Re-Watched Costa vs. Vettori (sober)

Vettori won rounds 1 3 and 4

You're wrong, sorry, try again next time!

A for effort!

The UFC and broadcast flat out LIED about the strike numbers.

Blatantly LIED.

I also have never seen a point taken on a first accidental poke.

They did everything they could to ensure Costa lost.

Costa won the fight and lost due to politics.

The UFC and broadcast flat out LIED about the strike numbers.

Blatantly LIED.

I also have never seen a point taken on a first accidental poke.

They did everything they could to ensure Costa lost.

Costa won the fight and lost due to politics.
Do you have any proof to back up your hysterical argument? Or are you just salty?

Post em if you got em. Your hero lost.

Vettori's strikes were landing cleaner because they were clear head strikes whereas Costa's were mostly or partially blocked kicks. Vettori wasn't even marked up on his body.

I think it was pretty easy to score it:

1 - Vettori
2 - Costa
3- Vettori
4- Vettori
5 - Costa (most lopsided round, but not a 10-8)

Overall it was fairly even if you weigh round 5 more and overlook the deducted point, but Vettori won the fight with the scoring criteria. And, even if you score round 5 10-8 (using Pride style criteria), Vettori still wins with the deducted point.

Also keep in mind that Costa was 12 pounds heavier. So, even if it was close, Vettori would be the rightful winner.

Don't brother TS. People were already upset about him missing weight. They're not going to admit Costa win regardless of what you say.

I had him winning slightly too. Or already a draw at worst.

Costa was more than 12lbs heavier. Dana was basing it off Costa’s water cut (7 kilos). Costa himself said he was 225lb. This makes sense any of you that cut before know before the dehydration you don’t eat much. So his food likely would put him 225-230lb with his hydration.

Your whole fight analysis reeks of bias. It's very clear you wanted one fighter to win, and saw the whole fight from that perspective.

Converted to what?? It doesn’t quite work that way fella.

What I think that the OP means is that you have to do the math for his completely scientific assessment that Costa's punches were 2-3 times more impactful than Vettori's, so you have to multiply his punches landed by 2 or 3 and it'll be very clear that Costa completely dominated Vettori because science...

I love when people watch a fighter eat a flurry of flush, accurate head strikes and posture afterwards that they actually get fooled into thinking that they were insignificant.

Yes, Costa absolutely landing harder per strike on average than Marvin. But the rate at which Marvin was outstriking him -- to the head, no less -- more than made up for that.

You're conveniently forgetting other criteria like octagon control, which determines rounds when the strike numbers are close. Vetorri was marching Costa down for most of the fight (would have to go back and watch to confirm the rounds), and Costa didn't look in control until the fifth round. Vetorri was also showing some decent defense, which helped avoid some of Costas basic attack at times, while opening up counter opportunities for himself.

Vetorri's win is even more deserved after that blatant eyepoke. DC might rake and pray, but Costa aims and fires:

Shameful. Let's not forget Costa was feeling the pressure in this exchange and was looking to regain his breath.

Edit: Bonus

Herzog 100% had money on Vettori, just like with Moreno in the first fight vs Figgy.

3 week old accounts shouldn't be able to make threads.

Doesn't make sense to do it by belt color when you can just spam posts for a few weeks straight.

Costa agreed to fight at 186.5 pounds, but he broke his word and walked in the cage at 220 pounds. Vettori dieted down per their agreement, he worked hard and planned to make atleast 186.5 pound the whole camp. Meanwhile, Costa did not give AF and realized that Vettori would have to fight him, at whatever weight Costa showed up at, and if he did not he would have had tp eat his camp costs and be the bad guy for not making the main event work.

So, this is all to say, even tho I think Marvin clearly won, I am fine with Costa flat out being robbed here. They should have taken a point for every 5 pounds that he missed weight by IMO. 20% purse deduction for missing by a whole weight class is simply not fair in this game where one loss can men you lose your job, or worse yet, get brain damage or killed.

COSTA vs. VETTORI

The punch stats the announcers kept quoting, meaning volume and "significant strikes," are very misleading. There's no question Vettori landed more punches, but to say that Vettori landed more "significant strikes" than Costa is a flat out lie. I don't care what the punch stats state: Paulo Costa's punches had at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches. I mean Ray Charles could see this. So here's how I scored it:

Round 1:
Vettori more active, Costa more effective. Almost every punch Costa landed was brutal, and targeted to a vital zone. By contrast, almost every punch Vettori landed was more "annoying and disrupting," without any real debilitating effect on Costa. While the volume goes to Vettori, the effective damage goes to Costa. In my view, therefore, there was no clear winner. If I had to give someone an edge, optics go to Vettori, effectiveness goes to Costa. (10-10 Even)

Round 2:
Again, almost every punch Costa landed was effective, brutal, and in a vital zone. Costa is really doing damage and had the momentum on his side. Fluke eye poke ruins Costa's momentum. As if that wasn't bad enough, Herzog then takes a point away from what was clearly a major Costa round. Costa the clear winner in damage, and momentum, but the point deduction makes this round a wash. (9-9 Even)

Round 3:
Costa appears to be looking for the kill. Again, landing brutal shots in vital zones. Costa's take-down amplifies his initial dominance of the round — and he starts to brutalize Vettori with ground-and-pound. However, a mistake in attempting a submission, while on top, gives Vettori the top position, with Costa remaining on his back for the remainder of the round. However, on his back, Costa completely nullifies everything Vettori is trying to do. Although all officials scored this route for Vettori, to me Vettori didn't really do shit in this round, besides take abuse. He was getting beaten badly, brutally, and was taken down — and then he was only "gifted" a top position where he didn't really do shit with it. On damage and initial momentum, a clear Costa round. Even from the top position, Vettori did not dominate. (10-9 Costa)

Round 4:
To me, this was Vettori's best round. Costa, although, again, throwing a few brutal shots, backed-up too much and did too little. He still landed, by far, the harder shots, but Vettori's pressure and volume, and Costa's lack of activity, made this the only clear winning round for Vettori. (9-10 Vettori)

Round 5:
Costa opened up with a devastating right cross in the first second of the fight, and continued to punish and brutalize Vettori throughout the round. Vettori desperately going for takedowns, trying to clinch, while Costa brutalizes Vettori's head, face, and body. Vettori's punches have no effect on Costa. Costa is starting to really break Vettori down. Marvin Vettori is left with trying to smother Costa against the fence, because he doesn't want to take any more abuse, and knows he cannot hurt Paulo Costa. Had the fight continued, Paulo Costa would've finished him. (10-9, Costa)

SCORE: 48-47, Paulo Costa

No. Nobody hire this guy as a judge, or a math teacher with his estimate of Costa hitting 2 to 3 times harder. Costa was no doubt hitting harder, but by the point Costa had ripped at least 20 kicks to vettoris body, there was barely even a mark to show for it.

I think I had it 1, 3, 5 Costa so a draw? Could be wrong about 1st round, maybe I gave him the 2nd

3 week old accounts shouldn't be able to make threads.

Doesn't make sense to do it by belt color when you can just spam posts for a few weeks straight.

I've hardly started any threads. Three to be exact.

I gave my reasoning, and I'm not trying to spam.

Back