Regarding Hendricks.

wow just like that you all suck I guess Hendricks should hang up his gloves until GSP retires.

quick KO's over Fitch and Kampmann are nice and all but a dominant decision over either would have demonstated more. The decision over Kos was meh at best. Hendricks has some good recent momentum off a one trick pony show, but lets not act like he's been cleaning out the WW division for years or a dominant force in the division for years. It seemed like just yesterday that I watched him barely scrape by TJ Grant in a decision. If GSP were to beat him and make easy work of him, which it would be ridiculously easy for GSP, all the Hendricks lovers would be the first ones to turn and call him a nothing title defense for GSP. The haters are always looking for something to criticize GSP for, and this is their most recent thing they can latch onto, but anyone with a half a brain knows Johny Hendricks is no more champion material than the one hit fluke artist, Matt Serra was, and he could never sustain a reign as champion. Nick Diaz is unquestionably a tougher fight for GSP.

wow just like that you all suck I guess Hendricks should hang up his gloves until GSP retires.

That's right, on Sherdog if you're not the best at your job you should retire. Making a living and getting paid is over rated!

He has more power than Koscheck and with his shorter arms he can really unload in the pocket, but that won't matter because GSP will keep him at bay with his jab and kicks, put him on his back and keep him there.

I actually see Ellenberger as a bigger threat to Georges. He has better striking technique, better wrestling and is harder to take down.

...but anyone with a half a brain knows Johny Hendricks is no more champion material than the one hit fluke artist, Matt Serra was, and he could never sustain a reign as champion. Nick Diaz is unquestionably a tougher fight for GSP.

You obviously have half a brian ;) when saying Hendriks is in the same league as Serra.
As for Diaz being tougher fight many would disagree on this.
Of course Hendricks is not perfect but at least he doesn't have glaring weakness in his game like Diaz. GSP would dry hump him for 25 min.

Hendricks has KO'd the long time #2 WW and at the time #5 WW, while Kos has never KO'd anyone of note ever.

Just because they have a similar style doesn't mean they have the same results.

st pierre will obviously be the favorite vs any ww and rightly so but there are a few serious factors to consider

1 - I believe hendricks had the flu when he fought koscheck and was nowhere near 100%
2 - when gsp fought koscheck that 1st time no one thought of him as a wrestler and the idea of him beating koscheck with wrestling was ludicrous - koscheck didn't train his wrestling at all for that fight - he worked purely on stand up - the results are known by all - however, when the 2nd fight rolled around koscheck knew better and the results were dramatically different concerning the ground game - koscheck repeatedly stuffed st pierre's td attempts and was quickly back to his feet when he was taken down - st pierre attempted 9 td's and was only successful with 4 and as stated, he could not keep koscheck on the ground - st pierre's inability to land a TD or do anything with the few he made prompted him to simply give up on the ground game and just stick with the striking battle that he was winning anyway - for koscheck's part he really wanted the ko and therefore only attempted 4 and landed 1
3 - DO NOT expect st pierre to have any better luck with hendricks regarding the ground game - In fact, considering that 2nd fight with koscheck and Hendrick's condition against Koscheck - It might go slightly worse - Also, koscheck 2 happened before the knee - st pierre and his team did a remarkable job with that knee but it's still compromised - Medical science is simply not at that point where it can fashion or repair a joint that is equal to nature's own - the knee doesn't work as well hence neither does gsp - it's a true testament to the extreme rarity and ability of athlete's like gsp and adrian peterson doing what they've done after such extreme repairs but they're still human - there's a reason every nfl analyst is calling peterson a walking miracle and regardless, there's no way he hasn't lost a few years off his career as a result - and st pierre looked great against condit but condit is no wrestler which leads to 4
4 - the prospect of having to stand and trade with hendricks for 25 minutes is no joke - he only needs 1 - he's also a smarter stand up fighter than koscheck and keeping him at the end of that jab all night is a very daunting prospect

this fight is a lot closer, and hendrick's chances are a lot better, than people give him credit for

st pierre always says it but this time it's true: this is his most dangerous opponent to date

and i'm a big gsp fan

This is a good post. I'm not sure about the Flu thing though. Do you have a source? What makes you say he had the flu?

Also, in GSP vs Kos 2, Kos wasn't "focused on the KO" - he spent most of his energy and effort in round 1 trying to secure the only TD he landed in that fight. Once Kos's eye went out he was more or less focused on "surviving" - he committed to virtually no offense whatsoever after round 1.

He switched to instinct and fought defensively once his eye was out of it. GSP was able to jab the shit out of him but for whatever reason didn't go in for the kill. He likely respected Kos's striking more than he should have.
I believe Kos may have tried to use his wrestling if he hadn't suffered a broken orbital bone and gotten rattled.

Also, I don't believe Hendricks will be able to easily get up from under GSP or stuff his TD's in a meaningful way. Kos focused on his striking against Hendricks, and while Hendricks has been able to defeat great wrestlers like Kos and Fitch he's never had to stuff high quality TD's and deal with the striking/wrestling threat combination like the one GSP presents.

One of the reasons Kos was able to stop GSP's TD was Kos was A) Expecting it after fighting Saint Pierre in a previous encounter and B) was completely focused on defense - Hendricks won't be so focused on defense (if he is, I don't see how he can win)

Hendricks only has two combo's

Left hook

jab - left hook

Koscheck has 3 combo's

jab - jab - overhand right

overhand right

overhand right - left high kick

Let me start off by saying that Johny Hendricks' run in the UFC has been very impressive. That being said, what leads anyone to believe that he's got anything more than Koscheck had for GSP? Sure, his boxing is a touch better, but it sure wasn't good enough to put away Rick Story. I know that the Story fight was in 2010, but Hendricks was already a developed wrestler at this point. Story dominated Hendricks in the clinch, which is the same thing GSP will do before he takes him to the ground. When I really think about it, Hendricks just seems like Koscheck 2.0. A similar wrestling pedigree with crisper boxing...but not enough to stay off his back against GSP.

I could be way wrong. I have been before and probably will be again in the future.

He has better wins than Kos had during his title run.

Kos's title run: lost to Thiago Alves and Paulo Thiago. Beat some smaller Japanese guy, beat Rumble, and LnP'd Daley.

Hendricks's title run is much more impressive.

The one thing that I think Johnny has that many of GSPs past opponents have not had is the ability to close distance. I wish I had time to go through fight footage and put together some gifs, but his knock outs of Fitch and Kampmann were outstanding. His ability to throw that punch so quickly and from the distance he was at ...

I can see him catching GSP with it to be honest, and I'm a huge GSP fan.

The one thing that I think Johnny has that many of GSPs past opponents have not had is the ability to close distance. I wish I had time to go through fight footage and put together some gifs, but his knock outs of Fitch and Kampmann were outstanding. His ability to throw that punch so quickly and from the distance he was at ...

I can see him catching GSP with it to be honest, and I'm a huge GSP fan.

hendricks-kampmann.gif

knockouts_Johny_Hendricks_KO_Punch_Jon_Fitch_UFC_141.gif

That oughtta get you started

Bass Pro shops hendricks is fun to watch, becoming a fan recently.

But I think GSP just wasn't very interested in this fight as it didn't really bring anything new style wise to the table for him.

Big power puncher? That was supposed to be Hardy, wrestlers??

He's prolly bored as f fightign wrestlers and doesn't add anything new to the challenge.

If he want's to fight anderon truthfully sometime in the future, fighting taller fighters like condit and diaz are what he needs to do to really prepare.

I know they aren't anything like the spider, but getting used to the height disadvantage in the ring will help for sure...

Bass Pro shops hendricks is fun to watch, becoming a fan recently.

But I think GSP just wasn't very interested in this fight as it didn't really bring anything new style wise to the table for him.

Big power puncher? That was supposed to be Hardy, wrestlers??

He's prolly bored as f fightign wrestlers and doesn't add anything new to the challenge.

If he want's to fight anderon truthfully sometime in the future, fighting taller fighters like condit and diaz are what he needs to do to really prepare.

I know they aren't anything like the spider, but getting used to the height disadvantage in the ring will help for sure...

He could train with Jon Jones for an Anderson fight, he has that option available to him as a Jackson associated fighter and as a past training partner of Jon Jones.
Getting used to the height/reach disadvantage in the cage helps I suppose but he did that against Condit, who is a better/smarter version of Diaz, so I don't see how the Diaz fight helps to prepare for Anderson other than, maybe, getting GSP's confidence up.

Hendricks' power is amazeballs, but it's kind of redundant against GSP. You don't need more than Hardy/Kos power to put him away, the problem is can you touch him enough. Big Rig has the same puncher's chance that a lot of GSP's opponents had.

I just rewatched Kos/Hendricks. I dont see how any one had Kos winning. I even did until I rewatched it. It was a lot more entertaining this time around as well. That being said it just proves if Hendrick cant finish GSP in the first couple rounds then hes not going to beat GSP.

Back