Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

The Call on Netflix

Korean horror movie about a young woman who returns to her childhood home and discovers that she can communicate with the daughter of the previous inhabitant in past timeline via the house's telephone. An interplay between past and present ensues.

I give it a 7/10.

Fairly interesting plot, though it requires some suspension of logic, as most stories that deal with manipulating the past do. Some decent suspense. One character in particular I found very compelling and well acted.

iu

Story: A group of soldiers is transported into a world full of massive monsters, and the lone survivor has to try to find a way home with the help of the locals. It's pretty cut and dry, really.

Acting: The star of the movie, Jovovich, once again shows she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. STOP CASTING THIS WOMAN. Seriously, pls stahp. He co-stars, however, somehow outdid what is honestly a very not good script. Even Perlman, with his same-in-every-role style, was tolerable. None of it was GOOD, but it was still better than the movie itself.

FX/Cinematography: The special effects were actually pretty good, I was impressed. The monsters looked great, the scenery was excellent, the backrounds were well done. To me, the special effects were the highlights of the movie. Teh camera work was also decent enough, and the action scenes were all done and easy to follow.

Final Thoughts: 2/5. This... was not a good movie. Some nice special effects and actions scenes do not a good movie make. The story was bland, the acting was almost across the board mediocre, and the few gags they tried to accomplish fell flat. I know what they were going for, but they completely missed in my opinion and the movie suffers because of it. Which is a shame, as the MH universe is chock full of great lore they could have used and there are so many better main stars they could have cast. Way to completely drop the ball on this one guys.

Massive fan of monster movies but this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Absolutely shocking.

Justice League (2021)
I'm not a big fan of superhero shit so I had no vested interest in this, it was long winded and pretty boring for the most part. I quite liked Cyborg as a character, but apart from that I just couldn't be arsed with it. The villains were poor as well, nothing to them. Just didn't enjoy it, to be honest, bog standard movie.
5/10

The Great Wall - 8/10. Like it alot.

Anyone moaning about the political side of it can fuck off.

A Sun

I understand that foreign film isn't everyone's cup of tea but I urge anyone who wanted to watch something interesting and different from Hollywood but done well, give this movie a shot. It is on Netflix so accessibility shouldn't be an issue.

I enjoyed how differently each member of the family express themselves. And how unpredictable the movie is.

8.5/10 for me.

Last movie I watched I fell asleep to, joke’s on you.

I’m thinking Jason 2

MV5BNTQ2OGU1OTgtYmVhYi00MGIxLTg4MzQtYWFlZjIxYTViOTc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1MTg4Mzc@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I gave it a 6/10 it's a fun one to watch with the wife.

iu

STORY: A man is forced to relive the last day of his life over and over again, squaring off against a team of ruthless assassins while trying to figure out how and why this is happening to him. Pretty cut and dry, although him talking to the audience a lot through third person thoughts is a neat feature.

ACTING: Ya know, everyone in this movie was decent. Not great, not awful, just decent. Nobody really stood out to me as the best of the bunch, but nobody really brought it down. It was pretty even across the board, which is amazing since Gibson usually does something to steal the spotlight even when he isn't the main star. I will say that the asain comedian in the movie is obnoxious, but he is always like that so I haven't come to expect anything of value from him ever.

FX/CINEMATOGRPAHY: It's a well enough shot movie, that there isn't to much to say here. Nothing was over the top spectacular, although a few of this main characters deaths were really well done effects wise. But the choreography was great during a sword fight scene, I will give it that. Although there was one scene in a stairwell where every shot left a red smoke in the air, and that bothered me a lot. Its a minor nitpick, but I noticed it almost immediately so it's a glaring minor nitpick.

FINAL THOUGHTS: 3/5 Is this a GREAT movie? No. But it's not bad either. The opening sequence is actually really fun, and as your progress through his attempts there a lot of fun moments mixed in with all the blah. The story has been done a thousand times though, and this one doesn't really bring anything new to the table to make it stand out. Which is a shame, there was some real potential here to do something interesting but it seems the writers were just afraid to take that step. But overall, I'd say its worth it just to see all the fun ways he dies and the way he kills his enemies. BUt it's not something I would ever go out of my way to watch again either.

three days of the condor

i watched this after watching the show which was great and the movie was a bit of a letdown. wasnt very exciting for a thriller and was confusing and hard to follow, and the romance angle was dumb. ending was anticlimatic as well 6/10

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
Really enjoyed it, did everything required of a monster movie. Kong was awesome, stole the show, the fights were great. I didn't particularly dig the 'hollow earth' stuff to be honest, it didn't really hook me in. Mechagodzilla was fantastic, in fact I wish we'd seen more of him and he'd appeared earlier in the movie, I felt he was underused. I'm unsure where the franchise goes from here, though - my mate reckons the next movie will be Mecha-Ghidorah which to be honest, doesn't do anything for me. But I'd still watch, of course.
8/10

Red Dot (2021)

Swedish thriller about a married couple who go to a remote part of the country for a getaway / hike / camping trip and get hunted down by a pair of redneck psychos. It's a tried and tested formula that's been done a million times, but I liked it, the setting was cool and felt very 'cold'.
7/10

Sidekicks (1992) - Starring Jonathan Brandis, Beau Bridges, Julia Nickson, Joe Piscopo, Mako (as Mr. Lee) and Chuck Norris (as himself). The movie encompasses the boyhood dream of fighting alongside your favorite martial arts hero. A memorable performance was of course from Norris with the real celebrity appearance at the team karate tournament during the last quarter of the movie. The other memorable performance came from the Frying Dragon's Mr. Lee and his comical introduction of "Mr. Dumpling" to the rest of the world. At the end of the movie Norris and Piscopo duke it out in a singles bout. The final challenge of the team tournament was brick-breaking between Brandis and the high school bully. IMO a nicer touch would have been for Brandis and the bully in a singles bout instead of brick-breaking. 6.5/10
RIP Jonathan Brandis
RIP Mako

2970f771cf9bcb1625a8478ef80eb865.jpg

SideKicksEpImage2.jpg

Last edited:
City of God (2002)

I'm giving this a high mark for so many reasons. The biggest being I can't really imagine the coordination and logistics or perhaps just the ingenuity it took to make. It's brilliant in many ways and I highly recommend it.

9.5/10

(I tend to only give 10s to horror films and Goodfellas)

City of God (2002)

I'm giving this a high mark for so many reasons. The biggest being I can't really imagine the coordination and logistics or perhaps just the ingenuity it took to make. It's brilliant in many ways and I highly recommend it.

9.5/10

(I tend to only give 10s to horror films and Goodfellas)
i should watch this again, been years

Blood Father

7/10

Mel Gibson and Erin Moriarty

i was trying to find something on Netflix to watch and this movie caught my eye. It's pretty good with a lot of action and a decent cast. Mel Gibson plays the father and Erin Moriarty is his daughter. Lots of shooting and killing as they're trying to avoid a gang and drug king pin.

Blood Father

7/10

Mel Gibson and Erin Moriarty

i was trying to find something on Netflix to watch and this movie caught my eye. It's pretty good with a lot of action and a decent cast. Mel Gibson plays the father and Erin Moriarty is his daughter. Lots of shooting and killing as they're trying to avoid a gang and drug king pin.

good movie, mel gibsons movies since getting cancelled from hollywood have been pretty good imo

Not much to choose from these days, but the last one we saw was called "Minari". It was decent for a subtitle hybrid but the ending kind of sucked. Overall pretty good. 7 out of 10.

<Fedor23>

Not much to choose from these days, but the last one we saw was called "Minari". It was decent for a subtitle hybrid but the ending kind of sucked. Overall pretty good. 7 out of 10.

<Fedor23>

Didn’t see it yet. Only Oscar contender I’ve watched this year is Nomadland. I thought it was great though and give it a recommendation. It’s a pretty sad movie but sad in a nuanced, quiet way that really builds and lingers with you. For a movie that’s not really explicitly about death and dying, it sure has a lot to say about those elements.

<Fedor23>

Loved it.

Was also a bit disappointed with the ending.

Back