• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Blood in Blood out (1993)

-

Another 3 hour epic... I swore off them for a while but when i saw this on Hulu i had to check it out since it comes up a lot in underrated or lesser known movie discussions a lot.

It is basically the mexican version of films like once upon a time in America, Boyz in da hood, etc. 3 friends grow up around crime in their hood and it follows their lives and paths.

It stars Damian Chapa, Jesse Borrego, and Benjamin Bratt as the 3 main friends/characters. Bratt is the brash tough guy, Borrego is the artist, and Chapa is the white boy. You may remember him as Ken from Street fighter. He is half mexican/half white. And the film uses this as a major plot point and plays around with it in interesting ways.

Chapa is the main focus, but all three get a lot of very good character development and all three performances are very good.

The original cut of the film is 5 hours long, and you can kind of tell. 3 hours is obviously enough time to get a bunch of stuff in, but knowing there is an extra 2 hours left out makes you wonder which gaps they fill in. I dont know if that is really a criticism or praise though if it leaves you wanting to know more about the story.

Overall, not perfect but very solid. If you thought you ran out of epic crime films to watch I would say check this out. Like I said it is on Hulu but if you dont have that it is also on youtube.

A few good surprises in the supporting cast if you dont google the cast list beforehand too.

7.5/10 range

The Bricklayer.

Wow, I went in not expecting very much and it didn't even reach those levels. Pretty obvious plot and the action was meh enough to not overcome it.
3/10 and I feel like I'm being generous.

Been a movie day:

Atlas - Decent sci fi flick. Not sure J-Lo was the right lead, but didn't seem too out of place. Probably a 6/10

Anyone But You - Went in just hoping for Sydney Sweeney's boobs and got a really fun and sometimes laugh out loud movie. Solid 8/10.

Heat (USA, 1995)

American crime film written and directed by Michael Mann. It features an incredible cast including Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Ashley Judd, Jon Voight, and Danny Trejo.

Neil McCauley (De Niro) runs a crew of professional thieves who are pulling off complex heists in greater LA.

Vincent Hanna (Pacino) is a LAPD Robbery & Homicide Lieutenant who is trying to take down McCauley's crew.

I love this film so much. It is my favourite heist movie of all time.

Random observations:
  • The film comically ignores LA traffic. After the first heist, Hanna comments about the clever Venice location saying that there are "2 nearby freeways as escape routes". Dude, nobody is escaping anything on the 10 or the 405.
  • The entire Natalie Portman sub-plot could have been removed from the film to streamline the plot and runtime. Her interaction with Hanna does serve to both humanize him and show his limitations as a normal human.
  • Danny Trejo plays a character named Gilbert Trejo. I always figured that Mann just liked the name but, according to Trejo himself, it is based on his uncle Gil who Mann had met during a previous shoot.
  • One of the best parts of the film is that every single minor character is perfectly cast. The entire ensemble is filled with professional character actors.
  • I always laugh that the would be assassin at the money drop is wearing dress shoes. I dunno. If my job was to sneak up and kill somebody I think I would wear running shoes.
  • Career best performance by Tom Sizemore (RIP). Jon Voight is fantastic as well.
  • Was Pacino actually high AF on coke for most of his scenes? I would believe it.
  • I first saw this film at a repository theatre in the late 90's. The DTLA shootout scenes was overwhelming. I remember my heartbeat going crazy. It still gives me chills every time I see it.
Near the end of the film when De Niro goes to murder Waingro at the hotel, the front desk is being manned by an undercover cop (he is definitely a cop because he has a gun behind the counter and he previously spoke directly to Hannah on the phone). The guy is checking in guests! He is putting in the work! Like, is his special skillset that he can go undercover at hotels because he knows how to use standard hotel software to check in guests? Did he do a bunch of training in hospitality management? I want to know!

Rating: 10/10

Last edited:
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

This one started with some promise. With time and age, many of the costumes look overly campy, but the film had some nice pieces in the early going. Bartertown and it's political intrigue was an interesting setting, the Thunderdome, strange as it was, was still entertaining. The short enforcer with the face on a pole to make him look taller and the MasterBlaster duo were interesting in their own right.

Unfortunately, the film takes a very sudden and hard turn right after Max's exile. It turns into something between a poor Indiana Jones knock-off and a Goonies sequel.
Absolutely terrible. FAR worse than I remember from my childhood (maybe it's wiser to NOT look too closely at the past sometimes).

The tone shifted so dramatically and so quickly, I knew something had to have happened with the original Director, and after a little interweb sleuthing, discovered that it in fact had. I also found WB had financed this picture, and insisted Miller keep it family-friendly enough for the PG-13 stamp, which is mind-boggling. What executive saw The Road Warrior and declared; "We've got to get that franchise, and make a movie for Middle Schoolers!!!"?

Anyway, we get a peak at what Miller would have done with the film, and it looked promising, but what we ended with was a real wasteland. Lucky he got a chance to redeem himself with Fury Road all those years later.

The Whale (2022)

I had heard all the hype and seen some stills, as well as happy to see B. Frasier making a return, so I was looking forward to this one and jumped on it when it finally hit the "free" streams (in this case, Paramount).

What an astonishingly terrible piece of crap! I can't believe this is what passes for art in film today. EVERY scene, EVERY role over-acts to the point of absurdity. Everyone who is hurt, is HURT THE WORST ANYONE HAS EVER HURT, everyone who is angry, IS THE ANGRIEST ANYONE HAS EVER BEEN, everyone who is sorry IS OMG SOOOO SORRY I WISH I WAS DEAD!!!!

AND EVERYONE CRIES OR YELLS IN EVERY OTHER SCENE, BECAUSE ... REASONS!!! (sob)

It's awful. The dramatic excess in both script and acting make Days of Our Lives look like Remains of the Day.

All of the above written, I started to view the film as parody of the personality types being portrayed and the views advocated, and actually had some pretty good laughs in the last third. The sheer self-pity and sense of entitlement shared by most of the characters, coupled with the unapologetic selfishness and self-righteousness, played as straight as it is, is actually hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing it again, with the whole film in this light.

I suggest watching it as a drinking game with the sections I capitalized above, but only if you can sleep where you are or have a designated driver.

Last edited:
I was hungover yesterday and decided to do a Sci-Fi night. 1 out of 2 ain't bad:

Dune 2: 7.5/10
I like the world they created here. The subject matter/Plot in the source material is complicated and can be hard to get on screen without it being a mess. There are so many different things going on--multiple "houses", religious orders, complicated names, factions, power struggles, philosophies that things can and do get convoluted at times. But they did a great job with casting, and world building in these remakes. A bit long, pacing can be slow at times. But the overall product is excellent, and it is a great ride. I LOVE how they made the Harkonnen world black and white with a Nazi feel. This film took risks, very creative.

Atlas: 4/10
I think J.Lo is an awful actress unless she is playing who she truly is--A Puerto Rican from the Bronx. When they try to make her a super smart analyst, I am just not buying it. Her accent comes through and her vocabulary isn't convincing. In this role she is more whiny than anything, and the movie fails to develop any other character. Nothing original, we have seen it all before--A.I goes rogue. Mech suits for fighting. Overconfident Military types. Childhood trauma causing a woman to be emotionally shut off, but hey maybe a Robot can bring her out of her shell lol. The S/FX are spotty but at times good. Some cool action scenes. They barely used main villain Simu Liu of Shang Chi fame and gave most of the bad guy scenes to one of his creations. A missed opportunity through poor casting of the lead, and underdeveloped supporting cast.

Foxcatcher (2014)

-

I already knew somewhat of the true story behind it and as for this movie I remember it being promoted mostly for Carrell's performance. Which is really great.

Dupont is a very strange guy, a guy so rich that he has enough money to make his suppressed fantasies and delusions of grandeur come true.

There is a Dracula like nature to him. Especially when Tatum first shows up to the estate, and during the time it is just him there, the movie plays out a bit like a horror or thriller film. It makes an almost gothic use out of the rural Pennsylvania setting and feeling of seclusion.

There is a lot of great tension building, and some very awkward or creepy moments. You can just tell something is off with the whole situation.

As for Tatum, I thought he did a terrific job as Shultz. For a guy who isnt known for acting i think he is a bit underrated. He gives the character the right amount of inner emotional turmoil and displays his enviousness and other flaws very well.

Ruffalo is also great here. Tatum and Carrell get most of the meat in the script but Ruffalo is kind of a balance here that the film needs. A typical professional workmanlike performance from Ruffalo.

it builds to the big climax which I thought was done well with being in tune with the tone of the film up until then.

If I have a complaint, and it is kinda of a big one, it is how things are handled after that. The film doesnt have a certain moment of potential big emotional impact that I'm surprised wasn't there. Instead it ends the on a moment which is interesting but I don't think was needed.

Overall though, I thought it was fairly great. I have to watch the documentary soon to see which liberties were taken but you always have to expect that with films like this.

8/10 range

I was hungover yesterday and decided to do a Sci-Fi night. 1 out of 2 ain't bad:

Dune 2: 7.5/10
I like the world they created here. The subject matter/Plot in the source material is complicated and can be hard to get on screen without it being a mess. There are so many different things going on--multiple "houses", religious orders, complicated names, factions, power struggles, philosophies that things can and do get convoluted at times. But they did a great job with casting, and world building in these remakes. A bit long, pacing can be slow at times. But the overall product is excellent, and it is a great ride. I LOVE how they made the Harkonnen world black and white with a Nazi feel. This film took risks, very creative.

Atlas: 4/10
I think J.Lo is an awful actress unless she is playing who she truly is--A Puerto Rican from the Bronx. When they try to make her a super smart analyst, I am just not buying it. Her accent comes through and her vocabulary isn't convincing. In this role she is more whiny than anything, and the movie fails to develop any other character. Nothing original, we have seen it all before--A.I goes rogue. Mech suits for fighting. Overconfident Military types. Childhood trauma causing a woman to be emotionally shut off, but hey maybe a Robot can bring her out of her shell lol. The S/FX are spotty but at times good. Some cool action scenes. They barely used main villain Simu Liu of Shang Chi fame and gave most of the bad guy scenes to one of his creations. A missed opportunity through poor casting of the lead, and underdeveloped supporting cast.

Oh crap. Dune 2 is on streaming. I guess I have to watch another 3 hour movie now.

Oh crap. Dune 2 is on streaming. I guess I have to watch another 3 hour movie now.

I just re-watched it this weekend. It is (and was) a 10/10 film for me. Masterpiece.

Watching it at home provides less spectacle vs. a movie theatre but it did allow me to focus more on the storyline.

I am a big fan of the books. I remain fascinated by how Villeneuve modified the story to fit the medium. I could quibble here and there but really it is a masterclass in story telling.

I frequently complain on this thread about bloated run times. Dune 2 is 2:40 and it flies by. Villeneuve has said on many occasions that he will never do a Director's Cut because he already has everything in the finished film but if he did put out a 3.5 hour version, I would love it.

I just re-watched it this weekend. It is (and was) a 10/10 film for me. Masterpiece.

Watching it at home provides less spectacle vs. a movie theatre but it did allow me to focus more on the storyline.

I am a big fan of the books. I remain fascinated by how Villeneuve modified the story to fit the medium. I could quibble here and there but really it is a masterclass in story telling.

I frequently complain on this thread about bloated run times. Dune 2 is 2:40 and it flies by. Villeneuve has said on many occasions that he will never do a Director's Cut because he already has everything in the finished film but if he did put out a 3.5 hour version, I would love it.

That's good to hear about the pacing, I thought the first was brilliantly paced aswell.

I will admit to having to pause a few times to get my characters straight, but I enjoy that. I read these back in HS so a lot started to come back to me. This is such a challenge to get right, and Villeneuve hit it out of the park. They are doing a live action show on Max about the sisterhood of Bene Gesserit.

I will admit to having to pause a few times to get my characters straight, but I enjoy that. I read these back in HS so a lot started to come back to me. This is such a challenge to get right, and Villeneuve hit it out of the park. They are doing a live action show on Max about the sisterhood of Bene Gesserit.

I did not feel that I needed a show about the origins of the Bene Gesserit and the production has had more than its fair share of mishaps... and then I saw the trailer and I am once again reminded that HBO knows how to make great stuff (they also made The Idol but nobody is perfect).

Now I am getting excited for the series.

It is a great starting point for them to do Game of Thrones style political intrigue set an expansive universe with lots of cool ideas to explore.

All of the above written, I started to view the film as parody of the personality types being portrayed and the views advocated, and actually had some pretty good laughs in the last third.

I had pretty much the same experience as you. That binge where he ate anything in sight had me dying. It's so pretentious to the point it made me think they were trolling.

Triangle (2009)--7/10
This is a trippy psychological mind-bending horror about a mother who has an Autistic son. She goes on a boat trip with a group of people, and they run into trouble at sea. They board an ocean liner and things get weird. There are time loops, killings, twists and turns. I don't know how I missed this. For fans of stuff like Memento, Dark, Happy Death Day....this is for you. Melissa George is amazing in this. Don't expect things to be clean and perfect plot wise, but it is a fun ride.

Triangle (2009)--7/10
This is a trippy psychological mind-bending horror about a mother who has an Autistic son. She goes on a boat trip with a group of people, and they run into trouble at sea. They board an ocean liner and things get weird. There are time loops, killings, twists and turns. I don't know how I missed this. For fans of stuff like Memento, Dark, Happy Death Day....this is for you. Melissa George is amazing in this. Don't expect things to be clean and perfect plot wise, but it is a fun ride.

If you liked Triangle then Primer and Coherence are two similar films that are pretty good

Furiosa 6/10

Has a few nice touches but fuck prequels. Everything important to her story was in Fury Road. See this tough chick with a chopped off arm - probably been through some stuff. Same thing ever since Darth Vader yada yada yada

Hey let's make a Col. Kurtz prequel so we can see how he got so weird

IP brainrot at heart but does alright within the confines

Baby Driver (2017)​

After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

p13259415_v_h10_ac.jpg

Fun Flick.

6-7/10

<RomeroSalute>

Dune 2 (2024)

-

Just like the first movie, the direction and cinematography are very good, as is the atmosphere. Villeneuve has a way of making his films feel dreamlike (similar to Nolan) without making them overtly stylish, though it definitely doesnt lack any.

I thought the pacing was very good and it doesnt waste any scenes. At the same time though, I had to pause and rewind once because I swore I accidentally skipped over some time. Once you get used to how the film is paced and edited though you just roll with it. And I think it adds to the dreamlike feel of the movie.

The action is very good, several big moments I wish I would've seen in the theater. Did good at continuing the story of the first and continuing on the world building. I'm glad I havent read the books at this point because from what I've heard the 3rd movie might be a bit of a letdown from those who read it. But for me I'm looking forward to it.

My biggest issue with the film is that they really, really shove the whole messiah thing down your throat. Javier Bardem's character is the biggest culprit to the point is starts feeling a bit comical. However he might also be my MVP of the film so it's a bit of a double edge for me.

With this one, like the first and with most 3 part films (star wars, Lotr) i guess it is hard to gauge everything until the entire story is completed. Overall I thought it was a very good part 2 of an epic action/adventure story so far. I was satisfactorily escapismed.

7.8/10 but might move up. I liked the first more the second time i watched it so might be the same with this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back