just kidding...

I'm sure if you came to my academy just once you might not get the right impression either. There are things we need to work on. But we are growing and changing for the better.

In the beginning there were no other choices. Instructors had secret moves that only some got to learn. We had to endure torturous workouts and endure physical and verbal abuse. Now most academies have to be more "customer friendly."

I think of it more like a family rather than a cult. If you said my sister had a few too many pimples to date her I would get a little pissed. I would have to take a few breaths and calm down. If you dissed my abusive father I'd have to take issue.

I'm originally from New York so I know that many people can be "sales" pushy.

As far as the negative responses go. It's like road rage. We don't see each other face to face so our toughness factor increases.

Thank you to those who provided advice. I plan on checking out Camp Undefeated and Ronin and maybe fighthouse.

If Renzo's was such a good place to train, why do their instructors cancel hundreds of dollars of prepaid private lessons without informing the student that they needed to reschedule, and without offering a refund or a chance to rechedule with other instructors? Why does Renzo's forbid its students from attending seminars at other teams? I used to honestly think Renzo's was one of the best places to learn, but attitudes like those have soured my impression of them.

They might be the best place in the world for you to train. But not everyone is the same person. My school isn't the best for everyone. Your's isn't. Nobody's is. I'm not saying Renzo's is a bad place to train at, but they are not perfect or even close to it either. No place is. All that matters is how you respond. You have to respect the TS's opinion and not blindly dismiss it because you like it there. It doesn't make you better than him either. Just different.
Ive told you several times that I dont train at renzos, however i
-train under 2 renzo blackbelts
-took seminars with/met with many of the renzo instructors(john danaher, gordinho, igor, rolles and daniel gracie, and i think im missing a couple..)
-rolled with a few guys from renzos

and from those three combined, I made up my mind that it is one of the best places to train in the world. Its just my personal opinion, the students i rolled with from renzos whooped my ass, and the instructors tried to teach me their best on how not to get my ass whooped.

All of the instructors were charismatic, friendly, and quite frankly jiu jitsu geniuses

and my teachers are amazing, and if theyre the product of the renzo gracie academy then that just adds to my argument.

Its just my opinion, not only do i have a lot of stuff to back it up with, but it seems like a lot of people would agree with me also.

Im not bashing any other school, but when some guy who knows NOTHING comes online and writes how schools like alliance and renzos have "so-so" instruction, that bothers me

Ive told you several times that I dont train at renzos, however i
-train under 2 renzo blackbelts
-took seminars with/met with many of the renzo instructors(john danaher, gordinho, igor, rolles and daniel gracie, and i think im missing a couple..)
-rolled with a few guys from renzos

and from those three combined, I made up my mind that it is one of the best places to train in the world. Its just my personal opinion, the students i rolled with from renzos whooped my ass, and the instructors tried to teach me their best on how not to get my ass whooped.

All of the instructors were charismatic, friendly, and quite frankly jiu jitsu geniuses

and my teachers are amazing, and if theyre the product of the renzo gracie academy then that just adds to my argument.

Its just my opinion, not only do i have a lot of stuff to back it up with, but it seems like a lot of people would agree with me also.

Im not bashing any other school, but when some guy who knows NOTHING comes online and writes how schools like alliance and renzos have "so-so" instruction, that bothers me

There seems to be hugely conflicting reports on Renzos. Theres peope like yourself and infamousmattyd who cant speak highly enough about the place, but I've also read quite a few posts from other members that back up what the TS has said. Looks like I'm going to go there and see for myself!

There seems to be hugely conflicting reports on Renzos. Theres peope like yourself and infamousmattyd who cant speak highly enough about the place, but I've also read quite a few posts from other members that back up what the TS has said. Looks like I'm going to go there and see for myself!

you can never please anyone...but im telling you, the guys i rolled with from there kicked my ass, and the instructors that i met from there taught me all the stuff i need to know about how not to get my ass kicked.....what more do you need???

your signing up to a jiu jitsu school, you need good training partners and instructors..and thats what seems to be in renzos.

its not a frathouse where you pay money, join, and have 50 "automatic" buddies which you go out with and try to get laid with...

And I'm not a gnub. I trained under Josh for a few months before going to renzo's as well as Tiger Schulman and have been at renzo's for 4 years.

Again, I was only expressing my opinion (distinguished from a factual statement) based on my experience and perspective. I took one class. My review is not based on my training at these places for years. My perspective is one of an outsider who dropped in for a class and knows nothing about bjj. My post was not intended as the word of God. It was intended to provide others who are similarly situated with my thoughts on my experiences at these places.

Consider this before getting your panties in a bunch.

Again, I was only expressing my opinion (distinguished from a factual statement) based on my experience and perspective. I took one class. My review is not based on my training at these places for years. My perspective is one of an outsider who dropped in for a class and knows nothing about bjj. My post was not intended as the word of God. It was intended to provide others who are similarly situated with my thoughts on my experiences at these places.

Consider this before getting your panties in a bunch.

only reason im even wasting time responding to you is because i dont want people who would potentially sign up to renzos to read your posts and then change their minds...all i said was its a good place to train based on my observations, and that just cuz some noob with no experience said they have "so-so" instruction, that people should not pay any attention to that when thinking of joining or visiting.

thats all, i made my statements and im not posting here any more.

think before you post. where you eating a bowl of stupid when posting? there is no excuse for inflammatory remarks and bashing of established BJJ schools.
Another thing, of course there is going to be a sales guy, they have stay in business you dumb dumb. Now your bashing the sales industry. you should right a book on how to win friends. or a book on how to negative and lose friends.

Okay, you are no longer allowed to judge others on grammar mistakes.

This has been an underlying current with any thread related to Renzo's school in NYC:

"How can I get quality training at .99 cent store price?"

For real! Fools!

All kidding aside, try NY jiu Jitsu. its a TMA school with a very good BJJ teacher who teaches their groundwork as well as just BJj ifthats all your interested in. The BJJ instructor is a Renzo black belt, Aaron Milan, his teaching skills are very good.

But you got to remember its how well you learn and apply all these techniques. And some schools may fit you better than others. "No one size shoe fits all!"

Man I am offended by how you spoke about my school, but as a former student of Josh's I am also offended for him. Put some time in the game before you run your mouth.

You should represent your school a bit better instead of telling topic starter to stop running his mouth when he did a review of his experience. Pathetic.

All kidding aside, try NY jiu Jitsu. its a TMA school with a very good BJJ teacher who teaches their groundwork as well as just BJj ifthats all your interested in. The BJJ instructor is a Renzo black belt, Aaron Milan, his teaching skills are very good.

It's the one in SOHO right? Didn't they move down the block and loose him and have purple belt or something teaching now from what I heard.

Thank you to those who provided advice. I plan on checking out Camp Undefeated and Ronin and maybe fighthouse.

Keep us posted.
The BJJ guy at Camp undefeated is Matheus Oliveira he is a purple belt that trains under Eduardo Santos. Matheus won gold in his divison in the 2008 Pan AM's.

I've trained with him once and he's a nice down to earth guy, who jokes with you and everything. He wasn't teaching the class when I trained with him in Queens, but he did seem like a knowledgeable guy. He's probably a great instructor.

I've also heard great things about Fighthouse, but I haven't checked it out myself.

Ronin is a great place to train, very laid back. Not the best if you want GI bjj though. But, you get alot of no gi, 2 possible days of gi, stand up, and wrestling under one price.

again keep us posted

Give the guy a break. I started at Renzo's and all of the teachers were very good, however, how much attention will each person get in a class of 30? Then you have to figure in that your first year you're going to be rolling with almost all low skill white belts which who will not be able to teach you as you roll, you'll be able to reinforce bad habits, and it will also be a bit more dangerous (are you that comfortable doing judo throws with everyone off the street? Then there's crowded mats and people with no spacial sense. And new guys tend to not know how to apply pressure on their locks slowly or tap). Seriously, it was not bad. Magno was an amazing teacher. Rolles was too and Leo too. I stopped training there because Max was, in fact, a bit cold and nasty when he told me that my tuition was going up significantly to train with the blue belts. I could not afford it and I did not appreciate his nasty attitude. So I'm training elsewhere with no regrets. Max is a prick. I had issues asking him once if he had tape to cover up a cut I got during class and he just gave me some smart ass answer that we have to bring our own stuff. It is was not necessary. He's a dick. Other times he gave me a hard time over other nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back