Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

CrashStitches

Please Cha Cha Cha
Banned
Reaction score
Put 150 rounds each through my 9mm Ruger SR9 and .45 Taurus 24/7 Pro DS.

All rounds were Walmart special Winchester White Box FMJ on the Ruger and 50 out of 150 on the Taurus were Winchester White Box hollow points, the rest were FMJ.

The SR9 devoured all FMJ rounds cleanly and spit em accurately. Not a hint of trouble. The WWB .45acp JHP rounds (ones I'd never shot before) gave me 2 Fail to Feeds, hanging up on the Taurus's feed ramp. Not sure yet if it was ammo, mag, or dirtiness issue (the HP's were the last rounds of the day). Not sure I'm comfortable with 2/50 failure rate. The WWB .45 FMJs ran without a hitch.

Overall a fun day (minus the intense tinnitus...don't lose your hearing protection mid-session).

Who else spilled the brass this week? How'd you do?

Went to the range yesterday with a friend(new shooter) and put 124 rounds through my CZ P07(.40) and about 100 rounds through my new(to me lol) GSG-5 .22 rifle. Then I ended up going today with another friend(also a new shooter lol) and put another 100 rounds through the CZ and about 120 through the GSG. Used typical Walmart Federal ammo for both and didn't have a single failure with either.

I have to say I have an intense dislike for WWB. I think it's pure crap. Not only is it more expensive than the Federal(around here) but it's way dirtier and seems to be more prone to problems.

My brother-in-law and I went out back to the creek bed and but a few hundred rounds through the old bolt action .22. Set up at about 100yds using pears for targets. Got bored (and stupid) and stuck a 12ga shell in the creek bed and shot at that for a while. Hit the primer and set it off, but it was buried so everything went into the ground. Got bored again and made a few silencers for it out of plastic bottles. That was pretty cool. We cut the end off the bottle and packed the nozzle end with steel wool. Only works once unless you repack the steel wool for each shot.

Went to the range yesterday with a friend(new shooter) and put 124 rounds through my CZ P07(.40) and about 100 rounds through my new(to me lol) GSG-5 .22 rifle. Then I ended up going today with another friend(also a new shooter lol) and put another 100 rounds through the CZ and about 120 through the GSG. Used typical Walmart Federal ammo for both and didn't have a single failure with either.

I have to say I have an intense dislike for WWB. I think it's pure crap. Not only is it more expensive than the Federal(around here) but it's way dirtier and seems to be more prone to problems.

I also took a first timer to the range yesterday, which I neglected to mention. He'd never even held a gun (most of my friends and I grew up in skateboarding and punk rock scenes, and tend to lean to the left). He felt real awkward at first when I was going over safety rules, handgun mechanics, and shooting stance, plus watching the range's mandatory safety video. I started to feel bad cuz I didn't think he'd like actually shooting...but I was way wrong. We were shooting at 7 yards, because the place was packed and that was the first lane open. One mag in, and he was hooked. A new shooter was instantly born LOL! Now he wants his own iron.

I might have to step it up ammo-wise next time I buy some, but WWB is by far the least expensive around here.

Girlfriend picked up a Sig Sauer P239 SAS. I've resisted the urge to shoot it before the weekend, as that is when a lot of my friends are getting together for a big shoot.

Loved my GSG 5. Put a few thousand rounds through it before trading it.

Nothing major, just fired off 3 loads for my muzzleloader that I had made up a month ago for muzzleloader season. Hornady SST bullets with 120 grains of Blackhorn 209.

Went to the range with a friend and his girlfriend. We shot his new XDM (3.8'' barrel, compact, 9mm) as well as a walther .22 his girlfriend rented. I also let a few rip with my cz 75 sp01 phantom. I noticed that I didn't like the trigger safety on the XDM as much as I did prior to shooting my cz phantom. Practiced shooting 2 to the chest and 1 to the head on silhouette targets at 7 yards the whole time. A good way to spend a saturday morning.

Put 150 rounds each through my 9mm Ruger SR9 and .45 Taurus 24/7 Pro DS.

All rounds were Walmart special Winchester White Box FMJ on the Ruger and 50 out of 150 on the Taurus were Winchester White Box hollow points, the rest were FMJ.

The SR9 devoured all FMJ rounds cleanly and spit em accurately. Not a hint of trouble. The WWB .45acp JHP rounds (ones I'd never shot before) gave me 2 Fail to Feeds, hanging up on the Taurus's feed ramp. Not sure yet if it was ammo, mag, or dirtiness issue (the HP's were the last rounds of the day). Not sure I'm comfortable with 2/50 failure rate. The WWB .45 FMJs ran without a hitch.

Overall a fun day (minus the intense tinnitus...don't lose your hearing protection mid-session).

Who else spilled the brass this week? How'd you do?

Didn't go to the range this weekend but I must say, I absolutely LOVE my SR9C.

Took my buddy to the range to shoot my buckmark. We went through 525 rounds in an hour.

Going tomorrow to stretch the legs of my new Mossberg Maverick 88 Security (18.5 barrel and 5-shot capacity) 12ga and Phoenix HP22a .22LR pistol, in addition to breaking in my RIA 1911 GI .45 some more. Also gonna run my SR9 and Taurus 24/7 .45. Going with a group of my old-school homies...can't wait! Tossin a few hundred rounds downrange always makes it a good day, especially with your oldest friends.

Went through an entire 250 mega pack of .45 in my new XDM .45. Christmas present to myself. Had so much fun went back to Academy and bought another 500 rounds for this week.

early saturday morning i went with my roommate to a carbine course/competition. it was early as balls but really fun.

the whole thing was at 200 yards except for a surprise final stage at the end that was 100 yards, 5 shots, standing off hand.

the rest was different stages focusing on the use of cover and multiple firing positions like urban prone, sbu prone, kneeling, and so on. most people hadn't done the less comfortable prone positions before but it was all fun. roughly 100 rounds fired per person.

i shot my stag model 2 ar15. most ppl had optics, in fact the club that held it i guess is in a nicer area, cause all the members had acogs and such and their shit was all tac'd out. a few were even running suppressors and everyone had slightly over elaborate chest rigs.

each stage had 3 phases, 5 rounds per. each hit was a point. i scored around 24 i think, which i was pretty pleased with, considering i was using iron sights on a carbine/m4

plus i nailed all the standing offhand shots

Patterned my Baikal MP153 and goofed around and fired off the rest of my box of .270WSM. Other than that not a whole lot.

Went out to the inlaws and packed an old recliner with tannerite. Took more rounds than I would like with the AK, but once I got the sight adjustment down that recliner exploded and showered the creek with stuffing. There were pieces of the cushion about 60 feet up in the trees.

It's fun stuff. I tried to upload the vid from my phone but it's not working. I'll put it on my PC when I get off work and hopefully I can post it tonight or tomorrow.

I'll be volunteering as a brass bitch in an upcoming, local-ish SASS match on Sunday. However, the match director has also agreed to let me shoot a stage. I'll be bringing my GoPro and I just may post a first person video of what will probably be the slowest course of fire any of you more experienced shooters have ever seen.

Back