Review of 3 NYC BJJ Schools

Fighthouse is great, my schedule sucks at this moment but I wish I could go there more often.

I'm going to check out Alliance tomorrow after work.

The zealotry people have for BJJ schools is a buncha crazy TMA bullshit. News flash guys, your instructor isn't your best friend. He charges you over $200 a month to hang out with him. It's a business, and he's in it to make money. You wouldn't hate on the dude like this if he'd reviewed 3 different pizza places in NYC with their pros and cons, would you? Why is the BJJ business suddenly sacred? If Renzo trains me for free, then I'll defend him like he's my best friend. (Disclaimer: I actually really like Renzo, I'm just trying to get people to maintain some perspective).

i whole heartedly agree that Renzo's is a great place to train once you have hit purple, maybe high blue and up. But until then, there are just too many people in the whites/early blues to get individualized attention and with the newbs rolling with newbs, development is much slower.

Max is one of the coolest people I have ever met. Perhaps its you that have the problem? And are you actually saying you had any trouble understanding any of our instructors? I'm guessing you had Magno who is from Queens for Christ's sake. All well...

Renzo's is pretty fucken salesy dude...then again, I dont expect you to see this as I've seen you post "i pay X and if they needed it I'd pay double" so either you've so obscenely rich that it doesnt matter OR you've been brainwashed into thinking that thats the right attitude.

The TS made a helpful and informative thread; no need to shit on him.

Seriously, is any school perfect? I have trained at Renzo's a few times and observed classes at Alliance, and found most of the descriptions to be pretty spot on.

I think one problem at Renzo's is there is too much blind loyalty. Just because there are x number of black belts walking around does not make it BJJ heaven. Yes, it's a reputable school overall, and you will definitely be learning good BJJ there. However, not all the instructors are the same, and it's not the ideal learning environment for everyone. I will say it again...some instructors at Renzo's are far superior to others.

Give the guy a break. After all, it doesn't take a BJJ genius to be able to review the pros and cons of a particular school.

Well said.

sounds like this Max guy is really stinking the place up. I heard that Renzo was employing a health club type of sales strategy.

sounds like this Max guy is really stinking the place up. I heard that Renzo was employing a health club type of sales strategy.

considering the type of money high-end health clubs in the city make (i.e. Equinox, Reebok, Chelsea Piers) i can't blame him. so many people in NY looking for anything and everything that'll make them feel exclusive.

considering the type of money high-end health clubs in the city make (i.e. Equinox, Reebok, Chelsea Piers) i can't blame him. so many people in NY looking for anything and everything that'll make them feel exclusive.

yes but the facilities at Renzo's are a far cry from Equinox or Chelsea piers...think its the wrong demographic.

yeah, it really kills the essence of martial arts. Sure an instructor should be able to make a good living but I don't think at the expense of screwing others (students).

yes but the facilities at Renzo's are a far cry from Equinox or Chelsea piers...think its the wrong demographic.

haven't been to Renzo's but from what i hear it's the nicest bjj facility in the city.

I know when I checked different schools I had no idea about the quality of instruction. Only by their reputation from what I heard from others, so I had to go by the vibe and my instincts about the place. For sure Renzo's will not go out of business, but this is the type of constructive criticism a business could use when evaluating ways of doing things.
I respect the TS for calling it like he saw it. Not everyone will agree. But instead of bashing him I would like to hear some of the positive aspects of Renzo's for white belts cause it seems the TS isn't the only one who felt this way.

Look, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I do believe you were trying to be honest and objective with your reviews, however, you need to take some things into consideration...As someone who started at Renzo's a while back, left Renzo's on a sour note (i won't get into details) and have come back to Renzo's, I could tell you I'm very happy that I did. That's not to say you can't get great BJJ instruction elsewhere but let me tell you how I see things when it comes to Renzo's. (i can't speak about the other schools because while i have trained in several other places in the past, i have not trained in any of the two schools you reviewed)

1 - I could see why after a trial class at Renzo's you may have felt it was a little "cold", but as someone previously mentioned there are constanly new people coming in and out of there in addition to the hundreds of students already enrolled. You will not start to establsh relationships with people, and feel like your part of the family until you have been there long enough for people to get to know your face and you have proven that you are serious about training and you are in it for the long haul. After a while you will feel that comradery, you'll make friends, and even rolling partners.

2 - So you got matched up with a girl half your size, I won't lie, it sucks, it's happened to me and everyone else, but I realized that I can't complain if the girl is giving me a run for my money, and I'm willing to bet she gave you a run for yours! Listen, forget the fact that she is a girl cause if they partnered you with Kyra Gracie, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining, she too was a white belt one day.

3- The instruction was "so-so", this is the one area that I think you were really out of line. I know you are only giving an opinion, but your are not in a position yet to say what is good and what is not. The credentials of the students and instructors at Renzo's speak for themselves, there is no debating that. Also, you've made a typical rookie mistake in your analysis that I made in the past also. You liked Josh's instruction because everything happend in progression, and not that this is bad, I'm sure he is a fine instructor. An example of what you mean is probably something similar to this: start in cross-side trying to apply a kimura, if the opponent defends by extending his arm out on the mat, you change to inverted arm-bar, if opponent defends by pushing his arm up, you transition to the opposite side with the arm for an arm-bar off your back, etc. It's obviously not exactly the technique you were taught, but it is an example of the kind of instruction you liked. I too had trained in other places that had similar techaing styles which I liked, but what I realized after training at Renzo's is that i couldn't pass someones guard effectively, I couldn't sweep someone from my guard when the opportunity was there, I didn't know how to properly position my hands so that my chokes are tight, etc. What I'm trying to say is don't worry about the flashy instruction in the beginning, make sure they are drilling the very basics over, and over again. By the way, they also teach those progressive techniques at Renzo's but not as much at the white belt level.

Finally, what I really like about Renzo's aside from the world-class instruction, is the amount of students that go there. You get to test yourself everytime you train because of the variety of skill levels (even within specific belt levels), and diverse amount of students with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. In a more personalized enviorment you tend to roll with the same people everytime and you are already expecting certain things from certain people. When you roll with the same set of guys, you already know who likes to do certain sweeps, or submissions from certain positions. You can't get too confident at Renzo's because somebody will always come along at some point and keep you humble. And you want that, because the more holes in your game you can discover while your train, the more complete your game will be when it matters most, whether it be in a real self-defense situation, mma, or sport jiu-jitsu competition.

At the end of the day, you have to decide where is best for you, and where you think you will get the best instruction for your hard earned money. I'm not saying that Renzo's is the only place that could happen, but it is for me. Finally, like everything else in life, it's not where you go to learn, it what you make of your learning experience.

haven't been to Renzo's but from what i hear it's the nicest bjj facility in the city.

Well sure for a JJ gym thats probably true but its not even in the same league as Equinox...

I hear Studio X is rather nice...like equinox quality.

I must add a note again about the credentials of instructors speaking for themselves. Yes, most, if not all of them, are well accomplished black belts who can undoubtedly hold their own on the mat and then some. However, as I said before, not all of their teaching ability is equal. They do have more than a few good instructors, but they do also have at least 2 I've observed (along with feedback from friends who train there regularly) who are less than stellar in the teaching department.

MMA2STAY awesome post. I think you have gotten to the core of Renzo's which this forum can definitely help a noob in his decision.

No one has thought to question whether he meant the instruction was technically so-so or stylistically so-so. You don't need to be a BJJ expert to know the difference between an effective teaching style and an ineffective one.

Renzo's place may have the best BBs in the city and he may be the best instructor in the city but as a white belt he will not really benefit as much from that skill level as more personalized instruction. I love my school that I am at, it is a great place with a relaxed atomshere and great instruction from a very skilled instructor. The BJJ class isn't bad but the MT class just before it is ridiculus. It is one of the reason's I don't go to it. It is so packed, there is no way the instuctors (there is usually Adam plus 1 or 2 assistants) can see everyone. I usually show up 20 minutes early to stretch and warm up and I have watch one guy in particular make basic mistakes for more than a month without correction. I know Adam is a very good Instructor and I know his MT is top notch (Kru under Ajarn chai) but the sheer numbers make it next to impossible to correct everyone.

BJJ isn't pad work and if you don't have a fairly small instructor to student ratio you could get hurt. I pay 125 for the ability to train 6 days a week twice a week monday to friday. Now clearly, I am not in New york so the prices are slightly relative but then again he is also the only BBJ black belt on the Island so he has no competition where as in NYC you have a ton of competition. For 230 or what ever it was, you should expect some amazing instruction with pretty low student to teacher ratios.

The bottom line is at his level, the place where he feels the most comfortable and can get the most personal attention. When he is sure that he will stick with BJJ and wants train with the best maybe Renzo's is the place to be.

Question.. if I don't want to go to let's say crowded gym as white belt (Renzo for example) and go to Alliance.. there is no way in hell they will take me when I'm blue belt since I was with Alliance.. which is fucking stupid.

Question.. if I don't want to go to let's say crowded gym as white belt (Renzo for example) and go to Alliance.. there is no way in hell they will take me when I'm blue belt since I was with Alliance.. which is fucking stupid.

The transition between Renzo and Alliance is pretty easy (i think both places will take you). Just don't goto Studio X and then expect Alliance to take you...that definitely WILL NOT HAPPEN.

The transition between Renzo and Alliance is pretty easy (i think both places will take you). Just don't goto Studio X and then expect Alliance to take you...that definitely WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Please expand on this, I'm going to check Alliance today then Studio X.

Edit: WTF Studio X was Alliance prior?

Back