• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Incidentally I had seen the Substitute 3 at some point about 20ish years ago and it was a straight to video piece of shit. I suppose I should’ve suspected the first one might’ve also been a turd but I think I was operating under the assumption that like Death Wish, it was just a case of sequels having a HUGE drop off in quality (eg Death Wish 5).

However, the one thing the Substitute 3 did have going for it was Claudia Christian dressing slutty for several scenes and I had a bit of a thing for her from her Babylon 5 days as Commander Ivanova.

NEFARIOUS (2023)

Sean Patrick Flanery gives one of the best performances of the year in another movie which, like Rumble Through the Dark, isn't the type to get any serious awards attention even for acting in isolation. This would be unwatchable if Flanery wasn't able to turn an entire movie of him sitting in a chair into something compelling by the way he breaks down conversations into beats and momentum shifts and putting spin on individual lines and so on. He is required to one hundred percent sell a pretty high degree of difficulty role and he does it. Had he fallen significantly short in any area...the whole movie tanks and becomes a cringefest. But he's up to the task.

The movie as a whole... Decent. Does a guy on death row have multiple personality disorder or is he actually a demon?

Movie loses probably half a point for a shitty denouement that the film could and should have just left on the cutting room floor. Worth a watch just for Flanery.

6.6 / 10.

Last edited:
The Last Airbender live action movie 6 out of 10

Never watched the cartoon, so no idea if live action movie closely followed the cartoon. Wasn't crap, but felt incomplete since they said the character is trying to master the four bendings and didn't do it within the movie.

Blue Beetle
-

My biggest thought after watching it is that it feels very safe, basic, and derivative. It was like the writers took a bunch of ideas they knew worked in other films and just copied and pasted them here.

It also seems like DC saw the love the Iron Spider costume got from fans, said "hey we have a character kinda like that", and went into production. The comparison to iron man is hard to ignore, as is The comparison to spiderman. There is also a symbiotic element similar to Venom or Upgrade.

The family dynamic is okay but feels very much like the movie is forcing you to like these characters instead of it happening naturally.

The biggest issue is that there really isnt enough Blue Beetle in full on mode...when there is, it becomes pretty fun and the character/suit actually has a lot of cool features, but there isnt enough time spent on it.

Overall....watchable, pretty good score, but I never felt like this film became it's own thing and instead just reminded me of better films. But it didnt bore me to tears so I'll be a bit generous.

6/10 range.

The Deer hunter
-

Finally revisited this one.

It is definitely a moving and impactful movie. Also beautifully shot especially everything in the mountains when they are actually deer hunting. Very kind of landscape and picturesque moreso than photographic.

I did kind of forget how sluggish it can feel. To the point I'm wondering if I overreacted to the pacing of Apocalypse now a bit. The wedding scene goes on forever, and there are plenty of other scenes that are so mundane it can feel like a chore.

On one hand the film does a smart thing of not overly explaining every situation and leaving things open for interpretation a bit. But on the other sort of lingers on uninteresting things forever.

But listen I get it and I do like the way the film uses those mundane, day to day type moments to enhance the contrast with the bigger, more impactful ones. There is a relatability to it all, even the wedding scene does feel like a real wedding, or at least a memory of a wedding you went to.

So for whatever the pacing and mundane scenes a lot of them do progress the development or at least rapport between the characters. Which later makes how everything ended up feel a bit more impactful and kinda fucking depressing.

Mvp is Walken obviously but Deniro is right there.

So overall, I think the film is great, has great direction and cinematography and performances, thought provoking and impactful moments. But really needed to have another trim and can test the patience a bit.

8/10 range

Resident Evil Death Island 6.5/10
Realistic CGI animation, with really amazing movement and action sequences. But plot was lacking as it is in most RE stuff. Cheesy but fun. I watched the last miniseries and have to say they are worth a watch. Remove a point if you are not familiar with the franchise, add one if you are a huge fan.

Thanksgiving 6.5/10

Saw this today and thought it was solid. So happy to see Eli Roth doing over the top horror again, this is his best since Hostel imo. There were some cons for sure, the main cast of high school kids were annoying as hell and I did find it hard to root for anyone. Also, it oddly felt like a lot was cut, there were characters that were introduced but then much didn’t come from them. However, that opening Black Friday scene, and the majority of the kills were excellent! Very fun movie overall, not the best slasher ever but mostly it’s just awesome to have a new original big budget slasher, and it delivered imo.
Going to see this weds. Right up my alley.

SET IT OFF (1996)

The women's answer to 1990s crime movies like Dead Presidents, Juice, Menace II Society, etc. Jada Pinkett, Queen Latifah, Vivica Fox etc. are bank robbers.

Kind of like Dead Presidents I guess but... Put a chick in it and make her lame and gay!

1700542680053.png

The first half hour is pretty good. It builds up their plight and reasons for going into crime and a bit of character development and so on...

And then once things get rolling they act stupid and annoying for most of the rest of the movie until I wanted them to get caught or shot or whatever. The acting wasn't bad but the characters kind of overstayed their welcome by the halfway point of the movie. And so does the movie itself.

5.4 / 10.

It's not outright bad...but Juice, Menace, Dead Prez, etc. Those movies are all substantially better.

Last edited:
Shang-Chi and the 10 Rings

For whatever reason I never watched this movie, although I figured it was right down my alley. Overall, I really liked it. The fight choreography was great. The acting was pretty good. The color and overall cinematography was nice. This was a cool sort of origin story without feeling like an origin story. I was not familiar with this character at all other than reading that he was an elite h2h combatant - and he definitely was. I know this movie is a few years old but I can see why it’s regarded as one of the better Marvel movies post Thanos-snap era.

8/10 - would watch again

Rambo First Blood

You can't help feel bad for Rambo after the shit town sheriff decided to target him, bully him and get his deputy goons to mistreat him when Rambo didn't break any laws.

SUNSHINE (2007)

This one didn't make a huge impression when I first saw it and I began wondering why...a Danny Boyle film with Cillian Murphy. Shouldn't be underwhelming... Murphy is a physicist on a mission with an all star cast to detonate a special bomb in our dying sun to get it restarted and prevent the earth from freezing over.

Was quite good but then went off the rails with a side plot and threat to the mission that wasn't needed and in my opinion should never have been in the movie. Would have been great if it had just been a straight procedural with normal ship engineering problems and moral dilemmas about resources and such. The extra stuff really brought it down to just a pretty good movie. The ship itself also could have used a bit of personality in its design. Every set and every room was fit for purpose in terms of the movie but nobody would remember the ship here like they would in Alien or 2001 etc.

6.4 / 10.

the 3rd act really went off the rails.

La Piscine (France, 1969)

Slow burn psychological thriller set in the south of France.

Jean-Paul and Marianne are a 30ish couple vacationing at a private villa in the French Rivera. They spend their days looking pretty, relaxing by the pool, and having sex.

Harry, an old friend, makes a surprise visit and brings along his impossibly leggy 18 year old daughter Penelope.

A villa filled with 4 hot and horny French people creates a slowly escalating tension. Harry and Marianne are clearly interested in fucking. As are Jean-Paul and the barely legal Penelope.

The tension slowly builds as new jealous are created and old resentments re-surface.

The audience knows that something bad is probably going to happen but the film takes its time getting there. The deliberate pacing is perhaps what I like most about this film. A modern re-make would probably drive the plot much faster and something would be lost along the way.

Ratings 6/10

Dogman (Italy 2018)

Gritty Italian crime drama directed by Matteo Garrone.

Marcello is a diminutive, meek man living in a run down part of Rome. He runs a dog grooming business and seems happy enough with his life. He likes dogs, plays soccer with his friends, and goes scuba diving with his daughter when she visits (she lives with his ex-wife). Marcello is no innocent though; he is a small time drug dealer on the side and is also down for the occasional burglary. We get the impression that this is a pretty normal blurring of boundaries for the men in this particular neighbourhood.

Simone is a local thug and all around violent sociopath. His constant violent outbursts have the neighbourhood men openly discussing having him murdered. Simone seems to enjoy his bullying "friendship" with Matteo. He towers over the tiny dog groomer and is constantly needling Marcello to give him drugs or help him out with his latest criminal schemes. Needless to say, none of this ever works to the benefit of Marcello.

Marcello just wants to get along with everybody but Simone's presence begins to make that increasingly difficult.

The film is beautifully directed by Gorrone but the true stand out is Marcello Fonte as the lead character. It is an absolutely masterful performance. I was blown away by how good he was in this movie. Top shelf acting.

The very ending has a twist that I did not see coming but, after some thought, I think it is perfect for the film.

Rating: 7.5/10

THE KEEP (1983)

Early Michael Mann WW2 supernatural Nazi haunted castle horror with a stellar cast like Ian McKellen, Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn, Robert Prosky, Jurgen Prochnow etc. Movie looks terrific...has that 80s blue hue and foggy atmosphere and all of that but suffers from a near fatal lack of momentum the whole way through the movie. Best scene is the opening with the Tangerine Dream score as the convoy is driving up to the castle to start the movie. From there it all looks quite good but drags its heels most of the way.

5.7 / 10.

Last edited:
Did anyone here watch Winnie the poo blood and honey? I didnt mind it, terrible but fun b movie.

THE KEEP (1983)

Early Michael Mann WW2 supernatural Nazi haunted castle horror with a stellar cast like Ian McKellen, Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn, Robert Prosky, Jurgen Prochnow etc. Movie looks terrific...has that 80s blue hue and foggy atmosphere and all of that but suffers from a near fatal lack of momentum the whole way through the movie. Best scene is the opening with the Tangerine Dream score as the convoy is driving up to the castle to start the movie. From there it all looks quite good but drags its heels most of the way.

5.7 / 10.

I’ve always liked this movie for some reason. I first caught it on TV in 1997 and then rewatched it in 2013. I liked it visually and enjoyed Tangerine Dream’s score. I thought Jurgen Prochnow gave a particularly good performance as the “good Nazi” and liked the contrast of his character to Gabriel Byrne as the “bad Nazi”. And my God, Ian McKellan has always been an old man. He’s like 40-45ish in the movie but looks about 55+ imo, even without the old man makeup he has for the first third of the movie.

For me the movie goes off the rails a bit once Scott Glenn’s character shows up. Then things get weird. But right up to the scene when the monster kills Byrne I enjoy it.

The President's Man 2: A Line in the Sand

In the very beginning of the movie a couple of the scenes are just borrowed from the original. Chuck Norris/Joshua McCord is a distinguished Secret Service Agent entrusted with the security of the President and Dignitaries. Chuck Norris/Joshua McCord is joined by Judson Mills/Deke Slater in tracking down a terrorist who plans on detonating a nuclear device on a U.S. city. I preferred the original movie over the sequel

Back