Relationship with your coach/instructor

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't feel like I am in a hostile environment. I do feel like an outsider though.

Do you guys think it makes a difference if you compete? Is it possible that the coach will take more interest and develop friendships with his competitors as opposed to the hobbiest? (not sure if that is a word...)

Is that the reason why a lot of posts state that competition is good for your game? Do you get better coaching as a result?

My instructor doesn't do contracts he is more of a Hand Shake guy which is hard to believe now a days. I have always paid on time so I don't know how that works out if you don't. He is pretty much nice to everyone that comes in but he does have his core guys but they are Brown and some blue.... They have been with him forever though and me, about 1.5 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't feel like I am in a hostile environment. I do feel like an outsider though.

Do you guys think it makes a difference if you compete? Is it possible that the coach will take more interest and develop friendships with his competitors as opposed to the hobbiest? (not sure if that is a word...)

Is that the reason why a lot of posts state that competition is good for your game? Do you get better coaching as a result?

i definitely understand your "not in a hostile environment but feel like an outsider" comment. i feel the exact same way at my school.

Well, some teams are more tight and take time to open up to new guys. It is not bad or good.
If we feel the need for bonding, just hang out with some of the new guys.

My teamate would not invite any of the white belts to his drinking parties 'cause they are young adults and he does not want the hassle and troubles that could happen.

Compete if you like competing.

I treat my instructor the same way I treat my thesis advisor: not entirely business-like, but also not too casual. I see similar customs between academia and martial arts.

I agree with Lechian. Its hard to have an organic friendship with your instructor.

Though, my instructor is a young guy who's super down to earth. In class he's pretty professional, but outside he's really lose and chill.

I've had instructors before that were true douche bag, asshole, ***gots that deserved to be beaten with baseball bats. Strait up.

My instructor seems to have an amazing talent to walk the line of being a friend on a peer level but still able to have an objective distance like a coach. Not to sound too much like a kiss ass but I like to relate it to the sort of generals like Washington who were known to be on the front lines and fight side by side with their men, they were leaders but still equals.

It's fairly safe to assume that the more interest you show in applying your instruction against other schools competitors, the more investment your coach will make in you. Your coach will want to see you succeed (this doesn't have to mean win) and you will want to make your coach proud.
Plus, on a personal level, the trips involved in going to competitions allow some really great opportunities to get close to your whole team outside of the gym.

Back