Rambo (2008) is a Masterpiece

splendica

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This is a subjective opinion of course, but this film just is Sylvester Stallone's greatest work for me. I realize there's another Rambo coming out but I don't know how it can compete or should compete with the Rambo 2008 entry.

First of all, the subject matter of this Rambo entry was interesting, very unique: a group of Christians aid workers go into help a small village in war-torn Burma; the village gets obliterated by a ruthless local infantry unit, the aid workers get captured.

Stallone is at his biggest, most-jacked, self. But he actually pulls it off, better than his character in the later - much weaker - franchise, The Expendables. He is an absolutely believable Vietnam War veteran killing machine. His line, "When you're pushed, killing is as easy as breathing" resonates so believably. He even understands himself, who he is: that he's a killing machine, remembering bits and pieces from his past and those who created him for the Vietnam War. His story and character are so well crafted.

And then there's the war violence. IMO, the violence is most brutal and realistic of any mainstream cinematic offering. Yes, more than even Saving Private Ryan. I read one review awhile ago that called it a gore film. But yeah, the village destruction, the killing fields, and then the lengthy last battle scene? Extremely brutal, raw, and intense. It blows you through the back of your seat. And the action is quick-moving, articulate, creative and believable.

If you haven't seen this film, it's a must-see. It still holds up very well 11 years later. Stallone doesn't get nearly enough credit for this film nor his character portrayal. I don't throw out the term masterpiece very often, but this film is in that stratosphere for what it is.

Last edited:
Rambo is my absolute favorite over the top military action film. I never get bored or tired of this movie.

This is a subjective opinion of course, but this film just is Sylvester Stallone's greatest work for me. I realize there's another Rambo coming out but I don't know how it can compete or should compete with the Rambo 2008 entry.

First of all, the subject matter of this Rambo entry was interesting, very unique: a group of Christians go into help a small village in war-torn Burma; the village gets obliterated by a ruthless local infantry unit, the aid workers get captured.

Stallone is at his biggest, most-jacked, self. But he actually pulls it off, better than his character in the later - much weaker - franchise, The Expendables. He is an absolutely believable Vietnam War veteran killing machine. His line, "When you're pushed, killing is as easy as breathing" resonates so believably. He even understands himself, who he is: that he's a killing machine, remembering bits and pieces from his past and those who created him for the Vietnam War. His story and character are so well crafted.

And then there's the war violence. IMO, the violence is most brutal and realistic of any mainstream cinematic offering. Yes, more than even Saving Private Ryan. I read one review awhile ago that called it a gore film. But yeah, the village destruction, the killing fields, and then the lengthy last battle scene? Extremely brutal, raw, and intense. It blows you through the back of your seat. And the action is quick-moving, articulate, creative and believable.

If you haven't seen this film, it's a must-see. It still holds up very well 11 years later. Stallone doesn't get nearly enough credit for this film nor his character portrayal. I don't throw out the term masterpiece very often, but this film is in stratosphere for what it is.

*BTW, it's on Netflix now, it wasn't for a long time.
Yoooooo, I’m watching this tonight. It’s a great movie.

It was a very solid movie. Stallone went back to his First Blood characterization, a lot darker and more angry. His performance was excellent.

The movie wasn't perfect. Julie Benz is capable of quite a bit better and there are little things like her line delivery should have been left out of the final cut of his dream sequence.

But Stallone showed once again that he can write, act and direct simultaneously at a very high level.

I wish I could find the very first trailer from May 2007. Little to no music and just Rambo narrating as he's slaughtering and gutting dudes. Later trailers had that stupid "Bodies Hit the Floor" song.

https://www.firstshowing.net/2007/john-rambo-iv-feature-trailer/

Yeah, I remember being disappointed when the ads started running during UFC and on Spike TV. Back then only dog shit action movies like the Conan remake advertised to the Spike UFC crowd and I knew Rambo 4 was going to be a real movie. Those ads made it look terrible.

Holy shit. I had no idea this movie even existed. Will watch

Rambo is my absolute favorite over the top military action film. I never get bored or tired of this movie.

I hadn't watched it for years. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it still.

Relentless kills and action is just unreal. And Rambo is an absolute machine. He's like the military pre-John Wick, John Wick.

But anyway, Stallone just went full throttle on this movie. I'm actually surprised there's going to be a 5th, because I don't know how he pulls anything off believably like he did in this one.

I wish I could find the very first trailer from May 2007. Little to no music and just Rambo narrating as he's slaughtering and gutting dudes. Later trailers had that stupid "Bodies Hit the Floor" song.

https://www.firstshowing.net/2007/john-rambo-iv-feature-trailer/

That would be good to dig up. My older brother still hasn't seen this movie. His sons (one 20 and the other 22) haven't either. I'm going to visit them this summer and for sure we're going to watch this. I'm looking forward to it!

Yoooooo, I’m watching this tonight. It’s a great movie.

I looked for it so many times on Netflix over the years and only recently did it get put on.

Another aside, I don't think they make a movie like this anymore. This was part of the most unPC era of cinema/television in history IMO, which to me ended in about 2012.

It was a very solid movie. Stallone went back to his First Blood characterization, a lot darker and more angry. His performance was excellent.

The movie wasn't perfect. Julie Benz is capable of quite a bit better and there are little things like her line delivery should have been left out of the final cut of his dream sequence.

But Stallone showed once again that he can write, act and direct simultaneously at a very high level.

I actually thought she did a great job. Myself, I've watched so many movies and I can't even place her, as to what other roles she had. But I thought she did well, myself - actually she reminded me a lot of an ex of mine. I loved the rest of the cast, but probably the weakest one to me was the leader of that Aid group. Some of his lines came across as a bit amateurish, but I chalked it up to more or less a bit of a kooky character.

First blood imo was still better but Rambo is under rated

I actually thought she did a great job. Myself, I've watched so many movies and I can't even place her, as to what other roles she had. But I thought she did well, myself - actually she reminded me a lot of an ex of mine. I loved the rest of the cast, but probably the weakest one to me was the leader of that Aid group. Some of his lines came across as a bit amateurish, but I chalked it up to more or less a bit of a kooky character.

The Christian leader guy (Paul Schulze from 24 back in the day) is a good actor but the weakest part of the script was his lines. He had to deliver some corny stuff with a character so rigid he'd have trouble functioning in the real world. Some of his stuff was hard to deliver naturally I think. If you think about his scene where he tells Rambo he has to report him, right after Rambo saved all their lives, and then stuff about how taking a life is never right... I think he was kind of trapped as an actor.

As for Julie Benz... I thought it was the worst acting I've seen from her. Sometimes she wasn't hurting anything and sometimes she read just plain false to me. I don't know what went wrong or why they didn't shoot more takes, but I'm glad you enjoyed the performance more than I did.

Dat point blank .50 cal shot was epic.

It’s very good no doubt, but first blood is a bit better IMO.

Oh, and did you notice Graham McTavish (the dickhead argumentative mercenary) was also the opposing manager in Creed?

Seriously though Stallone did the same HGH Rogan and Barry Bonds did

I've never been a big Rambo fan. I liked first blood but that's it the others were sub par IMO. I caught the 2008 version on TV once and it blew me away such a great movie.

Stallone was on a hell of a nostalgia tour there- Rocky Balboa was quite good and then Rambo was pretty clearly the second best and, perhaps arguably, the best in that First Blood series. Subjective, of course, but I think it's very good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back