Re-thinking the SLDL

It can be your form. However, there are many other variations to work the posterior chain. Pull-throughs, Glute ham raises, good mornings and reverse hypers are excellent choices.

CarnalSalvation said:
To be honest, if I were limited to that variation, I would cut them out of my routine and replace them with pullthroughs or even leg curls.

How come?

CarnalSalvation said:
I don't do them because the rack I have with the pulley system isn't bolted down or anything, so I yank the bitch around when I try.

I could use some bands, but I feel weird using bands to do exercises.

From a pure powerlifting perspective there is no "bible". My method is 1 day for each of the powerlifts (heavy) with up to two assistance days for pressing, and I do abs/grip on my days off. A typical deadlift workout would look something like this:
Deadlift up to heavy/max 1-3 rep set
RDL 3-4X3-5
BB Rows 4X3-5
Shrugs 4-6X3-6

Fairly low volume on most things, high intensity, long rest periods (especially on the "main" lift).

I've used teh same basic template of workouts for years now.

Okay. I know powerlifting has many competing schools of thought (Westside, for example), but I figured there would be a "bible" training reference for whichever school you prefer. It looks like you think more outside the box- like you pick and choose for yourself.

Do you know any powerlifters who cycle through their exercises one set at a time? Considering the loads, this strikes me as dangerous, but I was wondering if any did that, since it would up the rest between sets of the same exercise that much more.

I just go with the oldest powerlifting plan there is: lift heavy using basic exercises, and I sprinkle in whatever I come across that I find useful.

The powerlifting way to get more rest between sets is just to rest longer. I'll rest 15-30 minutes sometimes before a max set, no shit.

I"m not sure if the powerlifted guy noticed this or not... but homeboy said he's doing his stiff leg deadlifts off the floor. Unless you're crazy flexible you'd have to bend your lower back in order to do that, and you shouldn't ever round it off under load. That's probably why you feel so awful doing them. Just put the bar on the pins, load it, lift it off, and go down only as far as you can without rounding your back. You're stiff-legging it to isolate the hamstrings somewhat, so if you can't go down anyfarther just on hamstrings, you don't need to go down any farther.

I weigh 300+lbs, and I can do SLDL's off the floor with a flat back. I'm not what you'd call super flexible.

I have to round if I'm standing on a 3" platform, but that's another storry.

CarnalSalvation said:
I weigh 300+lbs, and I can do SLDL's off the floor with a flat back. I'm not what you'd call super flexible.

I have to round if I'm standing on a 3" platform, but that's another storry.

Nah, I'd call that super flexible. :p My standards aren't so high, but that could very well be this guys problem, no?

I generally figure if my big fat ass can do it, so can anybody else on here, if it regards flexibility.

A loaded bar is 8" off the ground. If you can't bend over and grab something 8" off the ground without rounding your back, I'd call that inflexible to a problematic level.

CarnalSalvation said:
I generally figure if my big fat ass can do it, so can anybody else on here, if it regards flexibility.

A loaded bar is 8" off the ground. If you can't bend over and grab something 8" off the ground without rounding your back, I'd call that inflexible to a problematic level.

Agreed. This is a mixed martial arts forum, for Christ's sake.

I do my SLDL's off a 2-4 inch box and I don't 'think' I round. I've lifted 1.75 times BW doing that, and my backs fine

CarnalSalvation said:

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

:dunno: My hams are really tight and I'm only now starting to work on my flexibility. I keep my back in a really tight arch too. Anyway, my point isn't that one HAS to do it wrong to be picking it up off the floor, but this guy was complaining about his back... so he's probably curving his back to pick it up off the ground.

HOW ABOUT SOME Of DEZ MUFFAFUCKIN' NUTS BEEEYOTCH FOR STEALIN' MY PERSONA?!?!?

CarnalSalvation said:
HOW ABOUT SOME Of DEZ MUFFAFUCKIN' NUTS BEEEYOTCH FOR STEALIN' MY PERSONA?!?!?

Just walk away.

Give me the guzzoline and I'll grant you safe passage across the wastes.

There's been too much pain, too much suffering.

I AM ThE LORD HUMUNGOUS! I AM THE MASTER BLASTER! I AM THE KING OF ALL THINGS POST APOCALYPTIC AND HOMOEROTIC.

Back