• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rehab.

I hope you’re not an Oilers fan. If they keep doing well in the playoffs it will be hard for you to avoid the party scene around town over the next two to four weeks.

I've done over a year if it...

Most of it is sitting around feeling sorry for yourself... The trick I learned is to blame myself for everything that goes wrong in my life, and try and correct that shit... People who blame everything else never get anywhere.

Most of them are religious, which was a huge problem for me to get around... 12 Steps are all about a higher power - I just made the higher power myself, and I punch my own clock, and beat my own drum... Makes me completely unemployable long-term, but I create a lot of work for myself, and I'm pretty much bullet-proof as far as being offended by what people tell me...I've heard it all already.

I wouldn't do it again if i had the option, but it definitely helped make me who I am today.

I think the blame is very fair, but I don't think it's helpful to beat oneself up over it. I also don't agree with those who says "Oh, it's a disease so you can't blame me".

The best line I heard was "It's not your fault you have a disease but it is your responsibility to manage it".

I feel that sums it up perfectly. Like if you have diabetes, that isn't necessarily your fault, but you can't eat 100 cookies in a day and you can't skip your medicine. You have to care for the disease and fight it and that is on YOU. Nobody else can do it for you. But you can't live in shame and guilt your whole life over shit you did b/c of a disease. At least that's what I'm trying to work through.

Takes longer than 3 days to detox from Alcohol... more like 6-10 days.

You’re detoxing from alcohol in 3 days? Are you physically dependent? Like, do you get the shakes, that sort of thing?
Yeah 3 days really ain't gonna do it.

I think to really shake it you need 6 to 8 weeks residential rehab or more. Something like that. What I've read.

I have a friend who has a booze problem and some people who knew him realized how bad it was and they jumped in there AND PUT HIM in residential rehab for 3 months I think it was. He was on with it and realized he needed it.
Rehab aunt cheap but it got funded somehow.

I recently heard he is 3years sober and doing great and has become a gym monster. Good result.

I think the blame is very fair, but I don't think it's helpful to beat oneself up over it. I also don't agree with those who says "Oh, it's a disease so you can't blame me".

The best line I heard was "It's not your fault you have a disease but it is your responsibility to manage it".

I feel that sums it up perfectly. Like if you have diabetes, that isn't necessarily your fault, but you can't eat 100 cookies in a day and you can't skip your medicine. You have to care for the disease and fight it and that is on YOU. Nobody else can do it for you. But you can't live in shame and guilt your whole life over shit you did b/c of a disease. At least that's what I'm trying to work through.

It's a choice.

People that struggle managing that choice shift the responsibility away with that excuse.

If you need help, fucking get help, but in the end YOU have to be responsible for you and your choices.
Make better choices.
Learn to exercise self control.

Some people don't like to hear this, likely BECAUSE it is the truth.

Good luck.

Have you considered what it is that the alcoholism is your response for?

Just a word of warning: I detoxed several times and always felt like 3 to4 days was enough, especially with benzos. 2021 I quit drinking cold turkey after a particular bad 2 month bender. By the 4th day I felt fine, on the next night I went to a social event. In the middle of that I felt my body sorta lock up. Next thing I know I was being woken up by paramedics. Had a massive seizure that lasted 20 minutes. I bit off a chunk of my tongue and the recovery from that was absolutely brutal! Worse thing I have ever experienced.

It's a choice.

People that struggle managing that choice shift the responsibility away with that excuse.

If you need help, fucking get help, but in the end YOU have to be responsible for you and your choices.
Make better choices.
Learn to exercise self control.

Some people don't like to hear this, likely BECAUSE it is the truth.
I will agree that the first drink is a choice and must be managed. After the first the disease can take over. No amount of self control is gonna help a true alcoholic who is 4 drinks in. At that point it’s too late.

But the key is self control and getting help before that first drink. Or that first hit. Or that first needle.

Thanks for sharing. I've been thrown out of a number of online AA support groups since I don't agree with everything they believe/say.
SMART Recovery might be a better fit.

It’s a non-12 step program aimed at empowering people to manage their life better based on a lot of cognitive and behavioral strategies.

AA is the last place I want to go the place is depressing
AA is so antiquated. They have not changed any of their beliefs in over 70 years. And there is so many new and alternative treatments that have worked for people. Funny thing is, there is no way to prove how successful AA has been since it is all anonymous.

Well I'm back. Ended up going in for 5 days. It fucking sucked. First night I was in a room with 3 other guys and 2 of them were huge snorers.. Talked to a nurse the next day and she managed to get me a room of my own for the rest of my stay. Only problem is the bathroom was conjoined with the next room and this guy pissed like a racehorse and when he shit I could hear that too and smell it from my bed..

No locks on any doors and there would be someone bursting into your room 4 times per night without warning to check your vitals. Or shining a flashlight into your room to check on you waking you up. During the day they'd give you cocktails of medication (Valium, diazepam, gravol for nausea and I don't even remember the other names). I'm still a bit shakey and my equilibrium is off but I got some healthy groceries today. And plan to start hitting the gym again once I get some other things in order.

They gave 3 meals per day usually shitty. All the front desk nurses were super nice though and would go out of their way to help you. At the end of the day I'm glad I did it though I didn't even vomit once.

Positives:
Hot nurses.

I got pretty good at solitaire.

They did blood work on me and I don't have any STD's!

Thanks bros for the support and laughs.

Well I'm back. Ended up going in for 5 days. It fucking sucked. First night I was in a room with 3 other guys and 2 of them were huge snorers.. Talked to a nurse the next day and she managed to get me a room of my own for the rest of my stay. Only problem is the bathroom was conjoined with the next room and this guy pissed like a racehorse and when he shit I could hear that too and smell it from my bed..

No locks on any doors and there would be someone bursting into your room 4 times per night without warning to check your vitals. Or shining a flashlight into your room to check on you waking you up. During the day they'd give you cocktails of medication (Valium, diazepam, gravol for nausea and I don't even remember the other names). I'm still a bit shakey and my equilibrium is off but I got some healthy groceries today. And plan to start hitting the gym again once I get some other things in order.

They gave 3 meals per day usually shitty. All the front desk nurses were super nice though and would go out of their way to help you. At the end of the day I'm glad I did it though I didn't even vomit once.

Positives:
Hot nurses.

I got pretty good at solitaire.

They did blood work on me and I don't have any STD's!

Thanks bros for the support and laughs.

Good to see you back........

Reactions: 666
Just a word of warning: I detoxed several times and always felt like 3 to4 days was enough, especially with benzos. 2021 I quit drinking cold turkey after a particular bad 2 month bender. By the 4th day I felt fine, on the next night I went to a social event. In the middle of that I felt my body sorta lock up. Next thing I know I was being woken up by paramedics. Had a massive seizure that lasted 20 minutes. I bit off a chunk of my tongue and the recovery from that was absolutely brutal! Worse thing I have ever experienced.
Hey, check out that join date

It’s gonna be so sweet when you take your life back and we’re all cheering for you.

Back