Rematch?

Jones wants nothing to do with a rematch.

Agree remarch, that fight was fun to watch.

It wasn't JBJ's game plan to eat punches either I imagine. Besides, Reyes didn't spend the entire fight on his back foot. Rounds 4 and 5? Yes, absolutely. But in the non-championship rounds, he outstruck Bones and actually had him turning his back and shelling up, ceding control of the Octagon to him. Octagon control is supposed to be the last criteria scored, used as a tiebreaker if all else is equal. It was not.

I don't know how you can possibly argue that Dom didn't land anything significant. That's the first time in a while we've seen Jones visibly bloodied and wobbled by punches and forced to get on his bike like that.
Watch those flurries where Jones either backed up or turned his back for several seconds, mere seconds, very little lands. It would be fair to say Jon had complete control of the fight for 23 minutes. I didn’t see Jones wobble from punches, maybe leg kicks, and Reyes gassed every time he was able to get something going.

Watch those flurries where Jones either backed up or turned his back for several seconds, mere seconds, very little lands. It would be fair to say Jon had complete control of the fight for 23 minutes. I didn’t see Jones wobble from punches, maybe leg kicks, and Reyes gassed every time he was able to get something going.

I watched. I see Jones backpedaling and ceding control while eating punches. More than enough landed to count. Jones had control of the fight for 10-15 minutes, depending on how you saw Round 3. But this is once again irrelevant when the scorecards have him down on effective striking.

I want to see it again. I feel like what gets lost is that was a great fucking fight.

People just argue about the decision. Lets see it again..
uhh of coruse not? gus beat jones first time they ddint give him rematch he barely beat chris anthony no rematch he lost to 170 broken legg brazilian screwed him on decesion no rematch.... now this u think hes gonna get a rematch? no way

I watched. I see Jones backpedaling and ceding control while eating punches. More than enough landed to count. Jones had control of the fight for 10-15 minutes, depending on how you saw Round 3. But this is once again irrelevant when the scorecards have him down on effective striking.
How effective was Reyes striking if he never hurt Jon Jones and completely gassed himself out before the third round was over? Yet Jon kept Reyes on the fence and picked him apart.

How effective was Reyes striking if he never hurt Jon Jones and completely gassed himself out before the third round was over? Yet Jon kept Reyes on the fence and picked him apart.

He did hurt him. Far more than Jon ever did the same to him. Any time Reyes spent with his back toward the fence is irrelevant in the face of the striking metrics. That's my entire point.

Gassing out doesn't matter on its own. Only if your opponent can punish you for it. And frankly I don't feel Jones did that sufficiently until Rounds 4 and 5.

He did hurt him. Far more than Jon ever did the same to him. Any time Reyes spent with his back toward the fence is irrelevant in the face of the striking metrics. That's my entire point.

Gassing out doesn't matter on its own. Only if your opponent can punish you for it. And frankly I don't feel Jones did that sufficiently until Rounds 4 and 5.
Jones was the only fighter to dole out punishment at all. That’s the point. A hurt fighter looks like Cormier after Jon head kicked him. Jon was taken aback by the speed of Reyes, I think we all were, but was never hurt.

Jones was the only fighter to dole out punishment at all. That’s the point. A hurt fighter looks like Cormier after Jon head kicked him. Jon was taken aback by the speed of Reyes, I think we all were, but was never hurt.

Bullshit. When was Jones doling out punishment? I didn't see Reyes get seriously wobbled. He certainly never got knocked down. Jones ate punches, shelled up and ceded your vaunted Octagon control for minutes at a time and even panic-wrestled at one point. Not to mention the knockdown Reyes scored.

Your perspective is one that's hard to argue with because it's one utterly detached from reality by my estimation.

Bullshit. When was Jones doling out punishment? I didn't see Reyes get seriously wobbled. He certainly never got knocked down. Jones ate punches, shelled up and ceded your vaunted Octagon control for minutes at a time and even panic-wrestled at one point. Not to mention the knockdown Reyes scored.

Your perspective is one that's hard to argue with because it's one utterly detached from reality by my estimation.
I think you need to settle down.

It was a slip, not a knockdown. The UFC did not record a knockdown in the fight.

A wrestler who shoots for a takedown does not panic wrestle. Conor shooting on Nate, a BJJ black belt, is an example of panic wrestling. An opponent must take advance of a panic shot for it to be a panic shot. Reyes did not capitalize on his brief success and gassed. Jon clearly took the fight out of Reyes with body punches and kicks. So much so that Reyes did not fight in the 4&5th rounds.

Rematch is definitely what is "fair" and merit / justice would dictate. But I can totally see Jones just yeeting to HW and saying fuck that.

I'm more concerned with the gameplan. During the entire fight I was basically waiting for Jones to turn it up and smoke Reyes. "Okay he just toyed with him and survived round 1, he's gonna pour it on." Okay now it's round 3...Jones is going to finish him.

It just never happened. It was somewhat surreal. I would never expect Jones to lack killer instinct, but he did. Reyes was hurt pretty badly while semi-gassed at one point and Jones didn't pour it on...pretty sure it was the 4th round about halfway through.

Keep waiting Alice, wonderland is right around the corner.

Jones isn't a finisher, never has been never will be.

And he got smoked tonight, nothing surreal about it.

Deal with it.

I think you need to settle down.

It was a slip, not a knockdown. The UFC did not record a knockdown in the fight.

A wrestler who shoots for a takedown does not panic wrestle. Conor shooting on Nate, a BJJ black belt, is an example of panic wrestling. An opponent must take advance of a panic shot for it to be a panic shot. Reyes did not capitalize on his brief success and gassed. Jon clearly took the fight out of Reyes with body punches and kicks. So much so that Reyes did not fight in the 4&5th rounds.

I'm not up in arms, but thanks for your concern.

A slip implies that the fighter lost their balance of their own accord. That is not what happened. Jones's base was compromised as he threw a kick and Dom tagged him with a straight to the midsection, knocking him over. It doesn't have to be a haymaker that knocks the opponent senseless.

And no, that is not how panic-wrestling works. At all. You don't get a free pass on any shot you make because you have wrestling credentials. You're trying to redefine the term for your benefit here. Jones ate punches and was losing the standup exchange near the fence and attempted a very sloppy level change in response.

Those punches and kicks? You mean the ones that Reyes scored more of on all metrics?

I'm not up in arms, but thanks for your concern.

A slip implies that the fighter lost their balance of their own accord. That is not what happened. Jones's base was compromised as he threw a kick and Dom tagged him with a straight to the midsection, knocking him over. It doesn't have to be a haymaker that knocks the opponent senseless.

And no, that is not how panic-wrestling works. At all. You don't get a free pass on any shot you make because you have wrestling credentials. You're trying to redefine the term for your benefit here. Jones ate punches and was losing the standup exchange near the fence and attempted a very sloppy level change in response.

Those punches and kicks? You mean the ones that Reyes scored more of on all metrics?
You called me delusional and that was unnecessary. Which shows you are too invested into the conversation. It almost made me not want to engage anymore.

Kind of like how Reyes stopped engaging once he realized Jon was going to get the takedown. Which he did, 2 times on the official card. Jon was also knocked down 0 times on the official card and won a the fight in the eyes of 3 qualified officials.

If we do the math Jon Jones won by a landslide.

Just gonna say, both of his fights he rematched, he came back way better the second time.
He lost to Gus in the first fight. Shitty judges - where else have we seen that?

All his legal and steroid trouble delayed the rematch to 5 years later and he hit him in the groin.

How can Jones move on? Polls show the vast majority think he lost. His throne is disputed. He is collecting claimants to the throne with each title defense now due to these controversial decisions. He needs to double back and straighten his title out
Calm down

You called me delusional and that was unnecessary. Which shows you are too invested into the conversation. It almost made me not want to engage anymore.

Kind of like how Reyes stopped engaging once he realized Jon was going to get the takedown. Which he did, 2 times on the official card. Jon was also knocked down 0 times on the official card and won a the fight in the eyes of 3 qualified officials.

If we do the math Jon Jones won by a landslide.

lmao the delusion.

Is this how Emo's cope when their fighter's catch a beat down?

lmao the delusion.

Is this how Emo's cope when their fighter's catch a beat down?
Well I can already tell how people cope when their least favorite fighter extends his winning streak, becomes the winningest champion in UFC history, and gets crowned the GOAT after yet another unanimous decision victory. They come on Sherdog and make snarky one liner replies to posters who make sense and respect the game. You aren’t here to learn anything or take part in the discussion. You’re a hive minded individual who was most likely nervous before the decision was announced. Me, not nervous. The outcome of the fight was determined before it entered the final round, a round in which Reyes phoned it in because he was a beaten man.

No way Jones gives him a rematch. He will just move on to easier guys like Anderson

How can Jones move on? Polls show the vast majority think he lost. His throne is disputed. He is collecting claimants to the throne with each title defense now due to these controversial decisions. He needs to double back and straighten his title out

Fight fans are like goldfish..
If he wins the rematch convincingly and then goes on to finish his career without anymore close calls people will forget

Kinda like what happened with floyd mayweather..
'undefeated'

Back