Rafa Wants a Bigger Purse....

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

One Million Dollars

Good job by Mendes, if people really want to see it then they can pay the price. Otherwise they can wait until the world championships for mendes to defend his title.

Cobrinha is not competing in the worlds again and I don't think anybody is going to challenge him like Charles (at least not that I'm aware of). Rafa may just be playing games about the purse (wants and LV to match his shoes) but I hope this superfight happens.

The difference also is that this is a different look at their jiu jitsu games. I think that the Mundials has to have time limits and points because of the number of participants, but submission only between these two would be fascinating and very different (in my opinion) from a points-based match.

I would LOVE to see this fight and it could go down as one of the best ever. Neither of these guys has actually been in grave danger against the other -- or anyone else in recent memory -- in gi fights and pushing them to the limit in a sub only match would be incredible to watch.

I honestly don't believe he could beat Cobrinha in a match where there is no time limit and no points. And I like Rafa mendes, but Cobrinha is just better in my opinion.

Based on what?

Rafa has come closer to finishing Cobrinha than Cobrinha has come to finishing Rafa.

A lot of people seem to underrate how amazing Rafa really is.

For 10,000 dollars?

You name the orphanage and what time you want it burned down.

Based on what?

Rafa has come closer to finishing Cobrinha than Cobrinha has come to finishing Rafa.

A lot of people seem to underrate how amazing Rafa really is.

Just from watching them compete against different opponents I feel Cobrinha has a better game of that compared to Mendes. Why do think when they go at it Rafa is the first one to jump into 50/50? He's playing for point and using the rule set to beat Cobrinha. Which is not to take anything away from Rafa because thats part of the game as well. But even Rafa admitted that if he opened up his game he would get beat.

I really hope Rafa accepts this fight because I know everyone wants to see what happens. I personally think $10,000 is plenty for a super fight.

Just from watching them compete against different opponents I feel Cobrinha has a better game of that compared to Mendes. Why do think when they go at it Rafa is the first one to jump into 50/50? He's playing for point and using the rule set to beat Cobrinha. Which is not to take anything away from Rafa because thats part of the game as well. But even Rafa admitted that if he opened up his game he would get beat.

I really hope Rafa accepts this fight because I know everyone wants to see what happens. I personally think $10,000 is plenty for a super fight.

I've seen Cobrinha, from a non 50/50 position, enter 50/50 just so he could sweep Rafa because he couldn't do it any other way.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

cobrinha has initiated the 50/50 at least as often as rafa has...?? have you actually watched their matches?

and thats the second time you have mis-quoted rafa, he never said if he opened up his game he would get beat... the exact quote is -

"He

Ya'll realize that in their 40 minute ADCC match, Rafa was the closest to getting any submissions with his multiple heel hook, kimura and choke attempts (and back take in the closing seconds)? Just because he takes advantage of a given ruleset does not mean he would be at a disadvantage in a different one.

I've seen Cobrinha, from a non 50/50 position, enter 50/50 just so he could sweep Rafa because he couldn't do it any other way.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Cobrinha goes for sweeps on the entrance to 50/50 and immediately takes his leg out when he gets on top before the position is locked in. This doesn't work so well against mendes though because he is so intent on locking up the 50/50. This actually happened the last time they fought, Cobrinha started to go to 50/50 to get the sweep and as he was pulling his leg out rafa locked it up and stalled his way to the win.

I will fight Roger Gracie blindfolded and hogtied for 10% of that.

you have nothing to lose....

Rafa has beaten Cobrina 3 times. Rafa is also defending world mundial champion. If he loses, he risks losing that great accomplishment he just got.

This is why I don't think this "challenge" is fair. Rafa has everything to lose and Cobrina has everything to gain.

you have nothing to lose....

Rafa has beaten Cobrina 3 times. Rafa is also defending world mundial champion. If he loses, he risks losing that great accomplishment he just got.

This is why I don't think this "challenge" is fair. Rafa has everything to lose and Cobrina has everything to gain.

Rafa definitely has something to gain, has any other black belt world champ been criticized as intensely as Rafa? If he were to actually submit Cobrinha everyone would shut up and accept him as the best featherweight in the world. Right now the bjj community is pretty split on this one.

Cobrinha goes for sweeps on the entrance to 50/50 and immediately takes his leg out when he gets on top before the position is locked in. This doesn't work so well against mendes though because he is so intent on locking up the 50/50. This actually happened the last time they fought, Cobrinha started to go to 50/50 to get the sweep and as he was pulling his leg out rafa locked it up and stalled his way to the win.

Rafa did not stall vs Cobrinha at Mundials this past year.

It's fantastic. Rafa stalls his way to victory, Cobrinha wins on a shitty referee decision (phantom advantage?) and a DQ.

Rafa is still the bad guy.

I don't understand people.

To clarify:

Cobrinha has 1 win on points in 08, a DQ and a referee's decision. Rafa has 3 wins on points (if we include ADCC) and 1 on advantages.

Cobrinha's taking a few years off. Rafa isn't. This would take away from training time for other tournaments, it puts his legitimacy as champion into question, etc. All the pressure's on Rafa.

It would be cool if there was an undercard as well. Maybe this could be the start of a professional bjj league.

I think the loser should get at least 2k for the training camp and expenses.

who in the world would want to watch this boring shit? i mean apart from other bjj guys like us there just is no appeal. so i don't get the part about rafa or whatever his name is demanding more money.

I think Rafa is doing a Rickson's on us!

im biased but it's a fact that rickson invited anyone that wanted to fight him could just show up at his academy and challenge him right there, plenty did and got their ass whooped, show someone greater than u some respect, u dont know what's going on in a persons head, after seeing this post, it all makes sense u r some fuckin loser whitebelt that thinks he knows everything and ur critiquing rickson of all people, u r the definition of a keyboard warrior troll, fuck off!! anyone that wants to defend him, fuck u too, chino xl, fuck u die slow my fo fo make sure all yall kids dont grow

here comes the fuckin sherdog grapplin forum nerds to come defend lechiens honor

here comes the fuckin sherdog grapplin forum nerds to come defend lechiens honor

Hey brother I don't think Lechien meant to disrespect Rickson. I mean Rickson is a good fighter and he did want more money at one time because he did have a lot on the line if he did lose.....nothing wrong with that.

So I think Lechien is comparing what Rafa is doing to what to Rickson did in asking for more money....Rafa has a lot to lose if he gets tapped by Cobrinha. So don't take it personal...I know you are defending your Professor and that is cool but slow down brother.

im biased but it's a fact that rickson invited anyone that wanted to fight him could just show up at his academy and challenge him right there, plenty did and got their ass whooped, show someone greater than u some respect, u dont know what's going on in a persons head, after seeing this post, it all makes sense u r some fuckin loser whitebelt that thinks he knows everything and ur critiquing rickson of all people, u r the definition of a keyboard warrior troll, fuck off!! anyone that wants to defend him, fuck u too, chino xl, fuck u die slow my fo fo make sure all yall kids dont grow

he is a purple belt & he was making a joke, calm the fk down

Back