Rampage vs. James Toney in the works!

Rampage was too scared to exchange with Igor in PRIDE. He'd definitely go for the takedown on Toney. I have no interest in this unless it was a pure boxing contest.

But that was back when Rampage was a mixed martial arts fighter who both striked and grappled.

Anyway, Toney, even today, would box the shit out of Rampage.

So it will be a MMA fight then? I hope there is a gentlemen's agreement to keep it standing or something, otherwise just another payday.

Thank you. People who actually think Toney is going to "box up" Rampage, especially at the pitiful shape he's in now should be written off as borderline retarded.

Boxers are the most overrated people ever on this forum. People act like they'd come in and dominate the stand up easily, even guys like Toney who was over the hill years and years ago.

It's just a retarded way of thinking, especially with kicks, knees, clinch, etc. allowed I mix in with striking not even talking about the ground game.

News flash guys, striking in MMA is so different from boxing, ducking and weaving would get you kneed/taken down/etc. the gloves are small and you can't do near half the things defensively as you can in Boxing, etc.

The easiest way to explain this is overeem who absolutely dominated in K-1, won the title, beat Spong, Badr, etc. and then got KTFO by Browne and Bigfoot.

I disagree with the gloves thing. Toney doesn't use his gloves that much as part of his defence. Rampage is actually the one who employs that tight peek-a-boo style guard. Toney usually has a low left hand and relies on his shoulder and his positioning for his defence. He does catch jabs a bit with his right hand, but I don't see why you can't do that with a smaller glove. In K-1 Overeem does keep a tight guard, which maybe caused him problems when switching to MMA. But again, Toney doesn't do that.

Rampage doesn't throw kicks, knees and all that other stuff you are talking about. He likes to plant his feet and counter with power punches, usually hooks. He doesn't lead much at all. His style could play into Toney's hands, who is a master counter puncher. He is very hard to hit clean. And when you throw a power punch and miss, you are open to a counter. Toney's balance is way off at HW though, if he could get his weight down for this fight it would help a lot I think.

I disagree with the gloves thing. Toney doesn't use his gloves that much as part of his defence. Rampage is actually the one who employs that tight peek-a-boo style guard. Toney usually has a low left hand and relies on his shoulder and his positioning for his defence. He does catch jabs a bit with his right hand, but I don't see why you can't do that with a smaller glove. In K-1 Overeem does keep a tight guard, which maybe caused him problems when switching to MMA. But again, Toney doesn't do that.

Rampage doesn't throw kicks, knees and all that other stuff you are talking about. He likes to plant his feet and counter with power punches, usually hooks. He doesn't lead much at all. His style could play into Toney's hands, who is a master counter puncher. He is very hard to hit clean. And when you throw a power punch and miss, you are open to a counter. Toney's balance is way off at HW though, if he could get his weight down for this fight it would help a lot I think.

I agree with a lot of your points here, I was more pointing out the facets you have to consider of boxers moving over to MMA in general.

Rampage is probably now one of the worst examples cause he almost does all boxing as you say. But even clinching and dirty boxing would fluster Toney considerably.

Toney is way too expensive to be worth it, and Rampage would take him down and beat him up/sub him, so it would be a complete waste. The trash talk would likely suck, too. Rampage would be saying stupid shit while Toney would be mumbling incoherently.

Agreed, but as decayed as he is, he is still a better standup fighter than most MMA fighters. well...I think so anyway

Standup =/= boxing

The easiest way to explain this is overeem who absolutely dominated in K-1, won the title, beat Spong, Badr, etc. and then got KTFO by Browne and Bigfoot.

That's not a very good way of explaining it. Overeem easily outstruck Bigfoot for 2 rounds, then got way too arrogant and got caught in the 3rd. Against Browne, there was shitty reffing. Overeem didn't absolutely dominate in K-1, either.

There is no way for Toney to win. He won't one punch KO Rampage, but lets say Toney rocks him bad. I don't think Toney would know how to finish the fight once Rampage goes down. He's obviously not winning the decision either. Even if the fight is a standup battle, Rampage will be able to recover from any trouble.

Guys I think Toney can still hang with Rampage in the standup, even in mma, even as decayed as he is he is still a smart fighter and his defense is still good and so is his chin BUT that won't matter because Toney won't fight, he will give up, let himself be taken down and tap out. And cash in at least 100k dollars.
Toney would need to train a lot of TDD and getting back up just to make the fight fun(he would still lose), no way he is going to do that.

Rampage is still a mma fighter, he got takedowns, gnp...and he could simply push toney and he would fall.

Mercer vs. Toney MMA would have been great after Mercer KO of Tim Sylvia.

Someone should have tried to make that fight happen.

Toney should be retired from boxing, him fighting MMA against a company's biggest draw is kinda gross.

I know it's OT, but could you name any examples of fights where he threw some hammers? I've only really seen him fight RJJ, and I thought he kinda looked like shit there, but I don't think that's a very fair assessment bearing in mind his opponent!

Toney/Jirov, as the other poster mentioned, is a classic bout. Really good contrast of styles, very competitive, and an exciting ending.

James Toney has been fat and not just past prime, but a shell of who he was as a boxer, for damn near a decade now.

And yet people are willing to watch this. I don't get the interest.

I just want to see another former great boxer crushed by an MMA fighter so I can use it to troll people in the boxing subforum

Thank you. People who actually think Toney is going to "box up" Rampage, especially at the pitiful shape he's in now should be written off as borderline retarded.

Boxers are the most overrated people ever on this forum. People act like they'd come in and dominate the stand up easily, even guys like Toney who was over the hill years and years ago.

It's just a retarded way of thinking, especially with kicks, knees, clinch, etc. allowed I mix in with striking not even talking about the ground game.

News flash guys, striking in MMA is so different from boxing, ducking and weaving would get you kneed/taken down/etc. the gloves are small and you can't do near half the things defensively as you can in Boxing, etc.

You know nothing about striking. Nobody ducks or weaves unless there is a punch being thrown. Explain again how somebody shoots a take down while punching? Lol at "the clinch". Have you forgot body shots? A couple shots to the ribs will loosen that clinch real quick. Having smaller gloves means the mma striker has less chance to hide also. really bad against a world class boxer.

You know nothing about striking. Nobody ducks or weaves unless there is a punch being thrown. Explain again how somebody shoots a take down while punching? Lol at "the clinch". Have you forgot body shots? A couple shots to the ribs will loosen that clinch real quick. Having smaller gloves means the mma striker has less chance to hide also. really bad against a world class boxer.

You sir need to watch a few more fights. Look at how Dillishaw handled Barao. Barao was the better striker and still is the better striker, but the threat of the takedown and takedown feints ruined Barao's ability to strike effectively.

Im assuming UFC has no hold on Toney? I though he signed a 2/3 fight contract with them?

Bellator will have completely lost the fucking plot if they make this fight. This is what happens when you let clueless tv people have a say in running your promotion.

Rampage wins by being younger and being able to take a better punch. Toney is done.

Boxers would dominate MMA fighters in striking without kicks...

However, James Toney is a WASHED UP Boxer, he is too old.

Any MMA fighter trained to strike could easily out-box James Toney at this point, so long as they avoid a sneaky right hand. Skills don't come into play anymore, James Toney is too slow and fat to stand effectively at this point.

This is coming from a boxing fan and a james toney fan...

James Toney is no longer a boxer, he is a retired old fat man.

Are we even sure that they are speaking about a MMA fight and not a boxing fight? I could very well imagine Rampage fighting Toney under boxing rules he would do that kind of stuff

Back