Randy Couture and his black belt from Neil Melanson

In a GI, Randy would not be in the top 50% of BBs.

Sure, 99% of them would have to play guard with Randy, and sweeping him would be extremely difficult. But i dont see Randy passing Roger, Xande, or Werdum's guard in the GI.

To be fair, I don't see many BBs passing those guards.

LOL@ this thread again!!

:)

The Black belt has a certain mystique about it. It makes the average wuss, couch potato, geek a superman to the uneducated public and becomes a source of admiration. "I have a BB in DOO DOO DO" WOW, amazing, dont mess with him!

But be a champion wrestler or MMA champion and suddenly the same "general public" considers you some meat head or bully.

Bottom Line, the gracies copied Judo but changed some colors on the belt (maybe) so what? Now Neil M copied BJJ and here comes the hate. Another example of hypocricy.

Get over yourselves, seriously. Randy has beaten the piss out of guys in the closest thing to a real fight we have that are ranked in something or another. He has also lost to the same types of people. They are all on the same level so I think his rank in his martial art is appropriate.

To be fair, I don't see many BBs passing those guards.

NO NO NO if you have a BJJ blackbelt then you can pass the guard of all other BJJ guards of your rank or lower.

How about we rescind all BB's from current BB's that cannot pass Rogers,Werdums, Jacare's or Marcelo's guards.

But you have to admit that it is ironic:

submission grappler with a base of catch wrestling awarding a BB!

It's all grappling. How many BJJ blackbelt's can hold Jacare to a draw?

I can understand the concern but it is not like Randy's is going to advertise himself as a BJJ black belt to get ahead.

It's all grappling. How many BJJ blackbelt's can hold Jacare to a draw?

I can understand the concern but it is not like Randy's is going to advertise himself as a BJJ black belt to get ahead.

how many? as many as keep runing the fuck out every time jacare get close from him... that match awful, and Randy would've not engaged... it takes 2 ppl to fight, and it takes 2 ppl to grapple...

how many? as many as keep runing the fuck out every time jacare get close from him... that match awful, and Randy would've not engaged... it takes 2 ppl to fight, and it takes 2 ppl to grapple...

I am not disputing Randy was defensive in that match BUT I still dont think on a mat a large % of people (even experts) can run, disengage and defend Jacare. In fact if it were not for Randy's superior standup Grappling (yes it's still grappling) Jacare would not have continued to not engage on the feet and turn it into a pull and sweep or sub game. Instead he would have just thrown the F out of him like he has done to so many others.

Again, not claiming Randy took it to him and it ended in a draw, saying that Jacare could still whip someones ass in grappling no matter what they tried to do or not do.

Whatever, Jacare was supposed to maul him and submit him easily, instead Randy fought off every attempt he threw at him. I gained a ton of respect for Randy's abilities after that match.

Also, learn the difference between an ellipsis, comma and a period.

:mad:
Whatever, Jacare was supposed to maul him and submit him easily, instead Randy fought off every attempt he threw at him. I gained a ton of respect for Randy's abilities after that match.

Also, learn the difference between an ellipsis, comma and a period.

yeah, and Randy was supposed to go in there an grapple against jacare to see who was the best grappler, neither of that happpend... but im pretty sure if ppl knew what was randy plaining to do, not that many ppl would've been wating jacare to maul him...

and about the grammar shit...

im not trying to be a bitch here, but Im not american, and I speak and write (at least to the point where ppl can understand a little of what im trying to say) in 3 different languages how many can you???:mad::mad:

I am not disputing Randy was defensive in that match BUT I still dont think on a mat a large % of people (even experts) can run, disengage and defend Jacare. In fact if it were not for Randy's superior standup Grappling (yes it's still grappling) Jacare would not have continued to not engage on the feet and turn it into a pull and sweep or sub game. Instead he would have just thrown the F out of him like he has done to so many others.

Again, not claiming Randy took it to him and it ended in a draw, saying that Jacare could still whip someones ass in grappling no matter what they tried to do or not do.

I agree with you, im not saying randy is a slouch on the ground either...

In a GI, Randy would not be in the top 50% of BBs.

Sure, 99% of them would have to play guard with Randy, and sweeping him would be extremely difficult. But i dont see Randy passing Roger, Xande, or Werdum's guard in the GI.

Its a totally different game.

I don't think anyone would argue with this, afterall Minotauro swept him twice fairly easily in MMA, let alone in a gi.

But then again, im sure there are some Tapout heavyweight kids who will insist that hed win ADCC....

LOL@ this thread again!!

The Black belt has a certain mystique about it. It makes the average wuss, couch potato, geek a superman to the uneducated public and becomes a source of admiration. "I have a BB in DOO DOO DO" WOW, amazing, dont mess with him!

But be a champion wrestler or MMA champion and suddenly the same "general public" considers you some meat head or bully.

Bottom Line, the gracies copied Judo but changed some colors on the belt (maybe) so what? Now Neil M copied BJJ and here comes the hate. Another example of hypocricy.

Get over yourselves, seriously. Randy has beaten the piss out of guys in the closest thing to a real fight we have that are ranked in something or another. He has also lost to the same types of people. They are all on the same level so I think his rank in his martial art is appropriate.

To be fair I think there is a difference between an offshoot of Judo/another Japanese martial art using coloured belts and a western one using belts. I personally think too many guys try to introduce belts these days, for example Chute Boxe having Muay Thai black belts. It just seems kinda tacky when you try to force it onto other martial arts...a black belt in catch wrestling? No thanks, id rather catch guys wear a badass mask!

trustybellsaku.jpg

I'm not questioning its legitimacy. Just saying it's weird any time you give a black belt to the guy who employs you.

I agree... I wish I could get my blackbelt by taping out a white belt....

Wait no, I actually want to earn mine the right way.

I'm fairly sure Randy's earned his belt...

LOL@ this thread again!!

fucking CHURCH.

LOL@ this thread again!!

You need to chill. Nobody is questioning Randy's grappling credentials, merely the style of rank awarded, because they don't want it confused with bjj, because Randy doesn't train bjj. Without question he's an elite grappler and one of the best in the world at what he does.

The Graices used Kano's ranking system because they were teaching a style that was derived from his style. The belt closed the gi and was part of the uniform, hence the visible ranking taking the form of a belt. Luta Livre, on the other hand, did not award belts, because it was entirely no gi. Likewise, other no gi catch wrestling instructors do not award belts (i.e. Erik Paulson). So it makes no sense for someone to award a black kimono belt for a style that is nether derived from a belt-wearing style, nor that uses a kimono.

That's all there is to it. Don't read anything more into it.

To be fair I think there is a difference between an offshoot of Judo/another Japanese martial art using coloured belts and a western one using belts. I personally think too many guys try to introduce belts these days, for example Chute Boxe having Muay Thai black belts. It just seems kinda tacky when you try to force it onto other martial arts...a black belt in catch wrestling? No thanks, id rather catch guys wear a badass mask!

trustybellsaku.jpg

who are you to judge?

a westerner practicing a form of a japanese art that was taught to some south american guys?

the only people who should be pissed the japanese, and they don't seem to give a shit.

You need to chill. Nobody is questioning Randy's grappling credentials, merely the style of rank awarded, because they don't want it confused with bjj, because Randy doesn't train bjj. Without question he's an elite grappler and one of the best in the world at what he does.

The Graices used Kano's ranking system because they were teaching a style that was derived from his style. The belt closed the gi and was part of the uniform, hence the visible ranking taking the form of a belt. Luta Livre, on the other hand, did not award belts, because it was entirely no gi. Likewise, other no gi catch wrestling instructors do not award belts (i.e. Erik Paulson). So it makes no sense for someone to award a black kimono belt for a style that is nether derived from a belt-wearing style, nor that uses a kimono.

That's all there is to it. Don't read anything more into it.

if they want to use belts, that's their prerogative. maybe it's a nod to bjj like bjj used belts as a nod to judo. if it's good, legitimate, effective.... and especially if they compete in combat grappling (which gokor's camp does) then, who cares? who SHOULD care? japanese judoka. that's it. nobody else should give a crap.

who are you to judge?

a westerner practicing a form of a japanese art that was taught to some south american guys?

the only people who should be pissed the japanese, and they don't seem to give a shit.

Relax sport, I just think it looks stupid, especially when you dont even have a GI to wear it on. And do you really think a belt is cooler than a mask? Because I sure as shit dont.

Back