Reuters: Hundreds of thousands of Greeks protest FYROM name "Macedonia"

That doesn't logically follow at all.

How does the very real history of the Ottomans capturing Byzantium and renaming it to Istanbul in any way resemble this very odd hypothetical where FYROM illegally invades Greece and starts penciling in a new origin story for Alexander the great in the history text books (which no one will read other than them)?

Edit: Perhaps i should clarify. I was implying that Greece cannot lay claim to Istanbul. They won the war and it's theirs now, that's how history works. But if FYROM did indeed do what you are describing than no i would not like that and it would probably result in a war...It also wouldn't be a pretty outcome for FYROM though.

Ya, strike that "Alexander was a Slav" argument, it was dumb. It is obviously a pure hypothetical but if FYROM did win a war against Greece and took all of the territories of Macedon and held it for generations like the Turks have done to Constantinople, you would accept it as belonging to them?

Ya, strike that "Alexander was a Slav" argument, it was dumb. It is obviously a pure hypothetical but if FYROM did win a war against Greece and took all of the territories of Macedon and held it for generations like the Turks have done to Constantinople, you would accept it as belonging to them?
Let's assume this is an alternate dimension where Greece wouldn't absolutely wipe the floor with FYROM than yea of course i would have a problem with it. Doesn't really change the fact that besides war you dont have much of a choice other than to accept it.

It get's stickier when people have indeed been there for generations and you would effectively be removing people from their homes no matter how unwanted they may be to one side or the other. If it couldn't be dealt with swiftly and with force then it inevitably becomes a strained relationship for generations to come. Dispute comes with the territory.

Edit: Short answer is i would be forced to accept it assuming nothing could be done.

Let's assume this is an alternate dimension where Greece wouldn't absolutely wipe the floor with FYROM than yea of course i would have a problem with it. Doesn't really change the fact that besides war you dont have much of a choice other than to accept it.

It get's stickier when people have indeed been there for generations and you would effectively be removing people from their homes no matter how unwanted they may be to one side or the other. If it couldn't be dealt with swiftly and with force then it inevitably becomes a strained relationship for generations to come. Dispute comes with the territory.

Edit: Short answer is i would be forced to accept it assuming nothing could be done.

Fair enough, I don't agree with you that might always makes right but at least you are consistent.

And yes, in real life it wouldn't be much of a fight.

Fair enough, I don't agree with you that might always makes right but at least you are consistent.

And yes, in real life it wouldn't be much of a fight.
That's cool. I don't necessarily believe might is right but it is an observation on how our history has been shaped. It's brutal and unfair but it is what it is you know?

The greeks always kinda looked down on the macedonians, like they were some sort of backward rednecks so to speak. They even sided with the romans vs them in the battles of Pydna and Cynoscephalae, while the macedonians had thracians and illirians on their side.

Back