Reuters: Hundreds of thousands of Greeks protest FYROM name "Macedonia"

This is what happens when you isolate yourself. Go Greece?.

Greeks will only marry Greeks, only work for Greeks , only hire Greeks.

They have done this to themselves

Thats an exaggeration. I've seen alot of half Greeks and Greeks with non Greek spouses.

I mean granted they can be very proud people but why not. Mediterranean people are awesome.<28>

Since there are greeks in this thread; why do you lot try to claim baklava?

Its time for the sons of Nemies to rise again against this oppression

Since there are greeks in this thread; why do you lot try to claim baklava?
I wrote an essay on the origins of Greek cuisine but basically our food is a mix of byzantine and ottoman influences. The problem is that it's extremely difficult to trace exactly where these things originated in the first place and who indeed influenced who, baklava as we know it is from the ottoman empire somewhere but we also know that their cuisine is heavily influenced by the Phoenicians.

There are also other versions that are pre-ottoman so one can only speculate. Basically we claim it because we sort of can.

Thats an exaggeration. I've seen alot of half Greeks and Greeks with non Greek spouses.

I mean granted they can be very proud people but why not. Mediterranean people are awesome.<28>

Their isolation with a bit of arrogance led them directly in the state they are now.

Failing with Nobody willing to help

Their isolation with a bit of arrogance led them directly in the state they are now.

Failing with Nobody willing to help

huh here i was thinking it was government corruption and such but its apparently who they like to bang

So this sounds like it's the Yugoslav version of we wuz phalangites

Your own sources have passages where Athebiabs do not consider Spartans to be barbarians because of their apparent Dorian heritage.

There are most instances of Greeks referring to other Greeks as barbarians than any foreigner in the classical period.

Files mou are you drunk ? I am trying to make sense of your post.

In my experience Greece was awesome.

I was in Kyrkira once and surprisingly, aside from a few Italians, it was only Greeks in the old city.

4 Generations sitting together on terrasses. Shitty cars, decrepit buildings but it doesn't matter since you are surrounded with beauty and glorious culture.

Just park your car anywhere and go for a swim.

It's how I understood how they beat materialism and shit abondantly on Northern barbarians who tell them to do this and that.

I am drunk on fine 2006 Bordeaux BTW.

Who cares? In most of the Eastern world, Greece is known as "Younan" from the ancient term "Ionia" which was a region of Ancient Greece located mostly (aside from a few islands) in modern day Anatolian "Turkey" rather than mainland European Greece, don't see anyone caring about that misnomer.

Not to mention a whole host of other countries are also misnamed so this isn't unique to Greece vs FYROM. Oh & I don't even want to get into genetics & how majority of Balkan Slavs are majority Slavicized Indigenous Balkan people (this is why Bulgarians & Poles clearly don't look alike) so Macedonian Slavs are probably descended in large part from ancient Greco-Macedonians, Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians etc; in essence they probably do also have ancestral claim as well if it were to get to that (as do modern Greeks obviously as well).
WHO WANTS TO WALK, WITH ELIAS

I was in Kosovo for a year as a contractor. Wanna talk about an actual shithole? Lol The scars of war most definitely still ravage most of the country. Pristina and Prizren might be the only decent looking towns there.

The people were cool enough, but Kosovars and Serbs were total assholes to each other. Serbs didn’t like Albanians and vice versa.

Macedonia was slightly better but not by much.

I love Greek gyros so I often go to Greek delis and restaurants. They always seem nice folk. Greek do not organize into aggressive ethnonationalist lobbies here in the US. Some might maintain their Orthodox identity but they go with the flow. They are not pushy.

So if the FYROManiacs (hypothetically) end up taking Pella and all of ancient Macedon you'd be fine with them revising history and claiming Alexander was a Slav?
That doesn't logically follow at all.

How does the very real history of the Ottomans capturing Byzantium and renaming it to Istanbul in any way resemble this very odd hypothetical where FYROM illegally invades Greece and starts penciling in a new origin story for Alexander the great in the history text books (which no one will read other than them)?

Edit: Perhaps i should clarify. I was implying that Greece cannot lay claim to Istanbul. They won the war and it's theirs now, that's how history works. But if FYROM did indeed do what you are describing than no i would not like that and it would probably result in a war...It also wouldn't be a pretty outcome for FYROM though.

Last edited:
Back