Reebok: the "all the money goes to the fighters" BS

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Verace, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Verace

Verace Silver Belt

So... from what dana said, the deal is 70 million for 6 years.

How does it even work?

Because suppose some fighters get cut, retire, or whatever, and new fighters get signed... since they are paid by tenure, what happens to all the money thats left.

Not only that but suppose high tier fighters star fighting a lot more often then low tier. Wouldnt that use the money faster?

What 70 is not enough by the end of 6 years then what?

Also, another interesting thing is currently the ufc has 603 fighters.

70mil divided by 603 = 116,086.235
    Now devide that for 6 years = 19,347.705

So, basically if this was paid fairly amongst all fighters, they would basically receive 20k a year for sponsoring.

Am i off here?

2. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

This isn't a Ronda vs ___ thread.

3. soulsstealer

soulsstealer Silver Belt

UFC doesnt really pay its fighters very much out of their own pocket why would they do any different with sponsorship money.

4. CRuck1980

CRuck1980 Gold Belt

I don't see the point of everybody obsessing over other people's money

5. Damianj

Damianj Brown Belt

I really don't understand how Reebok can afford to do any of this anyway. I never see anyone wearing their stuff, anywhere. They mmust be big overseas cause they don't sell shit in the states.

6. dyland88

dyland88 Blue Belt

Maybe thats why they are risking an investment to be the sole sponsor of the athletes in the premier league of the fastest growing sport in the world??

7. BIKES!

BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

It would be interesting to see what fighters prior to the Reebok agreement were pulling in. If guy's like Schuab were really making $100K per fight (an actual quote from him) this would be an egregious deal from all accounts.
    In any other company this would leave to all the talent leaving. Fortunately for the UFC they are like the NFL with no other comparative options.
    Dana should really be ashamed of himself. What a horrible idea that strips money off the plates of fighter's children and forces them to fight part time in order to pay the bills.

8. Verace

Verace Silver Belt

they should all leave to bellator. then hire stich and burt too, and things can go back like they were before the usada and reebok shit

9. Chromosome47

Chromosome47 Brown Belt

How many times are you going to comment about how you don't get why people care about the athletes they love to watch. I don't get people like you who are obsessing over what other people think about fighter pay. If you don't care then go ahead and fuck right off, no one will miss you. It's pathetic to see someone so butt-hurt over the fact that people are passionate about something. You sound like a miserable twat.

10. DaffodilMcWoozy

DaffodilMcWoozy Brown Belt

I thought we were fight fans, not business fans

11. Damianj

Damianj Brown Belt

Sure. But HOW.....where does Reebok get this money for this large of an investment? They don't sell anything in the US. I can only assume they're overseas sales keep them alive.

12. KingOfTheDojo

KingOfTheDojo Bangkok Ready

Adidas bought Reebok a few years ago, so yeah it's chump change for them. The only reason you don't see anyone wearing Reebok anymore is because Adidas purposely sank the brand into the ground in order to catapult their business to new heights (compete neck and neck with Nike)

13. groo

groo Gold Belt

How are the offices at Zuffa? Is the a/c set at a good temp? Or kinda colder than it should be?

14. justbetter

justbetter Brown Belt

I think to get a more accurate estimate you would need to divide the 70million/6years by how many fights there are per year, minus a rough admin cost. It really isn't that much money to go around.

15. Damianj

Damianj Brown Belt

That makes much more sense. And I assume the reason Adidas didn't do anything with the UFC is because of soccer?

16. Xaa

Xaa Purple Belt

That's really high quality humor. The subtlety of it all is just beautiful. See, because that guy didn't just jump in and start trashing a deal of which he isn't a part, that means he must work for Zuffa and be at their offices. That's really clever.

17. M.V.C.

M.V.C. Silver Belt

I'm sure we can sneak it somewhere.

18. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

UFC knows what they're doing...the fighters don't know what's UFC is doing...
    Easy to distribute the money since UFC started cutting high profile fighters but some people find boring. (okami, fitch). they are off loading fighters that would bit big chunks off the pie but don't generate a lot of sales...

19. yermajesty

yermajesty Purple Belt

Reebok never said that... they said the UFC decides how they spend the 70 million dollars.

20. Xaa

Xaa Purple Belt

Except Okami was cut in Sept 2013 and Fitch Feb 2013 or about 2 to 2.5 years before either would have seen anything from Reebok.