Restaurant Owner Tells 9-1-1 to Send Anyone But Police,

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
There is a video in the link, but I can't embed it.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/restaurant-owner-tells-9-1-1-send-police-we-police/

Self-proclaimed ‘homeless advocate’ and ‘anarchist’ John Langley had a problem in his place of business Thursday afternoon.

A man had gone into the bathroom of his restaurant, Red & Black Cafe, and overdosed on heroin.

Langley wanted to get help for the man, so he dialed 9-1-1. “We don’t allow police in here so we can totally accommodate the fire department and other emergency personnel,” Langley told a 911 dispatcher, “Not police, though.”

“I’m required to send everybody,” the dispatcher said.

“OK, well, if the police try and come in here,” Langley replied, “There’s gonna be another problem.”

Langley said that the paramedics arrived and quickly went in to treat the man. The man was hospitalized and released later, with no charges filed.

Had the police actually gone inside we could have witnessed an entirely different scenario.

If you are in the Portland area, go show John Langley some love and buy a cup of coffee from him; unless you are a police officer that is, as Langley made headlines back in 2010 for asking an officer to leave after he bought a cup of coffee.

I guess I can see where the guy is coming from, but this kind of over the top anti-establishment hipster attitude drives me bonkers.

Last edited:
Was not expecting him to look like that

I understand the owner's preference, as I'm sure that, beyond any cops-gone-bad scenario, his customer base might be averse to cops being in the place. However, in this case, in which police are very likely to be the closest response, it's a little murky. Law enforcement officers are trained in basic resuscitation procedures and generally know to an extent what to do with drug overdoses, so his road blocks could have jeopardized the guy's health.

He's painting a giant bullseye on his business for robbers looking for an easy score.

Good for him. The environment of the restaurant is probably much better with this policy.

I could see requesting only female cops.

What a little douchebag the cops don't arrest an od that I have seen anyway.

What would his reaction be if he is robbed or attacked or one his customers is. They still will not want the police or will they scream why they were not protected.

Self-proclaimed ‘homeless advocate’ and ‘anarchist’ John Langley had a problem in his place of business Thursday afternoon.

A man had gone into the bathroom of his restaurant, Red & Black Cafe, and overdosed on heroin.

Langley wanted to get help for the man, so he dialed 9-1-1. “We don’t allow police in here so we can totally accommodate the fire department and other emergency personnel,” Langley told a 911 dispatcher, “Not police, though.”

LMAO

Anarchist has problem incident

Responds by using a tax-funded government service

Good for him. The environment of the restaurant is probably much better with this policy.

If by "much better" you mean druggies overdosing in the bathroom., then you're right.

Why would police respond to a medical emergency? Where I live only the paramedics show up unless it's a vehicle accident or a fight.

It depend they are there to protect the EMT's or direct traffic as required. Some times the beat the EMT's and help until they get there. I have also seen (on TV and talked to a cop in DC) they some times do a scope and run where the snatch up a wounded person and take them to the ER themselfs. I'm not sure if that common or just in a few places as I have never seem it around here.

That is Right! Drug Addicts overdosing in the bathroom is much better than having a police officer dining in your establishment. :rolleyes:

If by "much better" you mean druggies overdosing in the bathroom., then you're right.

Sounds like wonderful ambiance. Good idea for a family night out, or maybe a first date.

Why would police respond to a medical emergency? Where I live only the paramedics show up unless it's a vehicle accident or a fight.

Things like hard drug overdoses, or incidents in sketchy neighbourhoods a lot of paramedics won't attend without police.

Sounds like wonderful ambiance. Good idea for a family night out, or maybe a first date.

Could you imagine you and a date taking selfless with a convulsing drug addict? If that's not ambiance, then I don't know what is?

It depends on the emergency response procedures of the city/state. Our fire department requires police for any overdose, or to certain residences/persons that have been combative in the past.

This asshole could cost someone their life if a police officer arrives on scene, has medical training, and fucking rick moranis tries to deny access. I am not saying it does not happen, but most police departments whose policy I am familiar with, do not make arrests in the event of an overdose. An investigation if possible, but no arrest. I hope his windows get smashed in and the place gets robbed, and then police refuse to respond. Most insurance companies require a police report to replace damaged windows/doors.

There is a place in my city that does not allow police. I used to eat there because it had good, French/Italian food. But we started getting calls about the owner attacking his wait staff, then a drug dealer showed up and threatened him over "business", and when he started fighting with an employee that ended up getting stabbed, he was arrested. He sent a letter to the PD and barred city employees from eating at his place. He has since been arrested a couple times for domestic battery and DUI, which was in no way retaliation. Prior to the letter, no one ate there anymore because of the evidence indicating he was a junkie, and I prefer my lamb without a sprinkle of crack.

"Uh, excuse me, Waiter. There is a heroin addict in my hummus."

Back