Remember when Miguel Torres was considered a GOAT

He was killing it in wec when I started watching mma, in fact that’s how I started watching wec, kept hearing about how amazing this guy was so I tuned in, got hooked after seeing him and cowboy and benson. He just kinda fizzled out.

He was crazy good on the ground but wanted to box people up. It didn't work out too well for him.

Not to be a dick here but did the guy have any notable wins at his peak? I remember in 2009 Frank Mir was repping the hell out of him but I never heard of half the people he was fighting.

I remember a friend of mine kept saying how Miguel was the real GOAT when I said Fedor was. Then Miguel lost several fights and looked bad, and I taunted my buddy. Then Fedor lost several times... I guess I deserved that.

Miguel was fun to watch and pushed the pace and was well-rounded. He was almost like a Carlos Condit or someone like that - Jack of all trades, master of none, but an action fighter. He didn't have Carlos' chin though.

I think Torres has said he has a ton more fights than his record indicates. He had a lot of fights before they were recorded or whatever. Dude probably put a lot of miles on his body and chin with training and fighting, so it makes sense that he would start declining in his late 20s/early 30s, especially in a lighter weight class where speed, reflexes, and timing are so crucial.

Washed up Miguel still beat prime Mighty Mouse and got robbed.

I loved torres dude was a beast and always went for a war in there. He’s definitely one of the best BW of all time

Two Torres threads on the main page and it aint even cinco de mayo yet

Small fighters have a shorter shelf life. He was on the older side of BW when he started losing. The competition definitely got better too

Back