Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Much better than blasting through a full box and not hitting anything right?
I still blasted through a box and a half total but I kept pushing my range out further to see how I did. Consistently at about 1.5 inches.

I still blasted through a box and a half total but I kept pushing my range out further to see how I did. Consistently at about 1.5 inches.

Nice. Were you trying different types of ammo? I consistantly get sub 1" groups with federal. Vital shock 150g Sierra game kings.

Nice. Were you trying different types of ammo? I consistantly get sub 1" groups with federal. Vital shock 150g Sierra game kings.
Was just using 150 grain Hornady American Whitetail.

Was just using 150 grain Hornady American Whitetail.

I've never tried it, I pretty much stuck to federal in that gun. I have a Remington 700bdl that I've shot lots of Remington and Winchester ammo through and taken a caribou with but the gun got all fucked up in the rain, sleet, mud and shit. The weatherby is a better all around gun by far.

I've never tried it, I pretty much stuck to federal in that gun. I have a Remington 700bdl that I've shot lots of Remington and Winchester ammo through and taken a caribou with but the gun got all fucked up in the rain, sleet, mud and shit. The weatherby is a better all around gun by far.
I intend to hunt with Barnes Vor-Tx stuff but don't want to spend near $50 for a box of 20 just to go to the range.

20161026_182441_zpsoktdmucw.jpg

20161026_181713_zpsxxid2jxm.jpg

.338 Lapua at 715 and 700 yards.

Going to try for 800-1000 next time.

Range finder was acting screwy though, took forever to get the 715 reading. I think the battery was low though.

You're using a laser one right? if not the bettery, I find you gotta try for an average sometimes. Maybe it could be catching some refraction over the distance and brightness, distorting the reading?

The one I have says 1000 yards. At certain times I've had it as close as 908 (perfect conditions, dead nuts still), better results in the 800 range and reliable in the 700 range.

I saw one that was rated for 4500 yards once, but it cost too much.

With that cannon you should be spending up like $2.50 a shot, or more? Like playing golf at pebble beach!

You're using a laser one right? if not the bettery, I find you gotta try for an average sometimes. Maybe it could be catching some refraction over the distance and brightness, distorting the reading?

The one I have says 1000 yards. At certain times I've had it as close as 908 (perfect conditions, dead nuts still), better results in the 800 range and reliable in the 700 range.

With that cannon you should be spending up like $2.50 a shot, or more? Like playing golf at pebble beach!

Yeah, I've gotten good readings to 800 reliably a bunch of times. This thing was struggling with 4-600y this time. So I assume it's battery.

I do wish we could have gradually stepped up to that range though. Took a little bit to figure out wind and elevation. We went from doing a 100y zero to 700 with no previous data lol

Yeah, I've gotten good readings to 800 reliably a bunch of times. This thing was struggling with 4-600y this time. So I assume it's battery.

I'm assuming yours is a good one though? Mine's a bushnell yardage pro 1000. $199 at fines stores everywhere. At least 10 years ago when I bought it.

I do wish we could have gradually stepped up to that range though. Took a little bit to figure out wind and elevation. We went from doing a 100y zero to 700 with no previous data lol

How many shots did you waste connecting?

How many shots did you waste connecting?

Only a few to get on steel. I used the federal ballistics calculator so I added 3.5 mil of elevation. Wind was about 5-15 left to right. So I just held a couple feet left. Got dirt splash just low left, 2 more got me on steel and that is where the trouble kind of began. Trying to figure out where it was hitting on the steel. Plus the ammo being used it probably 1-1.5 moa ammo so you have a 7"+ possible spread, plus wind variations, plus the shooter, etc. So I could hit steel 50% of the time for a bit and slowly fine tuned and by the end was mostly hitting the steel chest flap or around it. Not sure how many rounds we shot.

I was doing some free standing Mosin Nagant and got damn close a couple of times but couldn't hit it lol.

Only a few to get on steel. I used the federal ballistics calculator so I added 3.5 mil of elevation. Wind was about 5-15 left to right. So I just held a couple feet left. Got dirt splash just low left, 2 more got me on steel and that is where the trouble kind of began. Trying to figure out where it was hitting on the steel. Plus the ammo being used it probably 1-1.5 moa ammo so you have a 7"+ possible spread, plus wind variations, plus the shooter, etc. So I could hit steel 50% of the time for a bit and slowly fine tuned and by the end was mostly hitting the steel chest flap or around it. Not sure how many rounds we shot.

I was doing some free standing Mosin Nagant and got damn close a couple of times but couldn't hit it lol.

That thing give you a flinch by the end of the day?

I haven't sighted in my 30-06 in ages, but I still drilled a deer with a Nosler 180 grain ballistic tip in the last two hours of hunting.

I'm a noob to this sub forum. Is this thread only for the shooting range or is archery range accepted as well?

Back