Rafa Wants a Bigger Purse....

well, one might also point out that he has... say... 3 less world championships than Cobrinha, but whatever. If he's just trying to fetch a better price, good for him. I just hope this isn't a Floyd Mayweather run around that leaves us all deflated.

Yes cobrinha is great but now mendes is undisputed number one guy. If cobrinha is no longer competing in worlds that just creates more demand for this matchup and even more reason that mendes should attempt to make more money.

Honestly, looking at it both ways, everyone here is right:

1. Rafa will lose big if he lost the match, and has every right to demand what he thinks he's worth. It is the single biggest payday for one gi fight ever, but if he feels it's not enough, he has every right to believe so.

2. It would be great for the sport, the fans, and it would be awesome for these guys to go in there knowing there finally will be a clear-cut finish to the rivalry. 10,000 is also a huge purse, so that's good too.

The loser should at least get training and travel expenses and if necessary, hospital bills covered.

I hope this gets resolved in a way where this goes down, but I sort of have a gut feeling that it won't. If Rafa had stated an exact price I would feel more confident about it. Then again, the investors may know exactly the amount he wants.

We'll see...... I would pay 10-20 bucks for a high quality, no-lag stream.

Rafa should really take this match. If he was able to win it would silence all his critics and he would accomplish a rare feat, beating a dominate champion in his prime. Yes he does have something to lose, but he also has a lot to gain.

This may be his last chance to face Cobrinha since Cobrinha appears to be retiring. Without another chance to face Cobrinha many people will always say Rafa only won because he played for points and played the rules. He risks always being consider 2nd to Cobrinha. Submitting Cobrinha would solidify his position as top dog and would go a long way into making him a BJJ legend.

Hopefully he will take the match and is just currently posturing to try and get a bigger payday.

I doubt rafa will take the fight. I don't think it really has anything to do with the money. He is making an excuse because if he were to lose it would be a big loss for him, which is understandable I guess. I would actually prefer that over him seriously trying to get more money out of the investors who are already more than likely going to lose money on this deal and are truly doing this for the love of the sport. Rafa may be the best (maybe 2nd best?) in the world at his weight but the fact of the matter is BJJ does not pay that well so based on the sport that he is involved in he is not worth as much as he thinks he is.

Well, I guess I can stop being excited about this now. Rafa is going to put it to bed soon it seems.

I hope they throw together another $5,000 and make this happen. I suspect it will be awhile though before this actually took place.

I just thought about a bit and I'm not sure whether anybody has said this - the problem is that the whole purse goes to the winner. I am almost 100% sure Mendes simply wants a guaranteed pay day if he fights Cobrinha. If they do something like 5K each with another 5K to the winner it would be a much much more lucrative offer than a 10K prize. From Mendes' point of view he has nothing to gain from taking the fight and losing it so why would he do it. Both of these guys will not tap until their life is in danger (okay fine one of them would go to sleep). Either way I think this would work better.

Lol, Rafa locks interent in 50/50 and then repeatedly pwns with advantages.

I was here thinking, how can some people have the luxury of writing about what is going through my mind without even knowing me at the very least.

Or to place in doubt my feelings of “a challenge”, questioning if this motivates me or not.
Others, probably cheer for my adversaries opinion about my choices. Many deciding how much I have to ask to fight or not to fight.

First, if my feeling for a challenge was not great, and if I was afraid of someone, I would have changed sports and would have fought many less competitions than that I have disputed.

I have fought jiu jitsu since I was 12 years old, always I was a born competitor and this sensation of taking on challenges has accompanied me since I was born.
When I received my black belt, I entered a category where there was only one man reigning for years and I did not deviate my route, I maintained my path, without fear or discredit

I believe in professionalism, I know that super fights can be beneficial for our sport. But I know my value as well, and this is clear. I have fought too much to conquer what I have come to conquer.
Only God and the people next to me know how much I train and how much effort I put in each day to reach my objectives.

If now they want to promote a fight with different rules, I am very happy for the invitation and recognition, what I have to say is that I am ready as I have always been to take on the challenge and I believe in me more than any person. I am extremely confident and at the same time I am a person who gives values to things a lot and unfortunately I know that this value is not what the both of us deserve.

I saw people talking about that I fight for medals, for much less of this value, and asks me how come I don’t want to fight for 10,000usd, maybe this is a good value for 1 fight in regular rules, but not for a challenge in this manner and without time, where we can be fighting for hours, and at the same time other people may be earning A LOT more than what we will be earning.

I do not see myself in obligation to fight for honor, therefore I do not have anything to prove, that what I have come to do speaks for itself and that it won’t be a fight that more or less decides or transforms me into a better or worse athlete or person.

I am a professional athlete and I know exactly my value and place. I am not greedy, but at the same time I am also not a fool. The value proposed in itself is of extremely good value, and certainly I would have earned tremendously from it. But it isn’t sufficient for a fight with this kind of rules, a fight without time to the end.

For this kind of fight, I would have to cancel several seminars that I have scheduled toward the end of the year, to be able to train duly, which makes the value to be less attractive.

Well, I would like to say this. At any moment I did not refuse to fight, I do not have any problem with the rules or adversary. But for this format I demand a bigger value, therefore in my mind, me and Cobrinha deserve much more than what was previously proposed.

"And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper." Psalm 1:3

A big hug to all,

Rafael Mendes

Pshhh...

I guess he doesnt care about his legacy. Too each's own. I would have loved to have seen this. Even if it was a snooze fest.

Thanks for the post J Sho.

I know Rafa is aware that although he is the undisputed #1 featherweight, Cobrinha is still the fan favorite of the division. Rafa shouldn't just look at the challenge as a 10k prize, but rather a way to convert a lot of fans. For someone with his skills and accomplishments, he seems to have a lot of detractors. Right now people have one criticism about his matches with Cobrinha, that is he doesn't finish fights (unfounded imo), but why not take that criticism head on.

Maybe being a people's champ isn't important to him, but if he wants to be a superstar in the sport, he's going to need fans. There are many many champs, but only a handful of superstars.,

Rafa is worried about the risk in losing, but they compete against each other a couple times a year. Its not like the loser won't get a crack at a rematch. He's also very young so he has time to redeem himself. He acts as if this will be the 1 and only time they will ever face off and the winner is crowned the featherweight king forever.

He's got more to gain from this match then Cobrinha imo. Cobrinha wins and he puts off the inevitable for a couple years (Rafa owning the division). Rafa wins and he could silence all of his critics and win over new fans.

What a buzz kill. This is worse than the Lebron James press conference... because I give a shit about seeing this match.

[returns to mundane life]

hey we're used to this in boxing (Floyd vs Manny) and mma (fedor vs anyone worthwhile) all the time, this is our turn :)

For 10,000 dollars?

You name the orphanage and what time you want it burned down.

lol, hilarious.

but i mean holy cow. rafael mendes won't do a grappling match for 10K?! why the hell not? i'm fully aware that it's the two best bjj artists in their division but come on. it's still just a grappling match. if he were to fight mma i'd understand he wants to get paid, but a no timelimit grappling match? come on.

edit: well shit, if he can't do seminars and earn money because of this match, whoever is sponsoring this should just change the date and be done with it. that way rafa can have his seminars and the match can still happen.

Here's my problem with this....and bear with me just a minute...

Maybe a Cobrinha/Mendes match is worth more than 10K. But how can we know what fair market value for this type of match is when this NEVER happens. Sponsors/companies are not exactly throwing out money pot challenges left and right here.

Whose to say leveraging against already generous offers will not hinder the opportunites for future challenge matches of this sort. He will either set a bar by asking for more money, or scare the money away.

And back to the 10K. And seminar losses. Cobrinha, who is very desired on the seminar circuit seems to feel that 10K is just fine. I mean c'mon, it's Cobrinha! People flock to his seminars and then go buy his dvds because he is so popular. And he is fine with 10K.

Last edited:
Here's my problem with this....and bare with me just a minute...

Maybe a Cobrinha/Mendes match is worth more than 10K. But how can we know what fair market value for this type of match is when this NEVER happens. Sponsors/companies are not exactly throwing out money pot challenges left and right here.

Good point. By doing this superfight for 10k, it might pave the way for more superfights between others which might end up having higher and higher payouts.

Oh well. I guess Rafa doesn't give a crap what people think about him, but personally I think he knows he will lose, and doesn't want to lose.

This is a prime example of what Kid Peligro talked about. What happened to the aggressive nature and fighting spirit in BJJ? Going for the finish is what BJJ is about. I guess not with everyone.

well this match will never happen dammit - how long do you think it would've went 3-5 hours?

Back