Reebok: the "all the money goes to the fighters" BS

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So... from what dana said, the deal is 70 million for 6 years.

How does it even work?

Because suppose some fighters get cut, retire, or whatever, and new fighters get signed... since they are paid by tenure, what happens to all the money thats left.

Not only that but suppose high tier fighters star fighting a lot more often then low tier. Wouldnt that use the money faster?

What 70 is not enough by the end of 6 years then what?

Also, another interesting thing is currently the ufc has 603 fighters.

70mil divided by 603 = 116,086.235
Now devide that for 6 years = 19,347.705

So, basically if this was paid fairly amongst all fighters, they would basically receive 20k a year for sponsoring.

Am i off here?

UFC doesnt really pay its fighters very much out of their own pocket why would they do any different with sponsorship money.

I don't see the point of everybody obsessing over other people's money

I really don't understand how Reebok can afford to do any of this anyway. I never see anyone wearing their stuff, anywhere. They mmust be big overseas cause they don't sell shit in the states.

I really don't understand how Reebok can afford to do any of this anyway. I never see anyone wearing their stuff, anywhere. They mmust be big overseas cause they don't sell shit in the states.

Maybe thats why they are risking an investment to be the sole sponsor of the athletes in the premier league of the fastest growing sport in the world??

So, basically if this was paid fairly amongst all fighters, they would basically receive 20k a year for sponsoring.

Am i off here?
It would be interesting to see what fighters prior to the Reebok agreement were pulling in. If guy's like Schuab were really making $100K per fight (an actual quote from him) this would be an egregious deal from all accounts.
In any other company this would leave to all the talent leaving. Fortunately for the UFC they are like the NFL with no other comparative options.
Dana should really be ashamed of himself. What a horrible idea that strips money off the plates of fighter's children and forces them to fight part time in order to pay the bills.

It would be interesting to see what fighters prior to the Reebok agreement were pulling in. If guy's like Schuab were really making $100K per fight (an actual quote from him) this would be an egregious deal from all accounts.
In any other company this would leave to all the talent leaving. Fortunately for the UFC they are like the NFL with no other comparative options.
Dana should really be ashamed of himself. What a horrible idea that strips money off the plates of fighter's children and forces them to fight part time in order to pay the bills.

they should all leave to bellator. then hire stich and burt too, and things can go back like they were before the usada and reebok shit

I don't see the point of everybody obsessing over other people's money

How many times are you going to comment about how you don't get why people care about the athletes they love to watch. I don't get people like you who are obsessing over what other people think about fighter pay. If you don't care then go ahead and fuck right off, no one will miss you. It's pathetic to see someone so butt-hurt over the fact that people are passionate about something. You sound like a miserable twat.

Maybe thats why they are risking an investment to be the sole sponsor of the athletes in the premier league of the fastest growing sport in the world??

Sure. But HOW.....where does Reebok get this money for this large of an investment? They don't sell anything in the US. I can only assume they're overseas sales keep them alive.

Adidas bought Reebok a few years ago, so yeah it's chump change for them. The only reason you don't see anyone wearing Reebok anymore is because Adidas purposely sank the brand into the ground in order to catapult their business to new heights (compete neck and neck with Nike)

So... from what dana said, the deal is 70 million for 6 years.

How does it even work?

Because suppose some fighters get cut, retire, or whatever, and new fighters get signed... since they are paid by tenure, what happens to all the money thats left.

Not only that but suppose high tier fighters star fighting a lot more often then low tier. Wouldnt that use the money faster?

Am i off here?

I think to get a more accurate estimate you would need to divide the 70million/6years by how many fights there are per year, minus a rough admin cost. It really isn't that much money to go around.

Adidas bought Reebok a few years ago, so yeah it's chump change for them. The only reason you don't see anyone wearing Reebok anymore is because Adidas purposely sank the brand into the ground in order to catapult their business to new heights (compete neck and neck with Nike)

That makes much more sense. And I assume the reason Adidas didn't do anything with the UFC is because of soccer?

How are the offices at Zuffa? Is the a/c set at a good temp? Or kinda colder than it should be?

That's really high quality humor. The subtlety of it all is just beautiful. See, because that guy didn't just jump in and start trashing a deal of which he isn't a part, that means he must work for Zuffa and be at their offices. That's really clever.

UFC knows what they're doing...the fighters don't know what's UFC is doing...
Easy to distribute the money since UFC started cutting high profile fighters but some people find boring. (okami, fitch). they are off loading fighters that would bit big chunks off the pie but don't generate a lot of sales...

Reebok never said that... they said the UFC decides how they spend the 70 million dollars.

UFC knows what they're doing...the fighters don't know what's UFC is doing...
Easy to distribute the money since UFC started cutting high profile fighters but some people find boring. (okami, fitch). they are off loading fighters that would bit big chunks off the pie but don't generate a lot of sales...

Except Okami was cut in Sept 2013 and Fitch Feb 2013 or about 2 to 2.5 years before either would have seen anything from Reebok.

Back