Reps/weight to one rep max ratio

FATKID

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've never fully understood the fascination with comparing PR's or maxes when people have different types of strengths and body types. However, I constantly get asked what my max bench is. Thing is, I don't know. I don't have enough weight. I only have 370 lbs total. I understand that my reps vs my max will likely differ from someone else's, but I'd like to be able to give a ballpark figure to these people. I'm too big to not look like an idiot when I say "I don't know". I figure the weightlifting brainiacs around here might be able to give me a good idea what my max might be since I'm too cheap/poor to buy more weights and see. Not to mention, I train alone in my basement, so maxing out would be kinda dangerous. :icon_cry2

Long story short: On Monday, I benched (flat) 345 for 12 reps. More specifically for 12, 9, 7, 5, and 4. Any idea what a max might be? I'm strong, but kinda retarded with all of this scientifc stuff with weightlifting. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy lifting!

According to the 1RM table that I have 515 is the estimation. Nice bench dude.

The formula I use for bench is number of reps times .03 times the weight, plus the weight. It's been pretty accurate for me.

(345 X .03 X 12) + 345 = 469.2

So I'd guess you were at 470. Still a very, very nice raw bench.

Just curious, where did you get that formula Cmart?

It varies sinc some people can do high reps but suck at heavy low reps while others gas out in high reps but thier 1rm is awesome.

BabyPhenom said:
It varies sinc some people can do high reps but suck at heavy low reps while others gas out in high reps but thier 1rm is awesome.
Yup.

the table chart or the math is flawed.

Your max will be much lower than the max posted especially if you are basing it with 12 reps.

Ted-P.,

add to that 12 reps really does nothing for strength.

Yea, I didn't figure it would be too accurate unless you had an estimate of about 3-5 reps

why dont you try it out?
It shouldnt be to hard to find a friend, who spots you one time.

Mav3rick said:
Just curious, where did you get that formula Cmart?

From my high school track & football coach. He was a world class javelin thrower, and had all sorts of useful stuff.

It works pretty good for reps from about 3-12.

Sweet Cmart, I've been trying to hunt that formula since my high school days. Thanks again man, perfect for us loners who dont like spotters. >.<

Thanks fellas,

I really appreciate the input. I just don't have the weight right now to attempt it (max). I suppose I'll have to break down and buy some more. Btw, 12 reps is not what I aim for, it's just what happened on mon. I usually try to stay in the 10-6 range to start out with. Working my way up to 12 definitely lets me know I need to add more weight now. Thanks for all the input.

Cmart, is RAW as in raw bench an acronym? Like I said, I'm kinda slow when it comes to weightlifting vernacular.

Lusst said:
Sweet Cmart, I've been trying to hunt that formula since my high school days. Thanks again man, perfect for us loners who dont like spotters. >.<
No dude.

You'll hurt yourself pretty bad.

Unless you have been holding back a lot in the strength department, your max will be lower than the chart shows you.

FATKID said:
Thanks fellas,
Cmart, is RAW as in raw bench an acronym? Like I said, I'm kinda slow when it comes to weightlifting vernacular.

Nope, it just means that you didn't wear a bench shirt.

ThaiJJJ said:
Nope, it just means that you didn't wear a bench shirt.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a bench shirt?

I know you've seen a bench shirt...its the 3-ply, tight fitting shirts that people wear that makes their arms stick out like a zombie. The idea is to force your arms upward, so you will be able to push more.

Pretty lame IMO, but hey, they allow it in competition.

Ted-P said:
No dude.

You'll hurt yourself pretty bad.

Unless you have been holding back a lot in the strength department, your max will be lower than the chart shows you.

Hehe, no worries, im not gonna try to press 370 pounds :D

Was thinking this formula works with any lift/weight, but I could be wrong.

Lusst said:
I know you've seen a bench shirt...its the 3-ply, tight fitting shirts that people wear that makes their arms stick out like a zombie. The idea is to force your arms upward, so you will be able to push more.

Pretty lame IMO, but hey, they allow it in competition.

Thanks.

Why on earth would anyone wanna wear something to enhance their lifts? Thats like squatting using a pulley and a truck and calling the results your own. If you can't do it on your own, live with it and try to improve.

thanks for the help guys!

FATKID said:
Thanks.

Why on earth would anyone wanna wear something to enhance their lifts? Thats like squatting using a pulley and a truck and calling the results your own. If you can't do it on your own, live with it and try to improve.

thanks for the help guys!
Because its easy on the joints I think.

People can get injured easily in these lifting competitions

The bench shirt is a touchy subject here. Best just to say that a raw lift is one without a special shirt. Unless you are competing in the bench press, there is never a reason to wear a bench shirt.

Back