Rank The Heavies

bostonmma

Gold Belt
Reaction score
It has been a while since we tried to get an official ranking on this site, and what better time to start again than now. We just had a few big heavyweight bouts, and nothing big coming up for a while so post your top ten or top fifteen ranking. Below is fightnews.com's rankings, and yes I'm sure Peter should be moved up, with Maskeav falling a few spots.

1. Wladimir Klitschko
2. Ruslan Chagaev
3. Oleg Maskaev
4. Samuel Peter
5. Nikolai Valuev
6. Tony Thompson
7. Alexander Povetkin
8. Sultan Ibragimov
9. Shannon Briggs
10. Alexander Dimitrenko
11. Vladimir Virchis
12. Juan Carlos Gomez
13. Andrew Golota
14. Chris Arreola
15. Hasim Rahman
16. Calvin Brock

D & R normally comes up with a good commentary for these.

The Chris Arreola thing I don't get, as of yet

Just a quick list with my opinion of the top 15 or so

1. Klitschko
2. Peter
3. Chagaev
4. Valuev
5. Povetkin
6. Thompson
7. Ibragimov
8. Virchis
9. Ruiz
10. Maskaev
11. Gomez
12. Dimitrenko
13. Chambers (originally had Brock here)
14. Arreola
15. Golota
16. Brewster

Thanks Check, I like the list, but i'd switch Ruiz and Thompson, would also take out Brock and put Chambers in his place.

Thanks Check, I like the list, but i'd switch Ruiz and Thompson, would also take out Brock and put Chambers in his place.

Damn, I knew I forgot someone, yeah Chambers should be in there over Brock even if that win wasn't the most inspired from Chambers. I'll edit mine.

Just a quick list with my opinion of the top 15 or so

1. Klitschko
2. Peter
3. Chagaev
4. Valuev
5. Povetkin
6. Thompson
7. Ibragimov
8. Virchis
9. Ruiz
10. Maskaev
11. Gomez
12. Dimitrenko
13. Chambers (originally had Brock here)
14. Arreola
15. Golota
16. Brewster

I think that Chagaev's impressive showing over 12 rounds against Valuev is more credible than any kind of knockout of Maskaev, especially one that followed a poor showing for 6 rounds. Thus 2)Chagaev 3)Peter, until Valuev beats Chag anyway...

1. Wladimir Klitschko- the obvious first choice, but he's a king with threadbare clothing (and chin, ripe for an upset everytime he steps in the ring
2. sam peter-recent activity, and a knockout of a top ten fighter overrides chagaev.
3. Ruslan Chagaev-smart boxer and we've seen what happens to smart boxers against klitschko, if he wants to unify he should try to get peter in the ring, but may not make it past his mandatories coming up
4. nikolai valuev-still a tall order for anyone, love to see him and wlad to see what happens when klitschko can't use his height to lean on people, the guy getting leaned on loses strength faster, and would his power shake the giant?
5. tony thompson-moving his way up, knocking out your opponent on their home ground is impressive
6. alexander povetkin-doesn't strike me as top class yet, but if he's aggressive good things happen.
7.sultan ibragimov- managed to not get ko'd, but if he wants to return to the top he needs to rewatch his fight with whitaker, and become more aggressive.
8. shannon briggs-if he could breathe and throw punches he'd be exciting
9. john ruiz-two back to back questionable losses on enemy turf, then two wins puts him back in the mix (shudders)
10. oleg maskaev-thought he'd get blown away, now the question is does he retire?

Rank the Heavies?!

I don't wanna...
...but here goes:

On a scale of 1 to 10, the top guy is about a 4.5
...and then it descends with many scoring the same low numbers.

One guy is about a 0.5, and that's being generous.

Of course my scale is based on comparisons to other generations of Heavies with Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey coming as close as possible to a 10 (10 is "the Perfect fighting Man".). Scores of 9.9 and 9.8 ( I won't say which number goes for which man.)

EDIT: Purely on spec, I rank David Haye as #1 among the current Heavyweights.

I think that Chagaev's impressive showing over 12 rounds against Valuev is more credible than any kind of knockout of Maskaev, especially one that followed a poor showing for 6 rounds. Thus 2)Chagaev 3)Peter, until Valuev beats Chag anyway...

It's really close between Chagaev and Peter in my opinion and I really couldn't fault anyone for having either guy as their number two.

Going into the Peter fight however I had Maskaev pretty high up in my personal HW pecking order and felt that Peter KO'ing him gave him the nod for now. I may have overrated Maskaev but hey we'll see over time as fights play out.

I actually like Ruslan a lot, out of all the HW's he might be my favourite to watch for the time being.

Wladimir Klitschko is #1. I don't think anybody can debate that at this point. I would put Peter #2.

Wladimir Klitschko is #1. I don't think anybody can debate that at this point. I would put Peter #2.

I think klitschko is 1, but that's not saying much.

if he would be slightly more aggressive he'd be no 1 with a bullet, he should ko guys much faster.

Wlad is number one and it isn't even close. I still think Peter is just waiting to get beaten. I'd like to see Peter fight Briggs if Shannon can get himself into decent shape, would be a hell of a firefight while it lasts. I actually think Sultan could beat Peter also.

Wlad is number one and it isn't even close. I still think Peter is just waiting to get beaten. I'd like to see Peter fight Briggs if Shannon can get himself into decent shape, would be a hell of a firefight while it lasts. I actually think Sultan could beat Peter also.
Peter destroys Sultan and Briggs, IMO.

Haven't been following Vladimir Virchis but I see he has a KO win over Robert Hawkins.
Not the most impressive thing to beat Hawkins, but to KO him that is impressive.
He handled some hard shots from Peter and Tua.
That, and is pretty good at slipping other shots.
Boxrec has it noted that Virchis dropped him 3 times.
Since I haven't seen any of his fights could any of you give some thoughts on him? Was his loss to Chagaev legit? Has he been ducked by alot of guy (read this)? What are his chances at landing a big fight against a Wlad, Peter, etc.?

His loss to Chageav was fishy, both guys stood around and through very few punches, let me find a fight write up.

1. Wlad Klitschko
2. Samuel Peter
3. Vacant
4. Vacant
5. Vacant
6. Vacant
7. Vacant
8. Vacant
9. Vacant
10. Vacant

There's not a guy that I'm comfortable saying is the third best heavyweight in the world, even if he is. Ruslan Chagaev? Povetkin? Ruiz? No thank you. My heavyweight considerations begin and end with a top two these days.

so where do you rank david haye now??

where will he be in 1 yr?

Hey Bostonmma,
any luck finding that write up?

This is tough going, from what I gathered, Chageav lost his mother the week before and didn't give sharp performance. This is all I could find so far, I'm still looking for more

In the highly anticapated WBA/WBO International showdown between unbeaten heavyweights, Ruslan Chagaev (20-0-1, 16 KOs) of the Universum stable edged previously unbeaten Spotlight fighter Vladimir Virchis (20-1, 17 KOs) by majority decision on Saturday at the Color Line Arena in Hamburg, Germany. Scores were 115:114, 116:112 for Chagaev and 114:114. Although both fighters had kayoed more that 80% of their previous opponents, ths fight was very close and tactical. There were no knockdowns

Edit - reading more, it seems that Chagaev and Virchis are friends and that they didn't put forth a full effor for the first 11 rounds

Back