Randy Couture and his black belt from Neil Melanson

ASMBJJ

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
To start off, I would like to say that I am in no way questioning whether Neil Melanson is a skilled grappler and a good coach. In fact, I would love to have the opportunity to train with him sometime. I was just a bit shocked that he gave Randy a black belt after his submission victory over James Toney for two reasons. First off, subbing Toney was great and all, and it proved a point, but let's be honest. James Toney is not a world class grappler (or even average). Second, from what I understood, Melanson did most of his study in catch wrestling with Gokor and Karo Parisyan. I knew he had experience in jiu jitsu, as he is very skilled with the triangle choke, but never knew he was an official rank in BJJ. I was hoping that somebody on here who knows Neil or his lineage could tell who he got his black belt from. Again, not questioning his skills, knowledge, or anything for that matter. I know he's an awesome coach. just curious.

The belt is not a BJJ black, its in his own grappling style.

I agree... I wish I could get my blackbelt by taping out a white belt....

Wait no, I actually want to earn mine the right way.

It's supposed to be a black belt in his own system I believe, but for some reason he decided to put a BJJ style belt around his neck instead of plain black one.

Randy definately understands the details of BJJ. Nog had him in tight positions and he escaped.

I knew Melanson started his own system but from what i saw it was patches for no gi board shorts or something like that. That's why I was confused when he gave him an actual belt. Thanks for clarifying though!

Yeah, the black belt is in Neil's style that he teaches at Randy's school. Pretty slick marketing strategy to have Randy get his belt in the ring right after such a high profile fight.

I agree... I wish I could get my blackbelt by taping out a white belt....

Wait no, I actually want to earn mine the right way.

I want to see you leave uscathed from having Lesnar on top and then surviving many sub attempts from big Nog of your back

Frank Mir a BB left like Mr potato head from having Lesnar in halfguard

It seems like Randy should be a BB in all forms of grappling due to his experience and skill level. But then againg I've never seen him in a gi..

In a GI, Randy would not be in the top 50% of BBs.

Sure, 99% of them would have to play guard with Randy, and sweeping him would be extremely difficult. But i dont see Randy passing Roger, Xande, or Werdum's guard in the GI.

Its a totally different game.

lol @ "white belts" questioning Randy's grappling credentials.

Yeah, the black belt is in Neil's style that he teaches at Randy's school. Pretty slick marketing strategy to have Randy get his belt in the ring right after such a high profile fight.

Would be slicker if anyone seemed to be aware that it was for his own grappling style and not bjj. Even Sherdog articles are saying Randy got his BJJ blackbelt.

The belt is not a BJJ black, its in his own grappling style.

So Neil has a no gi grappling system...why does he award belts when a belt isn't part of the uniform? I'm not trying to be a dick or say that it really was a BJJ BB (it wasn't although Sherdog and all the other MMA sites reported that it was). It just seems silly to award a belt when there's nowhere to put a belt. Why not award a certificate or something.

Sure, 99% of them would have to play guard with Randy, and sweeping him would be extremely difficult. But i dont see Randy passing Roger, Xande, or Werdum's guard in the GI.

I don't see him passing it without the gi either. Most likely in either one he would be on top, either from a takedown or guard pull. But I wouldn't see him scoring any more points than that.

Not that it matters for MMA, because his fighting style isn't based on passing.

So Neil has a no gi grappling system...why does he award belts when a belt isn't part of the uniform? I'm not trying to be a dick or say that it really was a BJJ BB (it wasn't although Sherdog and all the other MMA sites reported that it was). It just seems silly to award a belt when there's nowhere to put a belt. Why not award a certificate or something.

honestly i think it was just a publicity stunt. He probably just thought that people would react better to a black belt as opposed to some kind of certificate.

What can I say? the belt is so amusing.

You can take the man out of the gi but you can't take the belt out of the man.

Back