Re-Watched Costa vs. Vettori (sober)

I also feel like the striking stats during the broadcasts have just been atrocious. Classic scoring conundrum of quantity vs quality. Personally I did not like the point deduction from Herzog. Aside from that deduction though, I think a wide range of scores is possible, depending on how you value impact. How many medium impact punches does it take to equal 1 really hard punch? The Costa kicks to the head and body that were blocked, do those still score? They did after all have a significant impact.

It was a damn good scrap. Glad the deduction did not directly impact the decision.

Vettori won rounds 1 3 and 4

You're wrong, sorry, try again next time!

A for effort!

If you look at what I said about Round 3, I said optics go to Vettori due to him being on top in the end.

But if you really watch the round, Costa murders him to the body and head, scores a decisive takedown, beats his head into the canvas — and then loses the top position due to a failed submission. It was basically "a gift" for a round in which Vettori was getting massacred up till the midpoint.

Then, when Vettori was on top, he really couldn't do anything. Costa nullified him.

You may disagree, but I think almost every bit of the effective work in Round 3 was achieved by Costa. Watch it again, and tell me different. At best, it was 10-10.

I've hardly started any threads. Three to be exact.

I gave my reasoning, and I'm not trying to spam.

You signed up 5th October so less then 19 days ago. That means you are posting a dozen times a day, every day for 3 weeks straight as a brand new account.

Definitely should not be allowed to make threads and this is why.

You signed up 5th October so less then 19 days ago. That means you are posting a dozen times a day, every day for 3 weeks straight as a brand new account.

Definitely should not be allowed to make threads and this is why.

At least I'm trying to discuss a current fight.

All you seem to do is criticize members, and for what?

Because I am talking about a fight ... on a fight forum?

Isn't that what we're supposed to do? Only you are making this a personal attack.

What TS wishes he'd to to Costa

GrouchyUntimelyJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

Are you implying the whole world was drunk yesterday because nobody thought it was controversial

COSTA vs. VETTORI

The punch stats the announcers kept quoting, meaning volume and "significant strikes," are very misleading. There's no question Vettori landed more punches, but to say that Vettori landed more "significant strikes" than Costa is a flat out lie. I don't care what the punch stats state: Paulo Costa's punches had at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches. I mean Ray Charles could see this. So here's how I scored it:

Round 1:
Vettori more active, Costa more effective. Almost every punch Costa landed was brutal, and targeted to a vital zone. By contrast, almost every punch Vettori landed was more "annoying and disrupting," without any real debilitating effect on Costa. While the volume goes to Vettori, the effective damage goes to Costa. In my view, therefore, there was no clear winner. If I had to give someone an edge, optics go to Vettori, effectiveness goes to Costa. (10-10 Even)

Round 2:
Again, almost every punch Costa landed was effective, brutal, and in a vital zone. Costa is really doing damage and had the momentum on his side. Fluke eye poke ruins Costa's momentum. As if that wasn't bad enough, Herzog then takes a point away from what was clearly a major Costa round. Costa the clear winner in damage, and momentum, but the point deduction makes this round a wash. (9-9 Even)

Round 3:
Costa appears to be looking for the kill. Again, landing brutal shots in vital zones. Costa's take-down amplifies his initial dominance of the round — and he starts to brutalize Vettori with ground-and-pound. However, a mistake in attempting a submission, while on top, gives Vettori the top position, with Costa remaining on his back for the remainder of the round. However, on his back, Costa completely nullifies everything Vettori is trying to do. Although all officials scored this route for Vettori, to me Vettori didn't really do shit in this round, besides take abuse. He was getting beaten badly, brutally, and was taken down — and then he was only "gifted" a top position where he didn't really do shit with it. On damage and initial momentum, a clear Costa round. Even from the top position, Vettori did not dominate. (10-9 Costa)

Round 4:
To me, this was Vettori's best round. Costa, although, again, throwing a few brutal shots, backed-up too much and did too little. He still landed, by far, the harder shots, but Vettori's pressure and volume, and Costa's lack of activity, made this the only clear winning round for Vettori. (9-10 Vettori)

Round 5:
Costa opened up with a devastating right cross in the first second of the fight, and continued to punish and brutalize Vettori throughout the round. Vettori desperately going for takedowns, trying to clinch, while Costa brutalizes Vettori's head, face, and body. Vettori's punches have no effect on Costa. Costa is starting to really break Vettori down. Marvin Vettori is left with trying to smother Costa against the fence, because he doesn't want to take any more abuse, and knows he cannot hurt Paulo Costa. Had the fight continued, Paulo Costa would've finished him. (10-9, Costa)

SCORE: 48-47, Paulo Costa
So you stopped drinking just to do a bunch of hard drugs instead?

Already the UFC shills and beta males are hating on this factual and sober analysis. Costa was robbed bad

Costa is quickly reaching Mcgregor left hand status with this mythical power sherdog ascribes him. Your talking about bias commentary whilst describing costa as the terminator in every round, when he failed to produce a single knockdown. WHAT A VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER!

Marvin Clittors ate a clean headkick without blinking-so maybe Costa does not hit that hard or Clittoris has an iron chin.Thats why you have sig strikes category.

At least I'm trying to discuss a current fight.

All you seem to do is criticize members, and for what?

Because I am talking about a fight ... on a fight forum?

Isn't that what we're supposed to do? Only you are making this a personal attack.
I agree with your assessment of the fight leaning 3 rounds to 2 in favor of Costa. I had the same reasoning behind my interpretation of what transpired. You gave a realistic round by round breakdown, solid thread. Don’t let the 2010 account bully you he’s obviously just a TUF noob.

<JonesLaugh>

Buh buh buh but Costa kicks were loud!!! He won!!! Derrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Don't brother TS. People were already upset about him missing weight. They're not going to admit Costa win regardless of what you say.

I had him winning slightly too. Or already a draw at worst.
Or you just judged it for your hero? Deal with it. I’d love to have licence to say what I really think and why your opinion is so warped. But, I’ll be fine knowing it in my heart.

Costa is quickly reaching Mcgregor left hand status with this mythical power sherdog ascribes him. Your talking about bias commentary whilst describing costa as the terminator in every round, when he failed to produce a single knockdown. WHAT A VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER!

To be fair, did izzy even drop him? You could hear those body kicks by costs all the way from hell

Costa got beat by a Jacked White boi Ya'll just need to deal wit it. :cool:

TS has a point here. Vettori definitely the busier fighter who landed more but Costa's offense was way more devastating. Costa wasn't really hurt at any point in the fight.
I think you can make an argument for either but I think people really want to give it to Marvin because they hate what Cost ya did.

I’m feeling the need to go and rewatch the entire fight now, I really did think that the fight was closer than most people were letting on to. The Sherdog groupthink and the UFC commentary pushing their narrative unfortunately does have a profound impact on opinions.

I’m fairly objective, particularly on this subject since I was a fan of both until Costa began with his dubious behavior post Adesanya fight...
<5>
I used to have Costa and Vettori both I n my sig as Just Bleed Disciple’s, but the Adesanya no-show and subsequent excuses caused me to erased the eraser...LoL, too much cringe
<{Red Card}>

Back