• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the following attributes/skills of Jones

All 9 or 10

except:

striking - 7
bjj - 7
power - 4

Edit - But that was prime Jones. For the Jones that fought Santos and Reyes, strength and wrestling are only 7

Last edited:
From a scale of 1-10, with 1 being absolutely horrible. 5 being okay and 10 being the elite pinnacle seen in the sport. Feel free to add some other attributes/skills etc that I have missed relevant to fighting

Fight IQ
Strength
Wrestling
BJJ/Grappling/submissions
Striking
Cardio
Mental toughness
Power
Chin

JONES_JON_L_12-29.png

N/A BJJ isn't used very often

Fight IQ 10
Strength 6
Wrestling 8
BJJ/Grappling/submissions 7
Striking 7
Cardio 9
Mental toughness 9
Power 5
Chin 10

From a scale of 1-10, with 1 being absolutely horrible. 5 being okay and 10 being the elite pinnacle seen in the sport. Feel free to add some other attributes/skills etc that I have missed relevant to fighting

Fight IQ
Strength
Wrestling
Striking
Cardio
Mental toughness
Power
Chin

JONES_JON_L_12-29.png
Fight IQ......10
Strength.....9 before USADA, 7 after USADA
Wrestling.....9.5 before USADA, 6.5 after USADA
BJJ, Grappling, Submission,.....7 (haven't seen much of that part of his game)
Striking.....8
Cardio.....10
Mental Toughness.....10
Power........5
Chin.........10

Fight IQ 10
Strength (9 for LHW, 7 for HW)
Wrestling 9
BJJ/Grappling/submissions 9.5
Striking 7
Cardio 9
Mental toughness 10
Power 7
Chin 9

This was prime Jones btw. Anything other than Mental toughness and Fight IQ is possibly 1-2 levels lower currently

Are we talking about 2012 Jones, or 2020 Jones?

Because these are two EXTREMELY different sets of ratings.

Fight IQ 10
Strength 08
Wrestling 10
BJJ/Grappling/submissions 09
Striking 09
Cardio 10
Mental toughness 10
Power 07
Chin 10

I'm astounded at people giving him a 10 in BJJ/grappling/submissions when wrestling is already there, as if he's a BJJ ace like Maia or Werdum.

Prime Jones was positionally very sound on the ground. You don't have to submit people to have solid BJJ. If anything I'm surprised people rate his wrestling higher than grappling, he got taken down multiple times by Gustafsson in his prime

Fight IQ - 10
Strength - 10 (Jon Jones is the strongest fighter on the UFC roster back when he was a LHW with a >600lbs Deadlift)
Wrestling - 10
BJJ/Grappling/submissions - 8
Striking - 9 (I'm assuming this means Punches AND Kicks, Knees, Elbows which is why I'm giving him a 9. His Boxing I'd give a 6).
Cardio - 9
Mental toughness - 10
Power - 6
Chin - 9 (I almost want to give him a 10 because while it's rare he gets tagged with bombs they did happen every now and then. He ate a fucking carpet bomb of punches in that Reyes fight and didn't buckle so his chin has to be up there with the best).

Prime Jones was positionally very sound on the ground. You don't have to submit people to have solid BJJ. If anything I'm surprised people rate his wrestling higher than grappling, he got taken down multiple times by Gustafsson in his prime

Wait, you think wrestling is only takedowns and TDD? Wrestling is positioning as well. Jones' style on the ground was far more wrestling than BJJ.

Perhaps the problem is with the OP putting "grappling" with BJJ/subs. Wrestling is grappling too.

Fight IQ - 8. I wanted to put this higher, but I honestly think his triumph in close split decisions somewhat skews the perception of this. He arguably lost fights to people worse than him. He clearly knows what he's doing in there and fights smart, but he's left some too close to comfort for me when he didn't have to to give him a 9 or 10. might be wrong on this one though. I think a lot of what seems to be his fight IQ is more accurately his instincts, much more evident in his younger days, which I'd rate a 9 or 10.

Strength (this one is weight class dependent) - 7, but higher at LHW maybe a 9 . Clearly manhandled a bunch of people expertly using leverage. Need to see how he uses it at HW to rate him higher here, as he won't have as large a leverage advantage due to his length.

Wrestling - 8. Used to be higher, but some of his entries for takedowns in recent fights have been terrible and choreographed with no setup. Still super high though.

Submission grappling - 7. More opportunistic than highly technical, but still incredibly effective. Defensively hasn't been tested much.

Striking - 8. Really great clinch work and distance management with one or two exploitable holes. Used to be higher when he was more creative.

Cardio - 9. Somehow despite the snow and boozing and lack of training he always competes hard to the bitter end.

Mental toughness - 10. To me this is probably his greatest attribute. Never gives up, always pushes for the win. Not tapping to that armbar from Belfort proves it. How that must have hurt.

Power - 5. Usually wins through accumulation of strikes, and I think he doesn't throw everything into his strikes as he tries to be more tactical. Might be higher at HW. Seemed to have more power when he went balls to the wall when he was younger.

Chin - 9.5. Has been hurt badly once against I think Evans, but otherwise has always been able to seem relatively unfazed by shots, even in his few wars.

A bunch of his ratings used to higher, specifically wrestling and strength because of the weight class change. I wish I could separate out fighting instincts from fight IQ.

Fight IQ: 8 - It's good but he's also played into his opponents' strength in the past instead of taking the obvious way to victory. Also had some very close decisions were maybe could've adapted better.

Strength: (10) - Strong as hell at LHW. Unknown at HW.

Wrestling: 9 - Used to be a straight 10 but has definitely looked less impressive in his last fights.

Submission grappling: 7 - Not really seen too much of it unless his opponent was already hurt or broken.

Striking: 8 - Higher during his prime but seems he gave up on some of the creativity, also less impressive against opponents of similar size.

Cardio: 9 - Not the craziest pace but always finished strong in grueling 5 round fights.

Mental toughness: 10 - Never quits, really turns it up at the end of difficult fights.

Power: 6 - Nasty elbows and was the first to crack DC's chin, usually breaks people down over time instead of few big shots though.

Chin: 9 - Hasn't eaten that many big shots, but when he did it didn't seem to bother him much.

Fight IQ - 10
Strength - 8
Wrestling - 10
Striking - 8
Cardio - 9
Mental toughness - 10
Power - 5
Chin - 10

I am talking about prime coke Jones.

Fight IQ: 9,5/10
Strength: 8,5/10
Wrestling: 8/10
BJJ/Grappling/submissions: 8/10
Striking: 9/10
Cardio: 9/10
Mental toughness: 10/10
Power: 6/10
Chin: 10/10

Current Gane
Fight IQ: 7/10 (low grappling iq and can't take back the momentum when losing)
Strength: 7,5/10
Wrestling: 6,5/10
BJJ/Grappling/submissions: 6,5/10
Striking: 8.5/10
Cardio: 8/10
Mental toughness: 7/10
Power: 7/10
Chin:7/10

This was prime Jones btw. Anything other than Mental toughness and Fight IQ is possibly 1-2 levels lower currently
I would argue fight iq is a bit lower because he's less versatile (because of his physical deterioration).

In his last few fight he only tried to 5 round out strike people and most attempt at wrestling and mixing it up did not work or they only worked when he was confortably winning alreaddy.

He might know that it's more wise to wrestle or to counter strike hard in some match up but he can't do it anymore.

Fight IQ
Strength
Wrestling
Striking
Cardio
Mental toughness
Power
Chin

JONES_JON_L_12-29.png
Yo, let me rate Jon Jones' skills and attributes from 1 to 10, with 1 being straight trash, 5 being average, and 10 being on top of the game. And I'mma throw in some other things you might wanna know about fighting too.

Fight IQ: 9. This dude is a tactician in the Octagon. He's got a brain for the game, and he knows how to use it to his advantage.

Strength: 8. Jones has got some serious power. He's not just strong for a fighter; he's strong, period.

Wrestling: 9.5. Jon Jones' wrestling is on point. He knows how to take down his opponents and keep them on the ground.

BJJ/Grappling/Submissions: 8. Jones is good on the ground, but he's not a submission wizard. He's got some solid grappling skills though.

Striking: 9.5. Jones' striking is something else. His reach and accuracy make him a dangerous opponent for anyone in the division.

Cardio: 9. This dude can go the distance. He's got the stamina to keep up the pace in a long fight.

Mental Toughness: 10. Jones has been through some stuff outside the Octagon, but he's always come back stronger. He's got the mental fortitude to handle anything that comes his way.

Power: 9. Jones has some serious knockout power. His strikes can end a fight in an instant.

Chin: 9. Jones can take a hit. He's proven that he can absorb some serious shots and keep going.

So there you have it, folks. Jon Jones is a beast with some of the highest ratings across the board.

Fight IQ - 9.5
Strength - 7
Wrestling - 9
Striking - 8
Cardio - 7.5
Mental toughness - 2
Power - 7
Chin - 8.5

Fight IQ - 9
Strength - 8.5
Wrestling - 9
Striking - 8.5
Cardio - 8.5
Mental toughness - 9
Power - 6.5
Chin - 9

In other news, the best stats you could give to a fighter. MMA GOAT, like it or not.

Fight IQ - 10
Strength - 9
Wrestling - as of now 7, but before 9
BJJ/Grappling/submissions - 9 because of the g&p, not because of the bjj/sub
Striking - 8
Cardio - 9
Mental toughness - 10
Power - 7
Chin - 9

Back