Review of 3 NYC BJJ Schools

OK, I'm new to bjj, and I'm looking rof a gym/school to train in. Here's my review...

Renzo Gracie's:
I found Renzo's to be very cold...a bjj factory. I went in for a trial class and when we had to find a partner, by default, I ended up with a person (girl) half my weight. The instructors didn't notice the disparity for about a good fifteen (of the thrity minutes) into the drills. What the fuck? Renzo's has a lot of great things going for it (obviously), but personalized attention is not one of them. And the sales guy Max is a serious a d-bag (ok, maybe, he;s cool when you get to know him, but he was a "pusshy sales guy"). Instruction was...eh. Instructors weren't really paying attention and assistants didn't know what they were doing...e.g., parring with the wrong hand. Renzo's charges 75 bucks for registration fee and 210 per month on a one year contract. Facilities and schedule are awesome. Work out was not particulary intense. Classes are one hour. Ten minutes of warm up, then instruction, drills and position rolling, and then 5 minutes of strechting to finish.

Alliance NYC:
Alliance had an awesome feel to it. They play fun music while they train. Everyone, including Fabio, was amazingly nice, helpful and welcoming, but the place is tiny and it stinks like by balls. I was told that Lucas Lepri was coming to teach there full time soon, which was a very appealing feature. Alliance's familial feel, success in competition and its connection with the Alliance org is very appealing. The instruction was, again, so so. Fabio showed everyone two moves during the one and one -half hour class. And it's hard for a new guy to understand what he's saying in his accent. They too have a one year contract. They charge 60 for reg fee and 220 for the first month and then 218 per month for the rest of the year. Crazy!!! (Must be to pay off all of the legal fees.) Classes are one and a half hour long. The class had me more winded than any of the others. TOUGH WORKOUT!!!

Studio X (the new one):
Yes, as everyone claims, Josh is very charming and the facilities are DOPE. But there is a cold, souless feeling to the place...maybe because it's so big. The students there were mostly whites and blues. I found Josh's instruction to be far superior to Renzo's and Fabio's, partly (but not entirely) because he spoke english with out an accent. When hour long class began we started right away with the drills. (I notices that everyone strecthed and wamed up before the class began.) Josh took us through drills that progressed into moves he would eventually teach us during the class. Everything was in a progression. This goes into that. That goes into x. X, if x doesn't work, goes into y. Y, if y doesn;t work, takes you to z. X , y and z each being submissions. The students there were super helpful, minus one russian cock gobbler. I rolled with two different guys, both of which were super helpful and Josh asked if there were any questions at the ent of the calls (actually 15 minutes after the class should have ended), which was nice. Fees are 199 per month...period...no contract.

I know everyone here is hardcore and you all view the one year contract as nothing, but for a new guy who can't tell which place is the right one for him or even whether bbj is for him, the one year k is and issue.

With the grat instruction and no k, I' leaning toward the new studio x. But I really want to go to Alliance. The biggest appeal for me going to alliance is the idea of having lepri and other great experienced people to roll with in a familial enviornment.

Also, although I am kind of old, I may want to compete in tournaments some day and think that Josh's rep might hinder that possiblity.

I think the best thing for me would be to start off at Josh's for a while until I learn fundamentals and then move to Alliance, but there is so much bad blood that I don't know if that would be possible.

Thoughts?

you are an ass!!!! you can NOT judge a school based on one day. what do you know about instruction anyway. those are three excellent schools. you should be having a tough time choosing from all the pros, not the cons. you should stay away from the sport in my opinion, you negative dick. Guys like you are not conducive for a positive atmosphere.
besides the fact that students from all three schools post here, students are very protective of the school. Our school is our church. of course your going to offend people. how dare you. I know guys like you. you find negatives in all the positives, always crying and whining when things don't go your way. i here you crying from where i am now. baby.
another thing, use spell check you shit eater.

Our school is our church.

Whoa.

It's funny how much people like to think that BJJ is immune to TMA silliness when people come on here and state that their loyalty to a school is equivalent to religious zealotry.

Please don't equate BJJ schools with religion. That is not how it works.

Sorry for the typos. And sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to be offensive. I take back the comment about Max; I really don't know the dude. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he was being a "sales guy".

I was trying to be honest about how I feel about the places.

I also agree that going to one class is no way to judge the quality of the instruction, but that's all I got, and that's what's making the decision difficult.

think before you post. where you eating a bowl of stupid when posting? there is no excuse for inflammatory remarks and bashing of established BJJ schools.
Another thing, of course there is going to be a sales guy, they have stay in business you dumb dumb. Now your bashing the sales industry. you should right a book on how to win friends. or a book on how to negative and lose friends.

Whoa.

It's funny how much people like to think that BJJ is immune to TMA silliness when people come on here and state that their loyalty to a school is equivalent to religious zealotry.

is that really how it doesn't work. thanks for setting that straight Captain obvious. I was over stating a point. i would never dare relate BJJ ( a science) to religion ( hear-say)

Whoa.

by the way, i love all the CMU videos.

is that really how it doesn't work. thanks for setting that straight Captain obvious. I was over stating a point. i would never dare relate BJJ ( a science) to religion ( hear-say)

Okay.

Enjoy your training.

by the way, i love all the CMU videos.

Most of those would have been done by Andrew Yao if I'm thinking of the same videos, so the credit goes to him. He was a great teacher and helped us all out immensely.

This thread is getting crazy...

To the original TS, the best thing you can do is go with your gut and pick which place has the best feel to YOU. Those are all great schools and you can learn loads from all of them.

I will say this much, you described some of the schools as feeling "cold" or "jiu-jitsu factories", but think about this. Grappling is a very difficult martial art and many people start out in it, realize how difficult it is, then leave. There tends to be a high turn over rate with any kind of grappling, because of this in many schools newbs may be treated kind of indifferently at first till they put in a little bit of time. One of my buddies that used to run an MMA school I trained at/instructed at had a blanket policy that he didn't even bother to learn a person's name till after they had been there for 6 months. That is kind of harsch, but when you see guys come and go all the time in clubs/schools, it is a valid way to feel about newbs.

As far as switching schools-specifically those two schools-whew buddy I wouldn't do it. You're just asking for trouble and the guys at whatever school you would transfer to may very well have every intention of stomping your ass when you go in there and actually start rolling. Anytime there is bad blood between two grappling schools it is a pretty serious thing and shouldn't be taken lightly. They can eventually blow over, but it can take years.

Why don't you talk about WHY so and so is a douche...than just calling some guy a douche?
WHY did you think it was a cold belt factory?
How would YOU know that the instructors didn't know what they were doing? give examples of why you would think something only had bad or so-so instruction

This is more of a rant than a review, look over what you write before calling it a review

Honestly nobody absorbs much technically in the first month, the most you're going to learn is what to do and what not to do when you're rolling, it's not many rolls later that you try to learn technique again that you'll be like "O...now I know what they mean"

I don't understand why people are flipping out. The TS gave a fairly detailed and straightforward appraisal of his own, admitted newb, reactions to the three different schools. Each of them had pros and cons, in his experience. Of course! EVERY school has positive and negative points, and they should all be considered by a potential student. That evidently offends people whose school is their "church," but they could stand to drop the blind faith for a moment and consider what it's like being in the shoes of a neutral prospective student.

BJJ is not a religious cult. You don't have to sell your soul at the door and foresake all other gods, keeping your mind and soul pure and devoted only to the perfection that is School X.

People get so frickin' weird about martial arts. If you truly want to join a cult to impart some meaning and dogma to your life, then join a cult ... don't mix it up with grappling. Things like this are why I have stopped saying I train martial arts -- it's too embarrassing. I just say I train in combat sports now.

you are an ass!!!! you can NOT judge a school based on one day. what do you know about instruction anyway. those are three excellent schools. you should be having a tough time choosing from all the pros, not the cons. you should stay away from the sport in my opinion, you negative dick. Guys like you are not conducive for a positive atmosphere.
besides the fact that students from all three schools post here, students are very protective of the school. Our school is our church. of course your going to offend people. how dare you. I know guys like you. you find negatives in all the positives, always crying and whining when things don't go your way. i here you crying from where i am now. baby.

Is this flame? If not, shut the fuck up. The thread starter posted his opinion of the schools based on what he saw. Don't be such an oversensitive little bitch.

To the TS, I think the fees at Renzo's jump up as soon as you get like 3 stripes on your white belt and enter the "purple belt program" or some shit. Then, they jump up again when you are a blue and you enter the "black belt program." And, of course they don't mention this bullshit when you first sign up.

This is what I was told. Feel free to correct it if it is wrong. If it is correct and you don't like me calling it bullshit, tough shit.

Seriously, is any school perfect? I have trained at Renzo's a few times and observed classes at Alliance, and found most of the descriptions to be pretty spot on.

I think one problem at Renzo's is there is too much blind loyalty. Just because there are x number of black belts walking around does not make it BJJ heaven. Yes, it's a reputable school overall, and you will definitely be learning good BJJ there. However, not all the instructors are the same, and it's not the ideal learning environment for everyone. I will say it again...some instructors at Renzo's are far superior to others.

Give the guy a break. After all, it doesn't take a BJJ genius to be able to review the pros and cons of a particular school.

let's be honest, a high blue and above will get much more from renzo's than a white belt noob.

haha, if you want a tough workout, stop by Fighthouse on a M W or Friday.

Did you really find Fabio's english poor - the dude speaks perfect english

Hypocrite much? Or is my troll meter broken?

You're not really being conducive for a positive atmosphere with this post.

You sound like you're crying and whining.

You tell him to use spell checker when you wrote "your" instead of "you're" and "here" instead of "hear"?

wow Renzos has changed so much since I was there in 2004. Its actually pretty sad IMO.

It's unfortunate, but the real loser in this thread is the Renzo Gracie Academy itself.

It's true that the TS posted a less than glowing review of your school. Want to know the proper way to address it? Post a reply stating that you are sorry that he didn't have an awesome experience. Try to nicely clear up any misunderstandings. Invite him back for another trial class and tell him that you'll personally ensure that he has a great time. PM him your contact info and follow through with that promise. Then he'll post back on here about what a great time he had at your school and how his first impression wasn't really accurate.

Instead what do you guys do? You flame him for pages about how insolent he is for daring to insinuate that the school/church of Renzo Gracie is less than stellar on some days. All you are doing by that is continuing to reinforce the most negative stereotypes of Renzo's place, i.e. that it is full of cultish and blindly loyal zealots.

So congratulations guys. You have managed to permanently chase off a potential student who probably had a good chance of joining your academy if you had taken the approach I outlined above. You have now also alienated probably ten times as many potential students who will read this thread and your own damning remarks about your "church."

What a shame.

Back