Regarding Hendricks.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by InsideLegKick, Jan 2, 2013.

1. InsideLegKick

InsideLegKick Blue Belt

Let me start off by saying that Johny Hendricks' run in the UFC has been very impressive. That being said, what leads anyone to believe that he's got anything more than Koscheck had for GSP? Sure, his boxing is a touch better, but it sure wasn't good enough to put away Rick Story. I know that the Story fight was in 2010, but Hendricks was already a developed wrestler at this point. Story dominated Hendricks in the clinch, which is the same thing GSP will do before he takes him to the ground. When I really think about it, Hendricks just seems like Koscheck 2.0. A similar wrestling pedigree with crisper boxing...but not enough to stay off his back against GSP.

I could be way wrong. I have been before and probably will be again in the future.

2. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

I think he's a little bit better wrestler and a decent bit better striker than Koscheck...but still probably doesn't add up to enough to beat GSP.

3. InsideLegKick

InsideLegKick Blue Belt

I guess the way I see it is that if Hendricks can't land that big right hand, which is going to be very difficult against GSP, it's going to be a very long night. He (Hendricks) hasn't exactly picked people apart with his standup. He, like Koscheck relies on winging that one big power punch.

4. wellsdj1

wellsdj1 Red Belt

Unlike Kos 2.0 Hendricks has better one punch knockout power. That being said I think GSP wins by decession.

5. The Taxman

The Taxman Askren P4P #1

His knockout power, thats about it.

He's not gonna out wrestle GSP. Might stuff some takedowns here and there, but other then the power in his hands he doesn't really have anything.

I'll wait for youngstienel's rebuttal..

6. shator

shator Purple Belt

He brings the power. People have seen how he has KO'd fighters with shots that don't even land that flush. GSP's loss to Serra makes everyone think that if someone can land solidly, GSP will be in trouble. Now, GSP showed some good recovery in the Condit fight. So, who knows what would happen if Hendricks does find his chin. But, the way Hendricks has been able to knock out previously tough to finish opponents (Fitch/Kampmann) certainly leads to speculation about what he could do against GSP. His wrestling pedigree also makes people think he might be able to keep the fight standing long enough to land one of these power shots.

7. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

He has more power than Koscheck and GSP didn't suffer the knee injury before he fought Koscheck. But GSP would beat Hendricks 9 times out of 10 regardless.

8. ScarletnGray 33

ScarletnGray 33 Brown Belt

Hendricks has better one punch KO power, but I don't think he will beat GSP.

9. GordaoPreguico

GordaoPreguico Red Belt

GSP can be hit so Hendricks is hoping on that. But knowing GSP he will keep Hendricks away with his jab.

10. Pastor Trimm

Pastor Trimm Dimitri's Messenger Banned

I see maybe Hendricks being hard to keep on his back.And maybe catching GSP on the way up. Bout it though. Besides that, same ol same ol.

11. Level One

Level One Blue Belt

I love how everyone uses the Koscheck fight against Hendricks when Koscheck would easily decision Nick.

12. axewand

axewand Blue Belt

His boxing is not better than GSP or KOS. Having a destructive 1 punch KO power does not mean you have a better boxing.

13. nok_u_out

nok_u_out Black Belt

GSP will take him down and dry hump him for 25 mins. Then take him out to dinner bc they are technically married after all that humping.

14. trane

trane Red Belt

I think that's why he didn't get the shot. In the fights where he didn't get the quick knockout, he struggled. People just didn't see the appeal I guess.

I think he deserved the shot based on merit though, it's really hard to day he doesn't deserve it.

15. InsideLegKick

InsideLegKick Blue Belt

That's probably pretty accurate. He is fighting Ellenberger next, who I think has similar power and equal, if not better wrestling. I just don't see what Hendricks can do that Koscheck couldn't. Diaz is a significantly more dangerous fight, because GSP can't simply assume he's safe on the ground and if he isn't 100% focused, he could be submitted.

That being said, I don't think either beat GSP as I think the only person that has anything for him, Rory MacDonald, won't fight him.

16. mattf

mattf Brown Belt

Hendricks is a harder puncher When he fought Kos he did not win by much but did win, he could always catch GSP that would be his best path to victory in my opinion.

17. InsideLegKick

InsideLegKick Blue Belt

MMAth doesn't really work here. All I'm saying is that Hendricks' strengths are also Koscheck's and those really aren't going to work against GSP all too often.

18. InsideLegKick

InsideLegKick Blue Belt

I'm not certain that I said anything to that accord. His combos are better than Koscheck's, though Hendricks does get sloppier if he doesn't land that early KO.

19. velvet goldmine

velvet goldmine Purple Belt

Rush eats wrestlers for breakfast.

20. ligthandshadow

ligthandshadow Red Belt

Hendricks has never faced GSP so I think he will be fearless if they fight.

I also see Hendricks pressuring.

Koscheck lost the ability to see from the outside, that meant a lot... But even still, was Kos taken down much in that second GSP fight?

Hendricks is game, GSP probably outstrikes him over five, but he needs to focus on Ellenberger