Rampage's slam on Bader illegal?

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had no idea there was even some lame rule about spiking an opponent on their head until the Rose Andrade fight recently. Was Rampage's slam on Bader illegal then? Because I don't recall anyone saying anything about it

If that's not spiking someone on their head, then I don't know what is

The greatest slams in MMA history are they illegal by UFC rules?

That was actually a headbutt

That’s what Arona always said, it was the heabutt that knocked him out, not the slam. I’m not sure I ever bought that, I thought he was out when his head hit the deck, but he definitely got hit with Rampage’s not inconsiderable head as well.

To answer the OP, all three of those could well have led to a DQ. Is it a ref decision?

All i know is Bader was inches away from a broken arm.

Bader should have rode that out. He made it worse by extending his arm and trying to break his fall. You cant penalize Rampage for Bader adjusting his position mid-slam.

Not illegal.

Last edited:
To answer the OP, all three of those could well have led to a DQ. Is it a ref decision?
Why not just get rid of it then? It's a joke rule, the fighters don't want it, the fans don't and apparently the refs don't even care about. It'll just confuse a lo of people in the future when someone finally does decide to enforce it

Personally i thought the rampage vs bader one was bullshit. I would have been ok with oa dqn that one

Damn i never noticed Bader's arm on that slam...how the f did it not break!?

Legal. Wasn't a straight up straight down piledriver.

I dunno. I know MMA isn’t a tickling competition, but I do wonder if it’s a good idea to allow slams on the head. Maybe I’m just getting old, but you’ve got to wonder about the potential spinal damage that could lead to.

Had no idea there was even some lame rule about spiking an opponent on their head until the Rose Andrade fight recently. Was Rampage's slam on Bader illegal then? Because I don't recall anyone saying anything about it

If that's not spiking someone on their head, then I don't know what is

The greatest slams in MMA history are they illegal by UFC rules?
Rampage's slam isn't illegal, there is no spike and the headbutt is arguable. The other three though are definitely a bit dodgy. Pile driving the top of someone's head into the canvass might have some lasting effects, wouldn't know though because I'm no fucking doctor. Just a fat bastard behind a computer who happens to have an internet degree in chatting shit, anyway two of those slams are illegal.

Rampage vs Bader = legal
Not 12-6 but close. 11:45-6:15 slams are ok.

Rampage Arona = legal
* in a submission attempt. Per big John McCarthy any slam is legal if the person being slammed is attempting a sub

Randleman vs Fedor = borderline but probably legal as I understand it.

A) not on the top of head, aka not exactly 12-6
B) Fedor has a kimura grip which he doesn't release

Basically to be illegal I think it would have to be a piledriver where the person being slammed is being forced into a precise 12-6 slam and their body posture is being controlled by their opponent

Pride didn't have those rules.
First Rampage slam is not illegal - he goes for a body slam and to land in side mount. Bader extends his arm and drops himself on his head by doing that.
Second one is a slam to their back - again legal minus the headbutt which I also believe was clearly what knocked Arona out.
Third one looks to be close to illegal but probably still allowed, it's a back/german suplex not a spike. Khabilov KOed someone with a similar move by locking his arm to break his fall then suplexing someone on the head for the KO.

What is illegal is a direct spike, like Sapp vs Nog.

Hadn't seen that slam in a while, it definitely looks illegal.

Didn't look like Rampage wanted to slam Bader on his head. Bader let go off Page's body and tried to adjust, that's shy he fell on his head. Hence, not illegal.

Rampage's slam isn't illegal, there is no spike and the headbutt is arguable. The other three though are definitely a bit dodgy. Pile driving the top of someone's head into the canvass might have some lasting effects, wouldn't know though because I'm no fucking doctor. Just a fat bastard behind a computer who happens to have an internet degree in chatting shit, anyway two of those slams are illegal.
You don’t wanna end up with spinal broketosis that’s a bitch to heal up

That’s what Arona always said, it was the heabutt that knocked him out, not the slam. I’m not sure I ever bought that, I thought he was out when his head hit the deck, but he definitely got hit with Rampage’s not inconsiderable head as well.
Yeah I agree bro,

But every-time i watch that, its the headbutt that makes me wince.

Can you imagine Pride DQing people for a power slam? Tokyo would burn!

Back