Red Dead Redemption 2 Online, v1. There be Gold Bars in them hills Edition

Yeah I think it's especially bare bones because they're trying to establish the base before building on it. I'm sure they have a long term plan similar to GTAO in terms of content. If they added too much right now, they wouldn't be able to pinpoint the problems of the finer details because they'd be spread too thin.
There won't be a fanbase left with the paltry amount of content to play in the online. It's like Sea of Thieves. It's fun at first but a boring slog of a grindfest and nothing to do but just grief is boring af.

I find Rockstar's attempts at online pitiful. They garner huge crowds no doubt, but NOT because of multiplayer.

I have 350 hrs in GTA V just for the PC edition. I also bought on release day for the PS3, and bought the PS4 version as well. I have spent maybe 20hrs in multiplayer, the last hour being well over a year ago.

I'm never one to try and take things away from people but I just wish they fucking put more effort into releasing more single player campaigns rather than their online play, GTA V being the prime example.

The online is good, but it is NO WHERE near as good as Left4Dead 1/2, Halo 1-3, Counterstrike, COD xxx, or the other mainly multiplayer games.

Rockstar has far too much talent to waste on multiplayer because multiplayer always boils down to a core mechanic. The best multiplayer games can have meager budgets with mediocre staff if the core mechanic is solid.

All the extra full Rockstar adds to their multiplayer is just wasted fairly dust imo. Better to focus the effort on creating more adventures.
I'm way more drawn to the multiplayer of this game than GTA. Getting lost in the wilderness of the old west is way more enticing than anything GTA could offer, as someone who likes to roleplay and is a big fan of the setting. All you're really saying is you prefer a different kind of multiplayer but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with this approach.

There won't be a fanbase left with the paltry amount of content to play in the online. It's like Sea of Thieves. It's fun at first but a boring slog of a grindfest and nothing to do but just grief is boring af.
I don't think it's anywhere close to Sea of Thieves and there's still plenty of players online. I'm sure they will pull players in.

I'm way more drawn to the multiplayer of this game than GTA. Getting lost in the wilderness of the old west is way more enticing than anything GTA could offer, as someone who likes to roleplay and is a big fan of the setting. All you're really saying is you prefer a different kind of multiplayer but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with this approach.

That's not what I was saying at all. I merely referenced my hrs spent in GTA V multiplayer to demonstrate how it isn't the reason why players can spend countless hrs playing it.

Your comment isn't unique though. I've seen dozens of comments on YouTube of people who also prefer the sandbox of RDR and even go as far to say RDR2 is more detailed than GTA V. Of course they are blindly wrong.

RDR2 only appears more detailed because the entire map is based around a handful of unique towns. GTA V's downtown area has more unique buildings than RDR2 as a whole. Most of RDR2 is just rocks and foliage, that while may be mostly unique and non-repeating textures, they are not "detailed" like a random city block is.

The overall engine has improved no doubt. The foliage, bloom, animations, and overall lighting is better. But all these things will carry over onto GTA VI which will once again take graphics to a whole new level.

Last edited:
That's not what I was saying at all. I merely referenced my hrs spent in GTA V multiplayer to demonstrate how it isn't the reason why players can spend countless hrs playing it.

Your comment isn't unique though. I've seen dozens of comments on YouTube of people who also prefer the sandbox of RDR and even go as far to say RDR2 is more detailed than GTA V. Of course they are blindly wrong.

RDR2 only appears more detailed because the entire map is based around a handful of unique towns. GTA V's downtown area has more unique buildings than RDR2 as a whole. Most of RDR2 is just rocks and foliage, that while may be mostly unique and non-repeating textures, they are not "detailed" like a random city block is.

The overall engine has improved no doubt. The foliage, bloom, animations, and overall lighting is better. But all these things will carry over onto GTA VI which will once again take graphics to a whole new level.
I completely disagree with you on this. It's much more difficult to create an open wilderness that's aesthetically pleasing, organic, and doesn't feel empty in atmosphere and life. As someone who grew up in the country and spent a lot of time driving on backroads looking for animals and later got in to some landscape photography in Texas and Colorado, this setting is far more appealing to me than a city block that has some interesting details but I can't interact with in any meaningful way.

There's some absolutely stunning landscapes that are a lot more than random foliage and rocks. As I hunt, fish, forage, or just explore these environments I can feel fully immersed in the setting as opposed to GTA's cities where I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in like a movie.

I played GTAO early after its release and it felt much more empty with nothing to do, I rode around on my motorcycle and dominated races but had nothing else to do or unlock. The online in Red Dead is already much much better to me than GTAO was later in its development. That's subjective though and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for preferring either game.

If you kill me for no apparent reason, please know I will hunt you down mercilessly until you rage quit

I completely disagree with you on this. It's much more difficult to create an open wilderness that's aesthetically pleasing, organic, and doesn't feel empty in atmosphere and life. As someone who grew up in the country and spent a lot of time driving on backroads looking for animals and later got in to some landscape photography in Texas and Colorado, this setting is far more appealing to me than a city block that has some interesting details but I can't interact with in any meaningful way.

There's some absolutely stunning landscapes that are a lot more than random foliage and rocks. As I hunt, fish, forage, or just explore these environments I can feel fully immersed in the setting as opposed to GTA's cities where I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in like a movie.

I played GTAO early after its release and it felt much more empty with nothing to do, I rode around on my motorcycle and dominated races but had nothing else to do or unlock. The online in Red Dead is already much much better to me than GTAO was later in its development. That's subjective though and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for preferring either game.

Detail is not that subjective. City scapes have more detail, plain and simple.

You are arguing preference. I never dive into that territory.

That's an ignorant statement. You vastly underestimate how hard it is to create landscapes. It's like you saying Michelangelo should have made David more jacked because it's objectively superior.

That's an ignorant statement. You vastly underestimate how hard it is to create landscapes. It's like you saying Michelangelo should have made David more jacked because it's objectively superior.

Well, Michelango did make David jacked. He made all of his works overally muscular. That was his trademark thing. He was unfortunstely very jealous of Leonardo, who was naturally fit and handsome. Michealangelo was short and ugly but he was the better artist imo.

Anyways, you are still over estimating how easy it is to create unique rocks and foliage.

I didn't see that last part, don't know if you edited it or I missed it. You saying it's more detailed is wrong. GTA may have detail that is easier for you to recognize but there's a balance in making a wild landscape. If you put too much detail in it no longer feels organic, if you put too little it feels uninspired and lifeless. A good artist knows how to use the empty space to their advantage and RDR has done that masterfully. If I take everything in my kitchen and combine it in to one sandwich and compare it to a master chef who crafted a meal with a few ingredients but balanced them to compliment each other, I could say my sandwich has more detail because it has more parts, but the detail to me is the thought behind it.

Well, Michelango did make David jacked. He made all of his works overally muscular. That was his trademark thing. He was unfortunstely very jealous of Leonardo, who was naturally fit and handsome. Michealangelo was short and ugly but he was the better artist imo.

Anyways, you are still over estimating how easy it is to create unique rocks and foliage.
I meant like Rob Liefield jacked. And unless you're a landscape artist, you have no idea how difficult it is to create something of this size.

I didn't see that last part, don't know if you edited it or I missed it. You saying it's more detailed is wrong. GTA may have detail that is easier for you to recognize but there's a balance in making a wild landscape. If you put too much detail in it no longer feels organic, if you put too little it feels uninspired and lifeless. A good artist knows how to use the empty space to their advantage and RDR has done that masterfully. If I take everything in my kitchen and combine it in to one sandwich and compare it to a master chef who crafted a meal with a few ingredients but balanced them to compliment each other, I could say my sandwich has more detail because it has more parts, but the detail to me is the thought behind it.

Whatever you say. I have about 20hrs into RDR2 and while I notice the huge leaps in terms of bloom and overall lighting, the detail is only marginally better than the rural areas of GTA V.

But the downtown areas of GTA V it are no contest. The texture detail is simply better. How many repeating buildings are in GTA V?

Poisoned arrows are pretty awesome. They work like improved arrows so I can one shot alligators with headshots. The nice thing is if I miss the head shot on anything the poison still takes them down.

Went on for about 20 minutes yesterday and today I'm fucking officially burnt out of this. I can only fish so many sockeye and steelhead, shoot so many birds, rob so many coaches, replay so many "story missions". This shit is stale man. THEY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING SOON

Went on for about 20 minutes yesterday and today I'm fucking officially burnt out of this. I can only fish so many sockeye and steelhead, shoot so many birds, rob so many coaches, replay so many "story missions". This shit is stale man. THEY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING SOON
Yeah I haven't touched a mission or Showdown in days, I just fish by Valentine to make money and hunt in the bayou when I need to mix it up. I think their plan is to trickle out content over time so they can keep players around as long as possible. With no updates in the past few weeks I'm betting the next one will be pretty substantial and might be new content, the balancing seems to be out of the way for the most part.

I don't know how many played in the first few days but there was almost no animals or NPC's in the wild, the game has already improved a lot and I'm glad they've taken the time to solidify the base.

What’s nice too is so far other players actually want to complete the missions and get the pay out. In GTA it seemed like you’d get guys who would die on purpose or do stupid shit to sabotage the missions.

Good looking update today. (Edit-My bad, coming soon, not today)
  • Daily Challenges: Tackle new challenges each day covering every aspect of the game, from sharpshooting to evading the law.
  • Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.
  • Parley Changes: We’re making the Parley system easier to trigger so that you can avoid aggressive players more quickly. In addition, it will be easier to trigger Feuds, Posse Feuds and Leader Feuds to take on attacking players in structured competition.
  • Proximity-Based Player Blips: Player location blips will soon appear only over short distances, reducing the range at which you are visible to others, decreasing the likelihood of being targeted by another player across large areas. Down the line, we’re also looking to introduce the ability to identify players who grief and kill indiscriminately with a progressively darkening blip that becomes more visible and at a longer range, so everyone in a session can identify potentially dangerous opponents at a glance and from a safe distance.

And what they have planned.
  • All-new missions to build on your Story in A Land Of Opportunities – from previously established characters like Horley and Jessica LeClerk, and some new ones as well.
  • A range of Dynamic Events throughout the world
  • Lots of new competitive modes including new Showdown Modes and Races
  • Plus new weapons and clothing, and lots more that we’re not quite ready to announce just yet…

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60804/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Update

Last edited:
You read that completely wrong. The ONLY thing added today was gun rush. That's it. That other shit? That's what they have planned. All we got was cowboy fucking fortnite
Ah you're right, I imagine separating the lists means that they must be coming soon though. Looks like positive changes that people have been asking for, just need that content to come sooner than later.

Last edited:
Back