Re-Watched Costa vs. Vettori (sober)

thats a fair assessment, could see it like that if it was scored on effectiveness of strikes

But what does that mean really? all its means is they looked effective. Few hurt Vetorri, and he never slowed down So those strikes really weren't that effective.

So both ways it was "ineffective" strikes. Costa's just appeared that way, whilst Vetorris maybe appeared less effective and more "annoying" - as you said.

So there fore volume of strikes comes into it, and hence Vetorri wins.

COSTA vs. VETTORI

The punch stats the announcers kept quoting, meaning volume and "significant strikes," are very misleading. There's no question Vettori landed more punches, but to say that Vettori landed more "significant strikes" than Costa is a flat out lie. I don't care what the punch stats state: Paulo Costa's punches had at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches. I mean Ray Charles could see this. So here's how I scored it:

Round 1:
Vettori more active, Costa more effective. Almost every punch Costa landed was brutal, and targeted to a vital zone. By contrast, almost every punch Vettori landed was more "annoying and disrupting," without any real debilitating effect on Costa. While the volume goes to Vettori, the effective damage goes to Costa. In my view, therefore, there was no clear winner. If I had to give someone an edge, optics go to Vettori, effectiveness goes to Costa. (10-10 Even)

Round 2:
Again, almost every punch Costa landed was effective, brutal, and in a vital zone. Costa is really doing damage and had the momentum on his side. Fluke eye poke ruins Costa's momentum. As if that wasn't bad enough, Herzog then takes a point away from what was clearly a major Costa round. Costa the clear winner in damage, and momentum, but the point deduction makes this round a wash. (9-9 Even)

Round 3:
Costa appears to be looking for the kill. Again, landing brutal shots in vital zones. Costa's take-down amplifies his initial dominance of the round — and he starts to brutalize Vettori with ground-and-pound. However, a mistake in attempting a submission, while on top, gives Vettori the top position, with Costa remaining on his back for the remainder of the round. However, on his back, Costa completely nullifies everything Vettori is trying to do. Although all officials scored this route for Vettori, to me Vettori didn't really do shit in this round, besides take abuse. He was getting beaten badly, brutally, and was taken down — and then he was only "gifted" a top position where he didn't really do shit with it. On damage and initial momentum, a clear Costa round. Even from the top position, Vettori did not dominate. (10-9 Costa)

Round 4:
To me, this was Vettori's best round. Costa, although, again, throwing a few brutal shots, backed-up too much and did too little. He still landed, by far, the harder shots, but Vettori's pressure and volume, and Costa's lack of activity, made this the only clear winning round for Vettori. (9-10 Vettori)

Round 5:
Costa opened up with a devastating right cross in the first second of the fight, and continued to punish and brutalize Vettori throughout the round. Vettori desperately going for takedowns, trying to clinch, while Costa brutalizes Vettori's head, face, and body. Vettori's punches have no effect on Costa. Costa is starting to really break Vettori down. Marvin Vettori is left with trying to smother Costa against the fence, because he doesn't want to take any more abuse, and knows he cannot hurt Paulo Costa. Had the fight continued, Paulo Costa would've finished him. (10-9, Costa)

SCORE: 48-47, Paulo Costa
You are on drugs dude.
Also the fact that you are giving 10-10 is hilarious. You realizez judges almost never give rounds a draw right? I mean it might happen once a year or something lol.

Re-watch the fight this time without crack, meth, or whatever you were on upon rewatch this time.

Side note, every single media outlet had Vettori winning handily.

Costa kept getting his head snapped back and continually lost footing due to Vetorri's 'weak' punches.

He also wore sunglasses to the presser because he was much more damaged.

Can anyone remember other fights where the 1st eye poke got deducted a point?

It's one of those damage vs volume fights that people discuss until they're blue in the face. If the fight week drama didn't happen, we would see more people scoring this fight to Costa.
The scoring was not biased...Every judge scored it the same, all media scored it the same, and the majority of people on here saw it the same. Costa simply was not active enough to win. Costa was rocked a few times as well and his face was pretty beat up. Marvin was rocked with the head kick and then the body shots in the 5th. Other than that he kept walking through.

Back