Redwing15's Training Log

R

Redwing15

Longtime Sherdog reader, first time poster. I have been weight training off and on since my freshman year of high school. My problem is, when I let go, I REALLY let go. I have done Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program before, and I had decent gains with it. Since I'm starting from scratch again, I might as well keep a log.

Height: 5'8"
Weight:~155lb

Goals: Get stronger. Of course, looking good in the process doesnt hurt either, but strength is the main thing.

*Note* This is Day 3 for me, because I forgot to write days 1 and 2 down.

7/24/10

Bench: 3x5 @ 135

Squat: 3x5 @ 155 :redface: This is un-acceptable

Press: 1x5 @ 75
1x4 @ 75 (fail on 5th) (EDIT: These were 75, 75, and 65 and they were Seated Presses).
1x5 @ 65

Pullups: 1x12
1x9
1x10 (All at BW)

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be embarrased with your squat, we were all on the same boat once. Enjoy your noob gains while they last. You plan on putting on some weight? You're pretty light for your height.

Good luck with your goals

Yeah, I plan on putting on some weight. Right now, I'm just concerned about getting enough calories and protein and maintaining the strength I gain.

7/27/10

After reading more about the SS program, I realized that weight increases workout to workout, not week to week as I thought. So today, I backed off a bit on the weight.

Press: 3x5 @ 75

*Note* Alternating means SWITCH day to day. (I had been doing Press and Bench on the same day previously.)

Squat: 3x5 @ 145

Deadlift: 3x5 @ 205

This was the only lift I increased, since I had been at 185 the week before. I only deadlift once a week (because I don't know how to power clean, and I don't want to eff myself up while learning). Its a shame though, I really enjoy deadlifts.

It seems to me that 10-15lbs squat and 5-10lbs bench increase is a little steep for every other day. I do realize that this is only for the first few weeks, then the gains are cut in half.

7/30/10

Bench:

1x3@140
1x5@135
1x5@135

Squat:

1x2@155
1x2@155
1x2@150

Chinups:

1x20
1x15
1x8 (All @ BW)

Bad day today. My form just went to shit on the squat. I'm thinking I started with too much weight. The next workout will be dedicated to finding my working weights, and I will restart the program.

Yep, I'm planning to gain weight. Right now I'm eating all I can, because I'm worried about getting enough calories and maintaining any muscle and strength gains. I'm still eating within reason though, no McDonalds or Taco Bell 24/7. Lots of Peanut butter and honey sandwiches and lots of whole milk.

Yep, I'm planning to gain weight. Right now I'm eating all I can, because I'm worried about getting enough calories and maintaining any muscle and strength gains. I'm still eating within reason though, no McDonalds or Taco Bell 24/7. Lots of Peanut butter and honey sandwiches and lots of whole milk.

Man that makes me want a gordita supreme 2 dollar meal deal. Well good luck with the weight gain.

8/1/10

Reset the program. If I'm gonna do it, I'm going to do it right. I found my working weights via the First Workout protocol on the SS Wiki. I tried to have as strict form as possible, and I tried to stay conservative.

Bench: 3x5 @ 115

Squat: 3x5 @ 105 (That's a little fucked up)

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 165

Press: 3x5 @ 55

There. It can only get better from here, and I will feel much more comfortable with the day to day increases. Can't wait for Tuesday.

8/3/10

Bench: 3x5 @ 120

Squat: 3x5 @ 115

Pullups: 1x18
1x8
1x12 (All @ BW, to failure)

Good day today. Squat was a bit harder than I expected (due to a 1.5mi jog last night). I tried as hard as I could to keep strict form, I'll be ready to go next time. Can't wait till Thursday.

I am the same height and around the same weight as you when I started SS. The weights will go up very quickly. Don't forget to invest in chalk if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, the weights arent too bad yet. I do need to invest in some pants soon, because deadlift days leave my shins a little scraped up. Its fine with me, but I hate having to sanitize the equipment every time.

8/5/10

Squat: 3x5 @ 125

Press: 3x5 @ 60

Chinups: 1x20
1x12
1x9 (All @ BW)

Good day today, everything was pretty easy. As soon as I get over 15 reps for 2 consecutive sets (pulls or chins) I will begin adding weight. Kinda bummed that its the "weekend" already. I get really stir crazy when I can't work out. I'm really starting to dig this program, even though I'm still in the light weights.

Thanks for the tip, the weights arent too bad yet. I do need to invest in some pants soon, because deadlift days leave my shins a little scraped up. Its fine with me, but I hate having to sanitize the equipment every time.

I just got knee high socks for deadlifts. I do light squats on my deadlift days so i'm afraid i'm going to rip my pants if i wear them while squatting.

8/7/10

Supposed to be two off days, but I cannot workout tomorrow. I will start my off days on Sunday. Tues, Thurs, Sat work split.

Bench: 3x5 @ 125

Squat: 3x5 @ 135 First work set was kinda challenging. Set 2 was easier. Set 3 was easiest, but it was still a decent challenge. Full ROM, no half squat BS.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 185

Btw, I still warm up for every exercise but I dont write them down.

8/10/10

Squat: 3x5 @ 145

Press: 3x5 @ 65

Pullups: 1x18
1x10
1x8

Squat was easy. Every day I begin to like the squat more and more. Press was okay, pulls/chins are pretty consistent. I will begin to add weight soon.

8/12/10

Bench: 3x5 @ 130

Squat: 3x5 @ 155

Chinups: 1x24
1x16
1x9

Had a pretty awesome day today. Bench was good. Squats: I made 155 my bitch today. Chinups were good, I will invest in a dip belt and add weight the next workout.

Getting my copy of Starting Strength today!

8/14/10

Squat: 2x5 @ 165
1x4 @ 165 Missed rep 2 on set 3

Press: 3x5 @ 70

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 205

Squat:
Form felt a little off today. I was trying to use strict form, but I don't think my depth was as far as I could go. I missed a rep because I was not in mental focus and all my muscles relaxed. The next three were okay though. I'm going to keep the weight at 165 for next time and make sure I have the form nailed down.

Press: Was okay, I have to work on my breathing.

Deadlift: Was a challenge. It could be because of the squats, or the fact that I ate like shit yesterday. It wasn't brutal, but I felt in my quads for some reason. THAT DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. It might be that I'm not pushing from the heels, but thats just a guess.

8/17/10

Bench: 3x5 @ 135

Squat: 3x5 @ 165

Pullups: 1x10 @ BW +10
1x8 @ BW +5
1x6 @ BW +5

Squat form felt much better today. I tried to keep my knees out as much as possible. I also have a habit of looking forward. Rip says to look down as if you were pinching a tennis ball between your chin and chest. He also says that during a properly executed squat, fucked up things will un-fuck themselves. I think today was a good day for squat.

Pullups were hard today. I think I'll start with BW +5 and try to hit 15 reps or more, for 2 consecutive sets, and then go up in 5lb increments.

8/19/10

Squat: 1x2 @ 175 Missed reps 2 and 4. Did not attempt 5
1x4 @ 165 Missed rep 2
1x5 @ 155

Press: 3x5 @ 75

Chinups (BW +5): 1x17
1x13
1x11

Squat was hard today. It could be that I'm not eating enough or not enough quality sleep. It could also be that my weight increments should taper off by half, as it has been more than two weeks since I started.

I'm going to try 175 again for next time and see how it goes. Until then, I'm in for some hardcore rest and recovery.

Back