rear hooks

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Remember Me?, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Remember Me?

Remember Me? Orange Belt

I've got this habit with my rear hooks lately, but I dont know if it really makes a big difference.
    When I throw the rear hook, i tend to bend my arm. Picture it like this. My hand is in front of my neck, and my elbow is up towards my face, so it's almost like im curving it downward. I havent got into heavy sparring yet so I dont know of this is a bad habit or not. If it's not gonna affect anything then I'm fine with it, I just wanted to know if it needs to be fixed. I'm very new to boxing so forgive me for stupid questions.

2. Spoonman7

Spoonman7 Red Belt

sounds a little off to me, but I would have to see it before I could make an accurate analysis. It should be straighter than the way you are describing it though

3. fdupnct

fdupnct Blue Belt

I don't know how it will affect you but I would say that your hooks should be parallel to the floor when you throw them.

4. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

Is it effective for you? I agree with fdupnct, your hooks should be parallel to the ground. Well thats how I do it.

5. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

sounds like an overhand right hook to me. It's an o.k. thing to do, as long as you know that is what you are doing. But you should work on keeping a real hook going all the same. It reaches the target faster.

6. Orsyn

Orsyn Asian Connoisseur

If you haven't thrown a parallel hook, give it a shot, You might feel like you get more power. I tried doing what you said and I felt like I had no power. I'm sure if I practiced it maybe I could but it was just weird for me.