Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Unthinkable (2010) 10/10. This movie is a fucking masterpiece. Samuel L Jackson should have won the Oscar for this. I can only imagine it got snubbed because it's so ludicrously un-PC. This movie is right up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the best thrillers of the modern era.

Licorice Pizza (USA, 2021)

Rom-com/drama written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It stars Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman. The supporting cast includes a lot of actors who you will recognize including Sean Penn, Tom Waits, and Bradley Cooper.

The plot follows teenager Gary Valentine (Hoffman) and 25 year old Alana Kane (Haim) as they navigate life and love in the Valley in the early 1970's.

Gary is a cocky actor/entrepreneur/hustler/huckster who comes on to the decade older Alana during picture day at his high school. Alana, working as the photographer's assistant, initially dismisses Gary's flirtations but nevertheless joins him for dinner that night. The two go on to become friends, business partners, and, at times,"romantically curious".

Anderson presents SoCal in the 1970's as a place of wonder and opportunity. Gary starts a waterbed business before turning to running a pinball arcade. Alana is often at his side and tries acting herself. Gary does not consider limitations and he brings the audience along for the ride. Anderson is clearly in love with this time and place from his childhood. He creates a beautiful and nostalgic world for this characters to grow up, fall in and out of love, and experience life.

It is a sweet story. The plot often (usually) meanders, but this feels like a feature, not a bug. Anderson is in no hurry to get to the end and soon, neither are we.

Rating: 8.5/10

I loved this quirky movie. It has a very real feel to it. None of the leads are particularly attractive, and the feel and look of the era really hits.

10/10 legendary movie about grafitti culture when and where it was born in NYC in the 70s.

Good look into a very particular and unique subculture that may still exist, it def was on a completley different level at the time this was filmed.

Decided to rewatch the omen trilogy and then watch the other 3 finishing with First Omen.

What I like most about The Omen is how well it sneaks into an adventure film, even though the film is mostly horror. It is creepy and fun at the same time. Gregory Peck is great and the scary scenes still hold up very well.

To be honest I think I was most surprised at how well Damien: Omen 2 held up. The actor who plays him as a teen (Jonathon Scott Taylor) does a really good job, especially in one scene in which I wonder how many takes were needed to get it right.

While in Omen 1 he was pretty much just a creepy kid, in Damien he is pretty much the protagonist...and goes through a pretty interesting internal struggle to figure out who he is and his destiny.

I was actually kinda surprised. Any other Omen 2 fans here?.

The Final Conflict (omen 3) was pretty much exactly how I remember it. Sam Niell is great as adult Damien and the film is a pretty campy fun threequel but the ending isnt great and feels very anticlimactic especially if you consider the story unfolding as a trilogy.

Omen 4 is where I start with the films I haven't seen yet. It was pretty bad but also kinda dumb fun. I didnt hate it in that regard.

The Omen 2006 remake wasnt bad, since it is pretty much the exact movie as the 76 original. It is just hard for Shrieber and co to compete with the likes of Gregory Peck. I also dont think the 2000s visual style for horror captured the creepiness of the story the same way. I thought it was a solid remake by most standards though.

Finally is First Omen. I have to say that there are plenty of things I really liked about this one, like a lot of good, creepy mood building. It felt like the attempt was to take what Ari Aster does with his creepification of paganism and apply it to Catholicism. I thought those aspects worked fairly well inbetween the jump horror stuff in which they used way more than they needed.

On the negative I really didnt like a certain retcon that was made, if you saw the movie you know. They did stuff with it to not make it feel like such a useless change, but for me it kind of ruins the effect of a scene from the original and it just plain bothered me

Overall it was a fun marathon to get into the mood for October.

Last edited:
Decided to rewatch the omen trilogy and then watch the other 3 finishing with First Omen.

What I like most about The Omen is how well it sneaks into an adventure film, even though the film is mostly horror. It is creepy and fun at the same time. Gregory Peck is great and the scary scenes still hold up very well.

To be honest I think I was most surprised at how well Damien: Omen 2 held up. The actor who plays him as a teen (Jonathon Scott Taylor) does a really good job, especially in one scene in which I wonder how many takes were needed to get it right.

While in Omen 1 he was pretty much just a creepy kid, in Damien he is pretty much the protagonist...and goes through a pretty interesting internal struggle to figure out who he is and his destiny.

I was actually kinda surprised. Any other Omen 2 fans here?.

The Final Conflict (omen 3) was pretty much exactly how I remember it. Sam Niell is great as adult Damien and the film is a pretty campy fun threequel but the ending isnt great and feels very anticlimactic especially if you consider the story unfolding as a trilogy.

Omen 4 is where I start with the films I haven't seen yet. It was pretty bad but also kinda dumb fun. I didnt hate it in that regard.

The Omen 2006 remake wasnt bad, since it is pretty much the exact movie as the 76 original. It is just hard for Shrieber and co to compete with the likes of Gregory Peck. I also dont think the 2000s visual style for horror captured the creepiness of the story the same way. I thought it was a solid remake by most standards though.

Finally is First Omen. I have to say that there are plenty of things I really liked about this one, like a lot of good, creepy mood building. It felt like the attempt was to take what Ari Aster does with his creepification of paganism and apply it to Catholicism. I thought those aspects worked fairly well inbetween the jump horror stuff in which they used way more than they needed.

On the negative I really didnt like a certain retcon that was made, if you saw the movie you know. They did stuff with it to not make it feel like such a useless change, but for me it kind of ruins the affect of a scene from the original and it just plain bothered me

Overall it was a fun marathon to get into the mood for October.
The first one is fuckin great.

I should watch the sequels, esp considering Sam Neil is in the third one

Tetsuo: The Iron Man showed up on one of my streaming services and accidentally autoplayed for a few seconds.

I have cancelled that streamer. I just got back from the ocean where I dumped the tv, just to be safe. On my way to the airport tomorrow morning to move to Tibet.

Been rewatching the first three Pirates Of The Caribbean movies over the last few days, and I know the common opinion is "the first one is the best" but I don't detect much of a drop-off in quality in comparison to most sequels in a series.

In fact, I consider them to be almost equal quality.

And its astounding how great the CGI work is for 2003, 2006, & 2007 movies. They put everything else of that era to shame, and MOST of todays CGI examples.
Very surprising when you compare todays computer technology to the computers of that era.
(Compare Grand Theft Auto 3 to Cyberpunk2077)

Dragonlord’s Review of JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Despite another stellar performance by Joaquin Phoenix, some beautiful cinematography and imagery, Joker: Folie a Deux bombs due to the thin plot with little to no payoff and a quasi-musical experiment that felt flat and intrusive.

zUrXNg5.jpeg

Joker (2019) was originally planned as a standalone movie with no sequels. After the film became a smash hit, reaching $1 billion worldwide, Warner Bros. offered a ton of money to writer-director Todd Phillips and star Joaquin Phoenix to come back. Unfortunately, Phillips didn’t really have a good vision for the sequel. He only had concepts of a plan.

One of the major problems with Joker: Folie a Deux was that it felt like Phillips didn’t really have a good story to tell for the sequel. The first Joker movie was modeled for the most part after Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, which meant the story had a template to fall back on. It had a beginning, middle and a clear ending. This Joker sequel had no template to follow. It’s similar to how the first Wonder Woman movie (2017) adapted George Perez’s 1987 seminal comic book run on the character as well as taking inspirations from the 2009 animated movie and Captain America: The First Avenger. But when the filmmakers were given free rein for Wonder Woman 1984 with no established story to copy, the result was a disaster.

Set two years after the first film, Joker: Folie a Deux starts off with Arthur Fleck wallowing in Arkham State Hospital. He gets a spark in his life when he meets Harleen “Lee” Quinzel (Lady Gaga), an obsessed fan of the Joker, and the two form a romantic relationship. Arthur finds a new way to express himself through singing and fantasizing musical scenarios to convey his emotions. But his newfound happiness might be short-lived as Arthur goes to trial facing the death penalty.

Phoenix once again gives a magnificent performance. His physical and emotional transformation of the character is just astounding. The film is a character study of Arthur Fleck and dives further into his psyche, which at times felt derivative especially at the trial scenes since a lot of the aspects were already tackled in the first film.

Lady Gaga’s acting was good and her singing was even better but she was not properly utilized as her version of Harley Quinn lacked a little depth and a few scenes to flesh out the character. There are a few set photos and footage of Harley that were in promotions that didn’t make the final cut of the film, suggesting Harley had a lot more scenes.

The rest of the supporting cast was solid which included Brendan Gleeson as an abusive guard at Arkham, Catherine Keener as Arthur’s lawyer, Steve Coogan as a TV journalist and Leigh Gill as Arthur’s former co-worker. The one cast that really didn’t work was Harry Lawtey as Harvey Dent. They chose an actor that looked very young to play Dent in an attempt to align his age with the young Bruce Wayne in case there’s more sequels to this Elseworld universe.

I have a suspicion that Todd Phillips didn’t like that Arthur Fleck was inadvertently glamorized and idolized in real life. It feels like Phillips made the sequel to tear down the character, to humanize him further without sensationalizing it, to show the harsh consequences of his actions. I’ll post more in the spoiler box below on why it felt like Arthur Fleck was intentionally knocked down several pegs. I didn’t like the ending which I will also address in the spoiler box.

Another problem with the film is the musical aspect. I understand it’s a way for Arthur to express himself and to show his fantasies in a musical format but it just didn’t work in so many ways. At first, the singing was tolerable but it just would incessantly pop up all throughout the film that it became annoying. I don’t mind musicals but Folie a Deux’s musical are not original songs and just covers that aren't even well done despite Gaga’s fantastic vocals. These musical moments also disrupt the flow of the film and the film would have been better if they took them out.

Lee tells Arthur at one point in the film, “Let’s give the people what they want.” If only Todd Phillips applied this to his script as well.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 5.5/10

Expounding on my opinion that writer-director Todd Phillips intentionally dismantled Arthur Fleck. He is rejected by Lee at the end, mirroring real life situations where sometimes spurned people grow to hate the opposite sex or society in general. Arthur goes back to Arkham and unceremoniously shivved to death. He doesn’t even get to exact retribution on his Arkham tormenters, which I didn’t mind though as it avoided the standard revenge trope.

As for the ending where Arthur’s killer uses a blade to carve his own mouth, similar to Heath Ledger’s Joker, I don’t like it because it devalues Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker as some sort Joker beta version. I’m fine with Phoenix’s Joker not being the notorious clown prince of crime since this is a different universe. But the filmmakers (and studio?) are trying so hard to force the stereotypical Joker into this Elseworld universe and thereby potentially setting up a Batman-Joker thing in the far future. This reminds me of the Gotham TV series where they introduce their version of Joker, only to be revealed later on that this is not THE Joker and is just a precursor to the real Joker in the future. It feels cheap.

Been rewatching the first three Pirates Of The Caribbean movies over the last few days, and I know the common opinion is "the first one is the best" but I don't detect much of a drop-off in quality in comparison to most sequels in a series.

In fact, I consider them to be almost equal quality.

And its astounding how great the CGI work is for 2003, 2006, & 2007 movies. They put everything else of that era to shame, and MOST of todays CGI examples.
Very surprising when you compare todays computer technology to the computers of that era.
(Compare Grand Theft Auto 3 to Cyberpunk2077)

Pirates is a very solid trilogy. I rewatched it myself not long ago.

Back