Restaurant Owner Tells 9-1-1 to Send Anyone But Police,

Logistically, how would that work?

Its as simple as disbanding the police forces. The demand for security will still be there. Entrepreneurs will see the profit potential to meet that demand. The good cops will get picked up. The abusive ones won't or will be fired soon after. Thus we have our choice of efficacious security.

Its as simple as disbanding the police forces. The demand for security will still be there. Entrepreneurs will see the profit potential to meet that demand. The good cops will get picked up. The abusive ones won't or will be fired soon after. Thus we have our choice of efficacious security.

That protects businesses. What about the general public?

What business can afford their own police force?
What if businesses in an area disagree on police force, are they going to have 5 police forces on one block?
If their businesses are spread out, how do they patrol?
Do they ignore crimes that occur in front of businesses that they don't protect?
Who investigates murders and who funds that?

This is just the beginning. There are so many other issues that make this entire idea of yours really effing stupid.

That protects businesses. What about the general public?

Sure the businesses would be a big customer, as they have a right to be. Remember, the businesses have an incentive of keeping their establishment and the immediate area around it safe. So, even if people like you and I decide not to pay into our own security organization we can still free load off the security that businesses pay for.

The major benefit would be an increased efficacy with our security forces so things like we've seen in the last 6 months don't happen or at least happen rarely while getting the same umbrella of protection.

What business can afford their own police force?
What if businesses in an area disagree on police force, are they going to have 5 police forces on one block?
If their businesses are spread out, how do they patrol?
Do they ignore crimes that occur in front of businesses that they don't protect?
Who investigates murders and who funds that?

This is just the beginning. There are so many other issues that make this entire idea of yours really effing stupid.

There are a ton of questions, but as a short answer that's what makes the free market so amazing. Instead of depending on a single mind to address all the issues, the answers come from the collective of millions of people throughout the nation or thousands of people in a community looking for a solution and voting with their dollars which option they prefer.

As an example, look how ridiculous it would be for someone to try and direct the production of a pencil from higher order production of mining and harvesting the lumber to the actual manufacture to transporting to a store within a couple of miles of your house. Yet all that's done by thousands of people in several different markets without any direction at all besides prices.

I have a few more minutes to kill, so let's poke a few more holes in your idea of a privatized police force.

- who trains them and by what standard are they trained?
- who funds the training facilities?
- wouldn't the rich areas be able to afford the best policing, leaving the most poverty stricken, crime ridden areas to fend for themselves? So you'd rather come up with a plan to benefit the wealthiest, while sticking it to the poor?

God, your plan is terrible.

Sure the businesses would be a big customer, as they have a right to be. Remember, the businesses have an incentive of keeping their establishment and the immediate area around it safe. So, even if people like you and I decide not to pay into our own security organization we can still free load off the security that businesses pay for.

The major benefit would be an increased efficacy with our security forces so things like we've seen in the last 6 months don't happen or at least happen rarely while getting the same umbrella of protection.

So business owners pay for policing while the public freeloads? That's your plan? How is that fair to business owners? An even bigger problem would arise in that the general public is at the mercy of the business owners to dictate who polices them and the quality of police work (based on what the business pays).

What about urban areas where there are hundreds of people per business? Dude, just admit that you didn't think any of this through.

There are a ton of questions, but as a short answer that's what makes the free market so amazing. Instead of depending on a single mind to address all the issues, the answers come from the collective of millions of people throughout the nation or thousands of people in a community looking for a solution and voting with their dollars which option they prefer.

As an example, look how ridiculous it would be for someone to try and direct the production of a pencil from higher order production of mining and harvesting the lumber to the actual manufacture to transporting to a store within a couple of miles of your house. Yet all that's done by thousands of people in several different markets without any direction at all besides prices.

Starts with "there are a ton of questions" then doesn't answer any of them.

There are a ton of questions because what you're proposing isn't plausible.

- who trains them and by what standard are they trained? .

To which ever standard the customers are happy with. Clearly the standard and selection we have now isn't good enough.

- who funds the training facilities? .

The customers that pay for the service. How does any business get funded?

- wouldn't the rich areas be able to afford the best policing, leaving the most poverty stricken, crime ridden areas to fend for themselves? So you'd rather come up with a plan to benefit the wealthiest, while sticking it to the poor? .

Are you suggesting that people don't care about the welfare of the poor?

Is our monopoly better? Would you support monopolizing our food production? What about the production of our cars?

Starts with "there are a ton of questions" then doesn't answer any of them.

There are a ton of questions because what you're proposing isn't plausible.

That's because you're not understanding how markets work. They're not beholden to the ideas and solutions of a single person.

I have a few more minutes to kill, so let's poke a few more holes in your idea of a privatized police force.

- who trains them and by what standard are they trained?
- who funds the training facilities?
- wouldn't the rich areas be able to afford the best policing, leaving the most poverty stricken, crime ridden areas to fend for themselves? So you'd rather come up with a plan to benefit the wealthiest, while sticking it to the poor?

but, but but, monopolies and such!

So I live 15 miles away from a town, nearest neighbor is 4 miles away who lives in Canada. WHat business do I leach off of to protect me?

So I live 15 miles away from a town, nearest neighbor is 4 miles away who lives in Canada. WHat business do I leach off of to protect me?

I guess you're screwed bro

That's because you're not understanding how markets work. They're not beholden to the ideas and solutions of a single person.

I know very well how markets work, but you have no grasp of what you're proposing.

So business owners pay for policing while the public freeloads? That's your plan? How is that fair to business owners? .

Because business owners want your business don't they? Go to a target or a Walmart. They have security patrolling the parking lots, despite none of their merchandise being there.

An even bigger problem would arise in that the general public is at the mercy of the business owners to dictate who polices them and the quality of police work (based on what the business pays).

What about urban areas where there are hundreds of people per business? Dude, just admit that you didn't think any of this through.

So businesses wouldn't want the best product for themselves? How is anyone at the mercy of the business owners if they're benefiting off a complimentary service from the establishments?

The quality that you get is based on who would be paying. That's pretty simple market dynamics. As an entrepreneur, if your product or service stinks you're not going to be in business very long are you? Where's the quality control of the current monopoly?

Your fault in the logic is suggesting that because you or I don't have all the details worked out with an entrepreneurial activity means that it's to complex to be achieved. That's very short sighted.

To which ever standard the customers are happy with. Clearly the standard and selection we have now isn't good enough.

The customers that pay for the service. How does any business get funded?

Are you suggesting that people don't care about the welfare of the poor?

Is our monopoly better? Would you support monopolizing our food production? What about the production of our cars?

Do you know how expensive competent police training is?

So the poor areas would hope that some group of charitable business owners will throw them a bone?

Yes, our "monopoly" works much better than the nonsense you are proposing. Turn off CNN for a second and you'll quickly realize that your assumptions about the police are nonsensical and in no way accurate.

Because business owners want your business don't they? Go to a target or a Walmart. They have security patrolling the parking lots, despite none of their merchandise being there.

So businesses wouldn't want the best product for themselves? How is anyone at the mercy of the business owners if they're benefiting off a complimentary service from the establishments?

The quality that you get is based on who would be paying. That's pretty simple market dynamics. As an entrepreneur, if your product or service stinks you're not going to be in business very long are you? Where's the quality control of the current monopoly?

Your fault in the logic is suggesting that because you or I don't have all the details worked out with an entrepreneurial activity means that it's to complex to be achieved. That's very short sighted.

And those companies are going to patrol there parking lot, they're not going to pay money to send security guards to the burbs to watch for prowlers.

Who protects you now in that situation? The police sure don't. They're just reactionary. They only respond to things after they've already happened.

If security was privatized, yeah you'd probably have to pay for your own insurance if you're living out in the back woods. That's the decision you'd have to weigh for yourself if you wanted to move away from the umbrella of free security you'd get in a higher populated area.

You really haven't thought about any thing you are talking about here have you?

If you actually believe what you proposed then I have no idea what world you live in.

Perhaps they allow dogs in the establishment, and wish to create a safer environment for man's best friend(cop's best target practice).

Back