Re-thinking the SLDL

Espo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For some reason this has been the only lift that tortures my back. After thinking about I was wondering if there is even any relevance to the lift especially for a bjj/mma practicioner.
I do regular and sumo deadlift, good mornings etc. so is there any reason to do SLDL?

Espo said:
For some reason this has been the only lift that tortures my back. After thinking about I was wondering if there is even any relevance to the lift especially for a bjj/mma practicioner.
I do regular and sumo deadlift, good mornings etc. so is there any reason to do SLDL?
Well, its a great ham,glute and lowerback workout........

I think it's better to just get overall strength, rather than worry whether specific exercises will help with strength for specific activities. Saying that, it's not like I have any experience with this.

I'm just trying to make myself generally strong through a powerlifting routine (2 days a week) which includes SLDL. I'll learn to apply my strength to BJJ when I'm training BJJ, not in the gym.

I think if you're already doing both types of deadlifts (sumor an conventional) and goodmoinings that the SLDL would be uneccessary.

RDL's tend to be a better exercise for many people, for one thing they are terrific at strengthening the glutes and hams which is often where the weakness is, not the lower back. Also, the back is in a static position throughout the lift, similar to how it should be during a conventional deadlift. Although the arch of the lower back is supposed to be exagerated for the performance of the RDL.

i agree, try romanians, they do basically the same thing but seem to work better for me.

Yeah thanks, I think I am definately going to switch to RDL's. It's the damndest thing, I don't have a problem with any other lift. At first I thought I may possibly be losing some flexibility in the lower back, but I highly doubt it. I go to parallel for Gm's and I am somewhat flexible from all of the bjj/mma so I don't think it's a flexibility issue. One of my points though is that SLDL just seems unnatural to me. Noone in their right mind would pick something heavy from the ground in that position. Thanks for the replies. Oh and it's the Squats that provide me with buns of steel, just for the record.

Even doing less than 50% of my deadlift max on RDL's and my hams/glutes are ridiculously sore for like 5 or 6 days.

Carnal- what do you think is better for stengthening the glutes/hams? RDL's or GHR's? I can't do complete GHR's- I have to push off at the bottom to get back up.

My main concern is getting better at locking out deadlifts.

Overall? the RDL by far is going to do more to strengthen your deadlift lockout.

The GHR is really just a better version of the leg curl, and is usually done for higher reps.

Are you talking about doing GHR's on an actual GHR, or off the floor?

I do them on a lat pull down machine with my ankles under the knee rest things.

To be honest, if I were limited to that variation, I would cut them out of my routine and replace them with pullthroughs or even leg curls.

I just found out Matt Furey thinks deadlifts destroy people's backs. I'd read some of this guy's stuff before but he just lost all credibility with me.

BTW, Carnal, I'm looking for an experienced powerlifters perspective; what is your "Bible" of training?

Oh, and my boss has got me doing DB SLDL's right now. It's the only exercise I don't like because I swear to God I don't feel shit. The back extensions w/twist (no weight added) are way more hardcore.

CarnalSalvation said:
To be honest, if I were limited to that variation, I would cut them out of my routine and replace them with pullthroughs or even leg curls.
I was wondering. Does anybody else have problems performing pull-throughs with decent weight?

For one, it's hard to pile up enough weight on the stack. Secondly, I need to stand at an almost 45 degree angle at lockout to avoid getting pulled back.

It's an awesome exercise, though. I think it's great for hamstring and glute flexibility too if you extend your knees a bit.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I was wondering. Does anybody else have problems performing pull-throughs with decent weight?
My nuts get in the way.

I don't do them because the rack I have with the pulley system isn't bolted down or anything, so I yank the bitch around when I try.

I could use some bands, but I feel weird using bands to do exercises.

From a pure powerlifting perspective there is no "bible". My method is 1 day for each of the powerlifts (heavy) with up to two assistance days for pressing, and I do abs/grip on my days off. A typical deadlift workout would look something like this:
Deadlift up to heavy/max 1-3 rep set
RDL 3-4X3-5
BB Rows 4X3-5
Shrugs 4-6X3-6

Fairly low volume on most things, high intensity, long rest periods (especially on the "main" lift).

I've used teh same basic template of workouts for years now.

i tried researching rdl's because my back still aches from fridays sldl's. can someone point out the differences between the lifts for me?

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/RL.htm

The picture is not a good example IMO because the lifters back is flat, not arched, and I don't advise doing them off a platform.

Basicly, like a GM with the bar in your hands. Unrack the bar, walk a step back, make sure your feet are even and your back is tight, push your butt backwards while maintaining the lower back arch, and lower the bar bar continuing to push the butt back until your hams feel a good stretch, then contract your ass/hams/hips and push them forward.

The Key differences:
The back is arched, not flat or rounded
The movement should be almost all butt back/butt foward (at least in how it "looks") and less of a "pull"
The movement is started from lockout, not off the floor

I've also found the "snatch grip" variation of this lift to be fun too, as it hits the upper back harder and increases the ROM of the pull somewhat.

I advise taking some time to work with light weights to get the form down if you've never done it before

Back