Rather Interesting Article

B3rserk3R

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Generally I think Chris Shugart is a little off his rocker and reminds me A LOT of Ben Stiller's character in Dodgeball, but his article today is a really interesting step by step approach to "making yourself a slave to good habits" as Dan John would say.

It's especially cool in light of an article/discussion posted in the grappling section yesturday here.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely interesting.

I'm stage 3. It's a daily struggle. I guess I'll have to work on that.

I think it's more of a case by case basis. I was definately Stage 2 forever when it came to pull ups, single leg work, and core work forever. Partially tearing my ACL over the winter woke me up to improving my stability and getting my weight down though. While it has worked, I don't recommend this method.

The real question here is how does the Velocity Diet fit into this.

I'm usually in Stage 3 or 4 for most things, but ocassionally I'll drop back to stage 2.

I am definitely in stage 3. Food is my crutch. I have lost 36 pounds in a little over a year with a modified diet and exercise. Now that I am in MMA I feel the need to drop atleast another 10-15 lbs but I think diet is the only thing holding me back.

Hmmm, interesting article but I've made some impressive improvements at stage 2 working my way to stage 3.

I'd disagree with this part:

The alcoholic doesn't kick booze by rewarding himself with a 12-pack every Saturday. Food addictions work the same way, which is why I now disagree with the idea of all-out cheat meals.

Dude needs to chill the fuck out. Unless you're a top-level competitor it doesn't fucking matter if you have cheetos once a week or not.

Hmmm, interesting article but I've made some impressive improvements at stage 2 working my way to stage 3.

I'd disagree with this part:

Dude needs to chill the fuck out. Unless you're a top-level competitor it doesn't fucking matter if you have cheetos once every couple of hours or not.

Fixed.

The alcoholic doesn't kick booze by rewarding himself with a 12-pack every Saturday. Food addictions work the same way, which is why I now disagree with the idea of all-out cheat meals.

Maybe they should. Recovering alcoholics are some miserable sunsabitches.

I'm not sure where to go with this. I don't really feel that I fit in.

I'm stage 2-3-4.

I eat a lot of good things, but I like to pour cream (38% fat here) all over it and kick back a liter or so of 3.5% fat milk every day which makes people stare at me, but on the other hand, I don't put on any fat, so I don't see the problem.
This also sort of gets me past stage 3 as a lot of the shit on the menu that make chocolate loving women salivate doesn't interest me at all, and the things that I DO want to eat don't seem to be bad for me.

Dunno man... Stage 1 should be insta-ban though.

great post thanks. got me thinking about choices of diet. also my buddy does the "i have a bad knee" so i dont squat excuse. He couldnt quarter squat 145 lbs and he weighs 200. but man he can sure curl alot!.

It's up there with "I run", "I play soccer" etc. as excuses for not squatting. I know a guy who is afraid that he'll get a huge ass if he does.

It's up there with "I run", "I play soccer" etc. as excuses for not squatting. I know a guy who is afraid that he'll get a huge ass if he does.

That one's actually probably valid.

*throws away old pants*

if his ass grows that much faster than everything else, he might want to check his hormones...

Back