Regarding Hendricks.

Unless GSP comes in with a serious injury or really sick no one at 170 is going to beat GSP by decession. GSP is probably never going to be submitted again, yes I know Hughes submitted him but that was a long time ago. The most likely way GSP loses is by getting caught with a punch like the first Sera fight. At the moment Hendricks has the best chance at this.

Hendricks has never faced GSP so I think he will be fearless if they fight.

I also see Hendricks pressuring.

Koscheck lost the ability to see from the outside, that meant a lot... But even still, was Kos taken down much in that second GSP fight?

Hendricks is game, GSP probably outstrikes him over five, but he needs to focus on Ellenberger

Koscheck didn't lose the ability to see in the first fight...same result. GSP will pick him apart and force Hendricks to play his game.

Last edited:
Unless GSP comes in with a serious injury or really sick no one at 170 is going to beat GSP by decession. GSP is probably never going to be submitted again, yes I know Hughes submitted him but that was a long time ago. The most likely way GSP loses is by getting caught with a punch like the first Sera fight. At the moment Hendricks has the best chance at this.

I don't know. Ellenberger is more technical, albeit with a bit less power than Hendricks. He could get lucky, as well.

I don't know. Ellenberger is more technical, albeit with a bit less power than Hendricks. He could get lucky, as well.

I agree I think he has a chance too I just think Hendricks chance is better. On a side note even though I look forward to the fight I think Diaz has almost no shot.

I don't think Diaz has much of a shot, either. Honestly, I'd LOVE to see GSP fight Rory. It'll most likely never happen, unless Rory goes full psycho, though.

He hits like a truck.

That being said, I don't see him beating GSP.

st pierre will obviously be the favorite vs any ww and rightly so but there are a few serious factors to consider

1 - I believe hendricks had the flu when he fought koscheck and was nowhere near 100%
2 - when gsp fought koscheck that 1st time no one thought of him as a wrestler and the idea of him beating koscheck with wrestling was ludicrous - koscheck didn't train his wrestling at all for that fight - he worked purely on stand up - the results are known by all - however, when the 2nd fight rolled around koscheck knew better and the results were dramatically different concerning the ground game - koscheck repeatedly stuffed st pierre's td attempts and was quickly back to his feet when he was taken down - st pierre attempted 9 td's and was only successful with 4 and as stated, he could not keep koscheck on the ground - st pierre's inability to land a TD or do anything with the few he made prompted him to simply give up on the ground game and just stick with the striking battle that he was winning anyway - for koscheck's part he really wanted the ko and therefore only attempted 4 and landed 1
3 - DO NOT expect st pierre to have any better luck with hendricks regarding the ground game - In fact, considering that 2nd fight with koscheck and Hendrick's condition against Koscheck - It might go slightly worse - Also, koscheck 2 happened before the knee - st pierre and his team did a remarkable job with that knee but it's still compromised - Medical science is simply not at that point where it can fashion or repair a joint that is equal to nature's own - the knee doesn't work as well hence neither does gsp - it's a true testament to the extreme rarity and ability of athlete's like gsp and adrian peterson doing what they've done after such extreme repairs but they're still human - there's a reason every nfl analyst is calling peterson a walking miracle and regardless, there's no way he hasn't lost a few years off his career as a result - and st pierre looked great against condit but condit is no wrestler which leads to 4
4 - the prospect of having to stand and trade with hendricks for 25 minutes is no joke - he only needs 1 - he's also a smarter stand up fighter than koscheck and keeping him at the end of that jab all night is a very daunting prospect

this fight is a lot closer, and hendrick's chances are a lot better, than people give him credit for

st pierre always says it but this time it's true: this is his most dangerous opponent to date

and i'm a big gsp fan

Let me start off by saying that Johny Hendricks' run in the UFC has been very impressive. That being said, what leads anyone to believe that he's got anything more than Koscheck had for GSP? Sure, his boxing is a touch better, but it sure wasn't good enough to put away Rick Story. I know that the Story fight was in 2010, but Hendricks was already a developed wrestler at this point. Story dominated Hendricks in the clinch, which is the same thing GSP will do before he takes him to the ground. When I really think about it, Hendricks just seems like Koscheck 2.0. A similar wrestling pedigree with crisper boxing...but not enough to stay off his back against GSP.

I could be way wrong. I have been before and probably will be again in the future.

doesn't matter.

probably no one could beat GSP. do you think no one should fight him? maybe he should just retire?

GSP will be the huge overdog, and rightfully so, when they fight. so what's your point?

He's got the KO power and a good enough wrestling pedigree to keep the fight standing or even shoot for a few takedowns of his own against GSP.

Obviously, my money would be on GSP but I think Hendricks has a much better shot than Diaz. Diaz is gonna get worked.

doesn't matter.

probably no one could beat GSP. do you think no one should fight him? maybe he should just retire?

GSP will be the huge overdog, and rightfully so, when they fight. so what's your point?

My point is that I've read a lot of people stating that Hendricks would undoubtedly take it to GSP and do to him what he did to Kampmann and Fitch.

Also, my point is to discuss topics within the spectrum of MMA...which I do believe is the entire point of this forum, if I'm not mistaken.

TS there isn't anyone on Sherdog that believe Johny has a good shot of beating Georges.

They just feel that with 5 wins in a row, he is due a shot.

He will get his chance to lose soon enough but you shouldn't confuse the two.

He is a left handed fighter, has better 1 punch KO power, but inferior double leg. I think Koscheck has a better TDD as well.

If Hendricks can keep the fight standing and if he doesn't gas, I think he wins. But, I don't think his wrestling credentials are enough to keep him off his back for long. GSP wins 70% of the time. 30% of the time Hendricks pulls a Matt Serra win before GSP gets him down. And GSP wins the rematch.

The best part about Diaz/GSP will be the weigh-ins and the pre-fight staredown and any other good theater. The rest will be either a boring 25-minute dry hump or a boring Condit-style running-man victory.

Let me get this straight...something that happened one time in 25 fights has a 30% chance of happening?

his cardio's not particularly impressive either

My point is that I've read a lot of people stating that Hendricks would undoubtedly take it to GSP and do to him what he did to Kampmann and Fitch.

well there's your mistake; responding to obvious trolls as if they're the majority opinion.

there were 2 or 3 people who thought Hardy would beat GSP too (these posters appear for every GSP fight.) but to look back on those 2 or 3 trolls and say "omfg, sherdoggers (using the royal plural) think Hardy was going to win!" would be inaccurate.

EDIT: basically, Tonycpa 6 posts up says what i'm trying to say more eloquently than i was able to.

1) Hendricks is a better defensive wrestler than koscheck ever was.
2) he wasn't expecting story to go for takedowns. Gsp it's all hell expect.
3) that fight was years ago when he was still relatively new to the UFC. He has noticeably improved since then.

Gsp vs hendricks is the most interesting fight in e Ww division for my $

I'd really enjoy watching Hendricks and GSP compete in a collegiate/folkstyle wrestling match. I'm curious how well GSP would fare.

TS there isn't anyone on Sherdog that believe Johny has a good shot of beating Georges.

They just feel that with 5 wins in a row, he is due a shot.

He will get his chance to lose soon enough but you shouldn't confuse the two.

Pretty much this.

Believing someone earned a shot =/= will win the belt.

One actually has nothing to do with the other. You can believe the champ is unbeatable but that is not a reason to not match him up again other fighters.

Back