Raw PL meet equipment

When I lift heavy, I usually use an Inzer and it works pretty well and knee sleeves from Rehband are pretty much the standard.

Since we have a lot of different sizes at my gym, we use the normal kind but if you're going to be the only one using it, you might consider getting a lever belt so you can really cinch it tight and make it easy on yourself.

There isn't too many places to get Rehband knee sleeves here in the US but the Jackals Gym website I know is pretty reliable. For the fit, I like to have my comfortably tight. I wear a large and I am around 6' and 220 lbs.

I like the inzer lever belt, but it is the only one i've used. Elite FTS sells a super heavy knee sleeve that acts almost like a wrap. I don't know if it's neoprene though, you could ask them.

Almost all of the folks here who compete lift raw or raw + wraps. If you're interested in keeping it simple why worry about anything but a belt? (And a singlet and socks--which isn't equipment as much as the required uniform.) And if you're not comfortable with a belt, there's no reason you need one to compete. This past weekend I saw a guy competing fully raw, no belt, in a single ply fed and putting in some solid lifts. Things like Rehbands and wrist wraps are nice but not a necessity if you're doing fine without them. The nice thing about powerlifting is that you can keep it pretty damn simple if you want to.

I like the inzer lever belt, but it is the only one i've used. Elite FTS sells a super heavy knee sleeve that acts almost like a wrap. I don't know if it's neoprene though, you could ask them.

Definitely not neoprene and not legal in raw divisions. It's extremely stiff and tight with more-or-less the same material as a wrap. It will add pounds to your lift.

Thanks again Jake - that probably puts me at a medium. I will check out the Jackals Gym site now.

Not a problem man. I don't have much experience with powerlifting as a sport so I don't have too much information regarding singlets. The Inzer website should have anything you might need for powerlifting.

I don't use wrist wraps but a former Olympian that puts on seminars for us brought down some wraps that felt great and had great protection. I don't know what the brand of them are but I saw some like them on the Risto Sports website.

Good luck in your training.

Definitely not neoprene and not legal in raw divisions. It's extremely stiff and tight with more-or-less the same material as a wrap. It will add pounds to your lift.
That answers that then lol.

I like what you're saying and I am comfortable without supportive equipment. That said, I want to give myself every advantage and protection possible. If you truly think a guy without a belt/knee sleeves, etc. is as competitive as a guy in nothing, point taken. But if they would help me win, or to keep from being injured once I get out beyond my existing PR's, I'll want to have them.

Fair enough. It just sounded like you had a predisposition toward simplicity in your earlier post.

That being said, other than a belt (which will be a great investment) and chalk (which to me is a given) I wouldn't stress all that much about the other stuff. Wrist wraps are nice, but it also depends a lot on how your bench and squat are going. If you have solid wrists and it's not a problem, they aren't going to make you lift more weight. I like my Rehbands but they aren't going to put weight on your lifts (which is after all, why they're allowed in a raw comp). They're mostly there for extra warmth and compression.

My wrists have never bothered me, so I might be fine skipping any wrist support. I tore my medial meniscus in my right knee a few years ago and had it repaired. My knee isn't quite perfect, but has held up so far in four months of training, but then I haven't done much heavy stuff yet either.

I think the knee wraps and the belt for sure, the singlet is required so I need that, and I don't know if I'll bother with special shoes. I saw guys lifting in Chucks at the meet this year, and I'm comfortable in them. I have Under Armour knee-length socks I could wear for the DL, but maybe there's something better, I don't know.

If you want a good investment along with your belt, good lifting shoes are a worthwhile choice. chucks are good for pulling. I also got a pair of do-wins to squat in and I love them.

Good luck with the meet.

Whatever equipment you get, practice lifting with it often before the meet.

I do most deads and squats without a belt, and when I wear one it forces me to change my set-up. In particular, I have to be more conscientious about how and when I breathe and how much time I spend getting into position for the lift.

If you don't use chalk for deadlifts you're holding yourself back.

You dont have any gear yet you want to break the american squat record? what are your numbers and is this your first meet?

Anywho here is some websites:

EliteFTS:
Elite Fitness Systems

INZER:
INZER ADVANCE DESIGNS

Rehband 7mm Knee Sleeves:
Jackal's Gym - Store

Ild go with an inzer belt 10mm but 13mm is nice to.

Edit: Get yourself some chalk and use it even when your training it will help your grip alot, also buy some baby powder for the meet to put on your legs for deadlift it will help the bar slide up your legs.

konstantin_deadlift_430.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used knee sleeves, but I do use wraps. I use some Inzer stuff, and I think I saw that they sell legal knee sleeves now. I know they are ok for the USAPL, but double check other organizations.

That being said, check out the Inzer website and see what you think. I would get them as tight as possible. There is a sizing chart on the bottom to help. I would personally get them, even for heavy gym lifts it is a good idea to support yourself a little. I don't think knee sleeves have lots of carryover, like some of the other gear, but it will add a great level of safety.

Take care.

Back