Raw PL meet equipment

Wendler recommends sprints. However, he acknowledges that it has an adverse affect on your strength training. Other powerlifters recommend GPP which is basically cardio with a strength aspect, like car pushing, sled pushing, prowler, etc.

I compete USAPL often, just an FYI 10mm is not the maximum thickness of a legal belt...its 13mm. 10cm is the maximum width of the belt.

I like my prowler for conditioning work. I will also do a fair amount of cardio when dropping weight for a comp (from 195 to about 181 usually)

Hey I have another question as long as the conditioning theme is in play here. Do any powerlifters do any cardio with their training? I do none right now. Would there be a benefit to adding some? All I'm thinking right now is lift, eat, rest. Should I be throwing in "elliptical?"

I do all kinds of stuff: hill sprints, track sprints, prowler, sled dragging, Crossfit-type metcon, long walks with a weighted vest, elliptical machine, etc. As long as you keep the volume reasonable, the impact on your strength is going to be minimal or nonexistent. But you'll gain huge advantages in health and work capacity, which should eventually help you to get stronger. And it will help to keep your body composition favorable if that's something you struggle with.

Thank you rckvl and Blenderate - it may have been easier on me if you had said to just stay on the couch on my off days, but I will now add some low-impact cardio to my routine. Lazy days are over, I guess.

Heh, it is nice to be lazy sometimes!

The only other thing I would suggest is just going at it easy, at least early on. I don't know how old the guys are that suggested these particular cardio ideas, but age can be a factor. Genetics can be too, this is especially true for me. If I overdo the cardio, my lifts can suffer a little. Other guys can do way more than I can and still lift strong. I work out with a guy that is 50 and lifts with a little over a 2200lb total. He doesn't do much cardio at all. Again, everyone varies, but make sure to keep your strength up for the meet. That is the number 1 concern.

Good luck!

Fast edit: I really like walking myself. Feels good and isn't too hard on you.

Back