rear hooks

Remember Me?

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've got this habit with my rear hooks lately, but I dont know if it really makes a big difference.
When I throw the rear hook, i tend to bend my arm. Picture it like this. My hand is in front of my neck, and my elbow is up towards my face, so it's almost like im curving it downward. I havent got into heavy sparring yet so I dont know of this is a bad habit or not. If it's not gonna affect anything then I'm fine with it, I just wanted to know if it needs to be fixed. I'm very new to boxing so forgive me for stupid questions.

sounds a little off to me, but I would have to see it before I could make an accurate analysis. It should be straighter than the way you are describing it though

I don't know how it will affect you but I would say that your hooks should be parallel to the floor when you throw them.

Remember Me? said:
I've got this habit with my rear hooks lately, but I dont know if it really makes a big difference.
When I throw the rear hook, i tend to bend my arm. Picture it like this. My hand is in front of my neck, and my elbow is up towards my face, so it's almost like im curving it downward. I havent got into heavy sparring yet so I dont know of this is a bad habit or not. If it's not gonna affect anything then I'm fine with it, I just wanted to know if it needs to be fixed. I'm very new to boxing so forgive me for stupid questions.

Is it effective for you? I agree with fdupnct, your hooks should be parallel to the ground. Well thats how I do it.

sounds like an overhand right hook to me. It's an o.k. thing to do, as long as you know that is what you are doing. But you should work on keeping a real hook going all the same. It reaches the target faster.

If you haven't thrown a parallel hook, give it a shot, You might feel like you get more power. I tried doing what you said and I felt like I had no power. I'm sure if I practiced it maybe I could but it was just weird for me.

Back