• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

The Old Oak

Syrian refugees look to find a home in a struggling mining town in the north of England. They are not wanted there but the owner of the local pub, the last public space in a town mired in unemployment, connects with one of the refugees.

I really liked the story and while the subject matter is a bit heavy, it's surprisingly optimistic. I was a bit disappointed with the production value in particular the acting, which was not good. All of the dialogue was stiff and awkward, very unnatural.

This could have been really good but didn't quite get there for me. That said, while there was quite a bit of hostility and racism in the film, it was also idealistic and hopeful, so I'm glad I saw it.

001.png

Don Hertzfeldt's "It's Such A Beautiful Day" is one of the most innovative animations I've ever seen. Forget about how the story is simple and heartfelt, everyone has a Bill they know. Everytime I watch it I'm usually crying without even knowing it. 10/10 from me, a must watch.

tumblr_ngp7p3IC3c1sksdxao8_500.gif

nighthawks (1981)

-

Good movie. Has that dirty city atmosphere you dont see much anymore. Simple, fast paced crime noir story. Stallone and Billy Dee Williams make a good team. Rutger Hauer makes for a good villain. Spinelli. Ending was great.

7/10 range

Last edited:
nighthawks (1981)

-

Good movie. Has that dirty city atmosphere of you dont see much anymore. Simple, fast paced crime noir story. Stallone and Billy Dee Williams make a good team. Rutger Hauer makes for a good villain. Spinelli. Ending was great.

7/10 range

Yeah it feels like it could exist in the same universe as Cruising, Taxi Driver, Night of the Juggler, Rocky 1 and 2...

Yeah it feels like it could exist in the same universe as Cruising, Taxi Driver, Night of the Juggler, Rocky 1 and 2...

Yeah I think midnight cowboy sort of has that sort of thing going on too. Somewhat of king of comedy aswell.

Maybe Rocky 3 too, if only for the scene with drunk paulie walking around and then smashing the pinball machine.

Maybe Saturday night fever has that feel too.

Yeah I think midnight cowboy sort of has that sort of thing going on too. Somewhat of king of comedy aswell.

Maybe Rocky 3 too, if only for the scene with drunk paulie walking around and then smashing the pinball machine.

Maybe Saturday night fever has that feel too.

Rocky 3...maybe that early Paulie stuff and then Apollo's old school gym with the leaking water pipes.

Even pretty light comedies like Night Shift ended up in Joe Spinell's nightclub for a scene or two.

Across 110th Street, The Gambler, Born to Win, Uncle Joe Shannon... A lot of stuff passes through the urban Spinelloverse and/or Burt Young-o-verse. Way more if you count TV guest starring spots... Baretta, Night Heat, Serpico.

Rocky 3...maybe that early Paulie stuff and then Apollo's old school gym with the leaking water pipes.

Even pretty light comedies like Night Shift ended up in Joe Spinell's nightclub for a scene or two.

Across 110th Street, The Gambler, Born to Win, Uncle Joe Shannon... A lot of stuff passes through the urban Spinelloverse and/or Burt Young-o-verse. Way more if you count TV guest starring spots... Baretta, Night Heat, Serpico.

Oh yeah serpico for sure. Maybe marathon man and dog day too.

Oh yeah serpico for sure. Maybe marathon man and dog day too.

It was the Serpico TV show that he was on (kind of forgotten now like the Logan's Run TV show). Some of those old series like that and Baretta and Streets of San Francisco and Kojak had a somewhat similar feel.

Last edited:

Spinell and Schiavelli were absolutely clutch in Night Shift. Were in it for like a total of four minutes between them and yet they really contributed to it. They contributed very much to the general seediness.

Spinell and Schiavelli were absolutely clutch in Night Shift. Were in it for like a total of four minutes between them and yet they really contributed to it. They contributed very much to the general seediness.

Yeah both of those guys knew how to pack twenty minutes of character into a minute of screen time.

It was the Serpico TV show that he was on (kind of forgotten now like the Logan's Run TV show). Some of those old series like that and Baretta and Streets of San Francisco and Kojak had a somewhat similar feel.

Weird how any of those shows automatically makes me think of this one, which is COMPLETELY forgotten.

Scrapper

A little girl's mother has died and left her all alone, living in her London flat and managing by herself stealing bikes and selling them for food money.

Her young thug father re-appears, having run from the responsibility but knowing he's all she has in the world. Babies having babies is the lightly touched on theme.

Lola Campbell is fantastic as Georgie (her only role to date) and Harris Dickinson is really good as Jason, her father. It's a very simple film but it pushed all my buttons and I can still feel it in my chest. It's one of those, YMMV although I can't imagine anyone else watching this.

Scrapper-poster-for-web 1000.gif

Freelance.

Cena had a few good lines in it, but overall, it was pretty lackluster. The chemistry between Cena and Brie just wasn't there, and the plot was pretty flimsy.

3.5ish on a scale from 1 to 10.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

I saw this in the theater. But, with all the hubbub about the Amazon show, my tween daughter wanted to watch it with me today. Fun popcorn flick. Only issue she had was "You would think their bosses would have vetted the people they were going to marry."

Only complaint from me was a lack of screen time for Keith David.

More entertaining than the reboot that's not really a reboot/10

Fast Charlie

Pierce Brosnan as a seventy year old fixer out for revenge.

Pretty boring, exactly what you'd expect from this kind of movie, but I had to see James Caan's last role. Makes me sad to see him go, as an old man he's always going to be Joe Samo from Way of the Gun to me.

Brosnan was pretty spry for his age but I'm almost as tired of ancient action heroes as I am of ancient presidents. One stunt in particular was beyond ridiculous. Morena Baccarin was fine, can't believe she's 44.

I guess if you like this kind of film it's pretty good.

001.jpg

Freelance.

Cena had a few good lines in it, but overall, it was pretty lackluster. The chemistry between Cena and Brie just wasn't there, and the plot was pretty flimsy.

3.5ish on a scale from 1 to 10.

Cena is really hit or miss, for me he's mostly miss.

Suicide Squad kind of won me over a bit, the Peacemaker show was fantastic. I don't think I've liked him in anything else.

Back