Randy Couture: Lesnar title shot "begs the question, what’s going on?"

Not to mention, he called out the UFC in a personal press conference before that about how they were unfair then got the shot with Tim. It's true the UFC isnt fair but Randy was a hypocrite as well.

He is right though.

I am not sure how he is a hypocrite. He is not saying Brock shouldn't take it. He is saying the UFC shouldn't do it.

I'm not the person you quoted but Vladimir Matyushenko was a more worthy contender. He was on a 3 fight winning streak including Lil Nog, Travis Wiuff and Pedro Rizzo.

He was fighting at HW when Randy n Chuck fought the first time.

Ya the way i look at is this.

If you were a Randy like fighter back then or a Conor type fighter now, and you enter the UFC, you can BOTH hate the system that awards the 'promotion' side over the 'merit' side but also 'not have to die on your shield saying no to it, when you know it exists anyway and others will get the benefits if you refuse them.

I know some see hypocrisy in that but I would only call it hypocrisy if the fighter had the ability to change the system they complained about but did not. Sorry but if the UFC is pushing stars on Marketability over Merit and I am a fighter with that chance at Conor money right now, I am not saying no out of some sense of honour. Careers in this business are way too short.
Exactly!
Yes, I understand Randy benefited from it.
But he is speaking up now, and bashing him not only does not help prevent the issue from happening, you are actually helping the UFC by shutting up the voices that raise up.

And every person calling Randy a Hypocrite should realize they would do the exact same as Randy if given the chance. Not ONE of those people would say no to money.

So all I wanted to note is that calling Randy hypocrite does not help anyone (but the UFC).

Couture is the only fighter to get 2 title shots when coming off of a loss/losses in different divisions. He lost to Barnett and Ricco at HW then got at title shot at LHW, he lost to Liddell at LHW then got a title shot at HW. Couture should never criticize someone for getting undeserved title shots cause he's gotten the most undeserved title shots of anyone.
Exactly. Very true.

He comes off as a really bitter old man these days.

Randy Couture... the guy who jumped the line & got a title shot at HW, after losing two fights in a row at HW. Solely because of his star power at the time. Please, tell us more about what’s fair.

<{cruzshake}>
He may be a hypocrite, but he's still not wrong.

Also Randy might be out of the loop, but the HW division in UFC is awful and there is no one else to fight, the only guy that comes to mind is Blaydes, but he was already booked in a fight.

"no one else".. Pretty much every active HW on the roster would have deserved it more than Lesnar. Lesnar's last win is from 2010.

Exactly!
Yes, I understand Randy benefited from it.
But he is speaking up now, and bashing him not only does not help prevent the issue from happening, you are actually helping the UFC by shutting up the voices that raise up.

And every person calling Randy a Hypocrite should realize they would do the exact same as Randy if given the chance. Not ONE of those people would say no to money.

So all I wanted to note is that calling Randy hypocrite does not help anyone (but the UFC).

I don't even think the word hypocrite is correct there personally. Its too harsh. Maybe you could call him someone willing to exploit a loop hole once he found himself inside a broken system.

I mean, i could be a fighter outside the UFC who legit thinks the UFC system needs reform and a ranking system to promote who gets the next title shot in a systemic way that is fairer to the fighters.

I can then get in the UFC and realizing I don't have the power to change anything, go along with the system in place and if I get a title shot that is more based on my 'marketability' than ranking, I will take it.

i don't see that fighter as hypocritical in that situation unless he said outside the UFC "I would never take such a thing". He can point out the system is not right. Still exist and participate in the system and then when he retires point out the system was not right.

LOL people are legit shitting on one of the greatest legends of the sport just to defend their crappy corrupt UFC's dignity. You guys are white knights for a multi billion dollar organization lol. Sad.
Is anything people saying about him wrong? Randy did jump the line and get an undeserved HW title shot because he was popular. That's a fact! The UFC are scum bags, but that doesn't mean people can't call Randy out on his hypocrisy

I am not sure how he is a hypocrite. He is not saying Brock shouldn't take it. He is saying the UFC shouldn't do it.

Was he saying ufc shouldn’t do it when they did it for him? He’s complaining about something he himself benefited from.

Was he saying ufc shouldn’t do it when they did it for him? He’s complaining about something he himself benefited from.

Ya just like i wouldnt complain for myself either. Obviously brock shouldnt complain for himself. Why the fuck would he?

Ya just like i wouldnt complain for myself either. Obviously brock shouldnt complain for himself. Why the fuck would he?

I don’t recall saying he would but if he takes the hand out he really lost all right to talk shit when they give it to someone else. Not sure why that’s hard for you to grasp.

as a big fan of Nog, I won't say I wasn't mad.
But again, you guys are taking the focus of WHAT Randy said just to attack him and take the focus away from the real (IMHO bigger) issue.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less if Randy is or not a hypocrite (he is).

But the problem I would like to be resolved is this greed taking over the sport of MMA.

Now no champion wants to defend against their top opponent.
Every single fucking fighter is trying desperately to talk trash, so they can get noticed (i mean, even Miocic is desperately attempting to trash talk which does not suit him at all!)..

So no.
IMHO You guys are deviating from topic just to bash Randy... which is (again, IMHO) ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous. A champ wanting to make money by facing a fighter who is a bigger draw and/or an easier pay day is nothing new. These guys aren't in this business to appease fans unless it makes them money -- ideally, the most money they can make. This is why Couture's hypocrisy keeps being brought up; he isn't any different. The fact that the exact same fighter (Lesnar) is involved in the title fight scenario makes it all that much more laughable.

Couture as a moral authority with his track record deserves to be pointed out as well.

He's just the wrong guy to say anything about either subject the way he did. If Couture said something along the lines of "I was coaxed out of retirement to fight at a weight class I hadn't been in for years because the owners wanted to capitalize on the Rocky Balboa movie (nostalgia for old fighters; comebacks, etc) that came out around that time and they hated the guy who was the champ and they thought I was his kyrptonite" or something that alluded to some of the favoritism he's been shown at times, it would be a more balanced perspective.

IMO, if you read between the lines, Couture seems to be hinting that "everything was different in my day," which is a farce. It's always about money and always will be. He could have even summarized everything by saying, "This isn't a perfect world. It is driven by money."

i mean normally I would agree with this so I did some research. 10 of his last 11 fights prior to the Sylvia fight had been title fights. The loss to Barnett when Couture was HW champ should have been overturned but wasn’t after Barnett popped for roids. He went on to beat Chuck, Tito, and Vitor (all prime) at LHW before losing twice to Chuck which caused him to move up. And when you look at HW at the time it was EXTREMELY weak. So yea...... a guy who had 10 of his last 11 fights as title fights I would certainly say is worthy of getting a Hw title shot in a weak division especially when he was a former HW champ himself. Food for thought friend

The guy deserved a title fight because he'd already been gifted and lost so many?

It's not ridiculous. A champ wanting to make money by facing a fighter who is a bigger draw and/or an easier pay day is nothing new. These guys aren't in this business to appease fans unless it makes them money -- ideally, the most money they can make. This is why Couture's hypocrisy keeps being brought up; he isn't any different. The fact that the exact same fighter (Lesnar) is involved in the title fight scenario makes it all that much more laughable.

Couture as a moral authority with his track record deserves to be pointed out as well.

He's just the wrong guy to say anything about either subject the way he did. If Couture said something along the lines of "I was coaxed out of retirement to fight at a weight class I hadn't been in for years because the owners wanted to capitalize on the Rocky Balboa movie (nostalgia for old fighters; comebacks, etc) that came out around that time and they hated the guy who was the champ and they thought I was his kyrptonite" or something that alluded to some of the favoritism he's been shown at times, it would be a more balanced perspective.

IMO, if you read between the lines, Couture seems to be hinting that "everything was different in my day," which is a farce. It's always about money and always will be. He could have even summarized everything by saying, "This isn't a perfect world. It is driven by money."
LOL
Your altruism really shows.

"what he says between the lines"
"what he should have said"

Listen to yourselves.
He spoke the truth. Plain and simple.
You are trying hard to find something just to bash on him.

And the fact he spoke the truth just makes you mad.

LOL
Your altruism really shows.

"what he says between the lines"
"what he should have said"

Listen to yourselves.
He spoke the truth. Plain and simple.
You are trying hard to find something just to bash on him.

And the fact he spoke the truth just makes you mad.

Yes. I'm infuriated.

I don’t recall saying he would but if he takes the hand out he really lost all right to talk shit when they give it to someone else. Not sure why that’s hard for you to grasp.

Its not shit talking its fact talking. This isnt about any 1 fighter. This is about the UFC using an unfair ranking and titleshot system which undermines the sport.

Back