• 7 - Good

• 6 - Alright

• 5 - Average

• 4 - Poor

• 3, 2, 1 - Terrible/Bad

• 0 - Worst Movie Ever

• I've Never Seen The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Results are only viewable after voting.
Go for it. He has some quality stuff. Death Wish is one of the most underappreciated movies of the 70s in my opinion. And Death Wish 2 one of the all time underrated sequels.

Hard Times is just a decent movie overall but it's worth it to see Bronson's boxing. He was the only guys back then that could actually throw or dodge a punch.

He did a somewhat low budget version of Jack London's The Sea Wolf as one of his final movies that was pretty decent, with Christopher Reeve and Marc Singer. Nobody saw it...I don't know if it was even officially released. But he was good as the snarly old captain.

The Mechanic was almost a really good movie. Still worth watching but while Bronson was very good, Jan Michael Vincent was in over his depth as an actor at the time. A different secondary lead across from Bronson...I don't know who would have been an option in 1972 - Harvey Keitel, Terence Hill, Richard Chamberlain, Martin Sheen - and it would have been a classic.

Chato's Land.
The Indian Runner.
Once Upon a Time in the West.
The Great Escape.
The Dirty Dozen.

That's probably the main stuff I would recommend.

There's plenty of other just decent stuff like Breakheart Pass or The White Buffalo or Death Wish 3 and 4. The later years got a little embarrassing at times.

Oh yeah I've seen once upon a time in the west too. I knew there was another one. I was going to do an Al Pacino marathon thread next but I'm open to Charles Bronson.

So death wish, hard times, the mechanic, the dirty dozen and chatos land I'll keep in mind and check them out whenever I get around to it. Death wish is a must though.

Oh yeah I've seen once upon a time in the west too. I knew there was another one. I was going to do an Al Pacino marathon thread next but I'm open to Charles Bronson.

So death wish, hard times, the mechanic, the dirty dozen and chatos land I'll keep in mind and check them out whenever I get around to it. Death wish is a must though.

Can't go wrong either way. But nearly everything Pacino did in the 70s is required viewing.

I agree. I've seen Godfather 1 & 2, Serpico and Dog day.

Always wanted to see needle park and justice for all.

The Panic in Needle Park is just decent I would say, but you can tell he is going places.

And Justice For All is the forgotten classic of his resume.

Cruising was 1980 so it's practically the 70s and worth a watch.

He was on such a roll in the 70s that you might expect big things from Bobby Deerfield but don't. It's not awful but expectations were high. Same with Author Author.

And then you're at Scarface, after which it's hit and miss for the next 20 years. And then pretty much miss after miss until the end of time after 2005 or so.

The Panic in Needle Park is just decent I would say, but you can tell he is going places.

And Justice For All is the forgotten classic of his resume.

Cruising was 1980 so it's practically the 70s and worth a watch.

He was on such a roll in the 70s that you might expect big things from Bobby Deerfield but don't. It's not awful but expectations were high. Same with Author Author.

And then you're at Scarface, after which it's hit and miss for the next 20 years. And then pretty much miss after miss until the end of time after 2005 or so.

I would still say he has one of the best filmographies though even with his lackluster later years. But his 70s run was 1 of the best of the decade.

I think I'm going to go with Al for the movie watch but I'll throw some Bronson in there so it doesn't get dull.

I would still say he has one of the best filmographies though even with his lackluster later years. But his 70s run was 1 of the best of the decade.

I think I'm going to go with Al for the movie watch but I'll throw some Bronson in there so it doesn't get dull.

Oh yeah he can go 10 movies to 10 movies with anybody.

He still has a few decent character pieces in his later years like Manglehorn and Phil Spector and You Don't Know Jack. It's just that nobody saw them. And they are sandwiched by a ton of garbage.

Go for it. He has some quality stuff. Death Wish is one of the most underappreciated movies of the 70s in my opinion. And Death Wish 2 one of the all time underrated sequels.

Hard Times is just a decent movie overall but it's worth it to see Bronson's boxing. He was one of the only guys back then that could actually throw or dodge a punch.

He did a somewhat low budget version of Jack London's The Sea Wolf as one of his final movies that was pretty decent, with Christopher Reeve and Marc Singer. Nobody saw it...I don't know if it was even officially released. But he was good as the snarly old captain.

The Mechanic was almost a really good movie. Still worth watching but while Bronson was very good, Jan Michael Vincent was in over his depth as an actor at the time. A different secondary lead across from Bronson...I don't know who would have been an option in 1972 - Harvey Keitel, Terence Hill, Richard Chamberlain, Martin Sheen - and it would have been a classic.

Chato's Land.
The Indian Runner.
Once Upon a Time in the West.
The Great Escape.
The Dirty Dozen.

That's probably the main stuff I would recommend.

There's plenty of other just decent stuff like Breakheart Pass or The White Buffalo or Death Wish 3 and 4. The later years got a little embarrassing at times.

The Mechanic is good as well.

Oh yeah he can go 10 movies to 10 movies with anybody.

He still has a few decent character pieces in his later years like Manglehorn and Phil Spector and You Don't Know Jack. It's just that nobody saw them. And they are sandwiched by a ton of garbage.

I saw Phil Spector and didn't really care for it. I saw You don't know Jack too and it was alright. I think his best place now is in small roles or co star. Sort of like in Once upon a time in Hollywood.

I saw Phil Spector and didn't really care for it. I saw You don't know Jack too and it was alright. I think his best place now is in small roles or co star. Sort of like in Once upon a time in Hollywood.

I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wasn't even a character for him. I don't even really count it on his resume. You could have had a CGI character be on the other end of the phone for 90 seconds. The Bruce Dern character was how you contribute to a movie in a couple minutes.

In otherwords...I'm not sure if I agree. If it's two minutes of nothing in a big movie...it doesn't mean anything to me. If it's a full character portrayed in an okay movie like Manglehorn, that probably counts for more with me. It was nice that he got something to chew on and actually gave a crap in The Irishman. But I don't see a lot more of those kinds of projects headed his way in the future.

I kind of would like to see him doing stuff like Peter O'Toole in Venus or Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story. Go out with a bang with some old man roles that provide an opportunity to really do something, but those don't grow on trees either.

The alternative is meaningful supporting old man roles like Richard Harris (Gladiator, Man in the Iron Mask, Harry Potter) or Max Von Sydow did...but Pacino doesn't seem to do these for whatever reason. He is usually either the star, the villain, or has a meaningless 45 second appearance.

Back