Refusing to spot someone

I always say no. I dont have time for that crap/

I was benching yesterday in the power rack and this dude was doing step ups with a barbell on his back loaded up to 155 next to me. He came up and whispered something to me and for some reason I thought he wanted me to take off the 10's, but he wanted me to take the barbell off his back. I curled that shit off his back.

That is all.

I was benching yesterday in the power rack and this dude was doing step ups with a barbell on his back loaded up to 155 next to me. He came up and whispered something to me and for some reason I thought he wanted me to take off the 10's, but he wanted me to take the barbell off his back. I curled that shit off his back.

That is all.

this cracked me up

I have never been refused a spot, i have however numerous times explained to a random bro not to help me with the weight and only to interfere when the bar is going down and i obviously cant keep an upward momentum, for said bro's to assist me on my very first rep with 2 fingers 2 seconds later.

This always happen to me in Thailand. As soon as they touch it once, I re-rack the bar, get up and explain it to them again. Second time they usually get it.

I never refused and rarely get refused myself. I have been "rescued" when squatting sometimes though, when I really had to grind out a rep.

I like minimal involvement from my spotters too, some bros help from the beginning, way too much!

Then there was this heartless bastard who just stood there when he was supposed to spot my preacher curls. Damn near pulled a hamstring.

"You done?"

He was not invited back for the next set. Could have been one of youse "just bleed" sherdoggers...

I never ask for a spot. Everyone has a different interpretation on how to spot and sometimes it just fcks my set up.

As far as someone asking me, no prob. The other day I actually had to rescue a guy with hefty 95lbs on the bench.

ive been asked to help spot a guy on bench before

he loaded up 225 and then do the most wonky press ever...ass off the bench, screaming, face blood red..

i went to help and hes like NO I GOT IT ..

so he did his 2 reps and i helped rack it ... never to help again

I never refuse, but have been refused by someone using the excuse "if you need a spotter, you're lifting too heavy".

I've never refused to spot someone, and I can't remember being refused either.

There's one lifter in my gym who does the same thing every week--he works up to 315, and he either makes or misses the first rep, then goes on to do two more (very) assisted reps with the help of a spotter. I've spotted for him a few times, but now I either look the other way or decline his request for a spot. #1, it seems insanely stupid, and #2, those upright rows are tiring.

I do not like to do it but i will if someone asks.

Had a guy ask me to spot him so i obliged. He was preacher curling 8 - 9 reps and got the last one up about 90%, he said now so i barely touched the bar with 1 finger and he completed his final rep. He was very enthusiastic afterwards. Bar moved about 2 inches with my assist. (Ok experience)

Clay Guida's twin brother asked me for a spot so i follow him to the pullup / dip station. He sets up a plate for weighted chin ups/pullups. I am thinking he wants me to help guide his feet back on the platform when he finishes his reps, wrong. He drives the soles of his shoes into my abdomen and keeps them pressed in the same spot the entire three reps. I guide his feet back onto the platform when he signals for "spot".

I was not very excited to help him. His shoes smelled terrible like old stinky wet gym socks. The best part was his warm up which included making farm animal sounds.

Was that Clay Guida's brother who got DQed for butt scooting and not standing up?

Was that Clay Guida's brother who got DQed for butt scooting and not standing up?

I'm not sure. I am at work and have not reviewed the fights yet.

I know his bigger brother likes to cry, put his face in wastecans, and lay all over the place on TUF.

No that was Nick Serra
Matt Serra's brother

On topic though, I would never spot someone that looks like a Heavyweight at the gym.
It would be like Jim Miller spotting Tim Sylvia.

Some guy benching what I was deadlifting asked me to spot him once. I accepted, but he didn't need a spot, he did all the reps and unracked the weight himself. He was like 100lbs heavier than me, he would've been screwed if something went wrong and he actually needed my help. I never refused to spot someone before, just refused people trying to spot me. I basically never ask anyone to spot me either, except once, and the guy touched the bar during the last like 4" of a 1RM attempt that was going up without his help. I explained to him that unless the bar stops and starts going back down, to not touch it. His bro instincts were too strong though.That was a buzz kill.

There's one lifter in my gym who does the same thing every week--he works up to 315, and he either makes or misses the first rep, then goes on to do two more (very) assisted reps with the help of a spotter. I've spotted for him a few times, but now I either look the other way or decline his request for a spot. #1, it seems insanely stupid, and #2, those upright rows are tiring.
This happened to me a few weeks ago. Guy is under 225 and asks me to spot him. Says he is shooting for 5 reps. I ask if he wants help with lift off. He says yes. I help with lift off. He eeks out one rep and I have to basically upright row half the fkn weight because not a chance in hell he would get rep 2 by himself let alone 4 more. Fk that shit. Spotting is one thing. Expecting me to lift half of your weight is ridiculous.

Back