RDA vs Mgregor styles

fight4ippon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know we haven't had enough threads about this matchup already.

Who do you think will push forward the most and be most aggressive of the two?

It looks like both fighters are great at putting pressure on opponents and rarely if ever backing up.

Who do you see throwing the first attacks? Who will be more aggressive? How do you see it playing out in general?

If RDA is smart, he'll close the distance and try to get into a clinch with Conor. Turning it into a grappling match..

RDA will be the aggressor until he tastes Conors left hand then he hopefully will switch gears and work his ground game if he has any hope of winning. But if his ego gets in the way and he thinks he can stand with Conor he might be waking up to the lights and referee standing over him.

They will meet in the center full speed ahead and after a couple of exchanges RDA will take Conor down and then proceed to paint that pretty beard pink. It's gonna be ugly. Pink Beard Night ftw!

I see RDA pushing forward and Conor countering.

RDA may not push ahead in the first round. I believe his strategy is to avoid the boxing range, hurt Conor with low leg kicks from the outside and look for reactive takedowns as Conor pressures. When he has Conor damaged he will start to pressure in. This may backfire. Conor will be happy to lead and counter the leg kicks with straight lefts.

RDA may not push ahead in the first round. I believe his strategy is to avoid the boxing range, hurt Conor with low leg kicks from the outside and look for reactive takedowns as Conor pressures. When he has Conor damaged he will start to pressure in. This may backfire. Conor will be happy to lead and counter the leg kicks with straight lefts.

This is pretty much how I also see it. Though in the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of the fight I'm quite sure we'll see Conor looking to counter exclusively and end the fight like he did with Aldo, attempting to bait RDA into boxing range. Both guys can pressure very well and effectively lead but on the counter Conor's even more dangerous than he is when leading. You can't just stand in front of Conor, you can't blitz in without potentially eating Conor's left hand and you can't just allow him to pressure and set his high pace because he'll just tee off on you and put your back to the cage and then keep you there.

If RDA is smart, he'll close the distance and try to get into a clinch with Conor. Turning it into a grappling match..

Pretty much this. RDA needs to turn this into an ugly grind it out grappling match. I will say though that RDA got the better of Showtime on the feet in their fight and at the time Showtime was heralded as one of if not the best striker so who knows if it stands on the feet maybe RDA with his pressure style can cause Conor some issues.

They will meet in the center full speed ahead and after a couple of exchanges RDA will take Conor down and then proceed to paint that pretty beard pink. It's gonna be ugly. Pink Beard Night ftw!
haha pink beard I love it.

Wow I can see this happen. I love the analytical minds on sherdog.

Firas has broken it down the best and any rational person (regardless of who you want to win) would agree with his analysis:

Conor loves to counter, but he's also great when he presses forward. RDA absolutely cannot show any timidity and must force a grappling exchange. If he let's Conor establish his range and set the pace, it will not end well. RDA has the grappling and strength to hold onto Conor, so he needs to use it. I'm tired of the haters pretending Conor is a worse striker than RDA. It is objectively and verifiably false.

RDA is a high level BJJ black belt & sub artist.

If he has ANY fight IQ, he smothers McG and takes this to the ground.

If he does this, he violates him.

If he tries to prove a point that he can stand & bang, it's another highlight reel of McG laying someone out comatose.

This is basically how I see it going .. a very ugly and bloody fight.

Back